Hello from Edinburgh

Smood

Hi all

I have no scope, no lens, no mount, no binoculars, no money.. :smiley:

But as i save up i do have some time, this forum, and a lot to learn and read up on.. :)

Im finding that the more i read and learn..

..the more i might need to (and want to) spend on a quality scope.

So at this rate i'll have nothing for a while, probably.

But hey, i'll just keep on enjoying iridium flares till then!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome

The eyeball indeed is a fantastic piece of kit!

I'll never forget being on holiday when i was quite young in a very very dark village location.

A lit up sky with the most stars i've ever seen in my life..

..and the faint milkyway band right over my head practically from horizon to horizon..

Hi Smood,

Welcome to SGL, you will get lots of great advice on here, which I'm sure will be a help in getting you started. :smiley:

One of the first problems beginners can have is not realising the size of some of scopes especially if you are only looking at online shops. I'm a member of an observing group in Central Scotland and we have a wide variety of scopes and set ups. So if you'd like to 'try before you buy' you would be more than welcome to come along to one of our observing sessions over the winter. :)

PM me or check out the link in my signature for more info. :evil6:

Cheers

Hi Smood and welcome to SGL :smiley:

You can get a good starter scope for around £150-£200 (even a sot better going s/h) so you might not be saving for too long. You can allways sell it on when you upgrade to something more your fancy.

Meantime join a local astro soc and go to the observing evenings - you'll get to look through a large variety of scopes to help your eventual choice :)

Wow, very helpful, you all certainly sound like a fantastic bunch, shame i've been missing out..

Alan - Astro Imp, Mr Spock, swampthing, Scotty - scottydog, faulksy, brantuk, Hemsy, nobbytate - thank you guys so much for the warm welcomes..

And my local peeps blinky - Edinburgh rocks! Sp@ce_d, Pessoa, Steve - stev74 and Neil - smudgeball - Cheers guys

Steve (stev74) How can i refuse, i'd love to meet up come darker skies, i'll check out the links and be in touch.

:smiley:

Peace all x

-Sid

Hi Snood

A very warm welcome to the SGL , my advice to you is down load "stellarium"and it's free, then find a astronomy club, some culbs will loan you a scope and eyepiece

all the best

Doug

Essex UK

Archived