Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M13 Great Cluster in Hercules 2011 (deep)

Tim

Soon comes around doesn't it?

I like to have a session on M13 once a year. Last time I went for 10 minute subs to try and bring out the fainter stars amongst the cluster. This year I have plumped for 20 and 30 minutes, which is against conventional wisdom on bright targets I guess, but it has enabled the camera to capture a large number of tiny fuzzies both amongst the cluster itself and in the surrounding area. I dont think the version hosted on SGL will have them, but please see this <FULL SIZE VERSION> for the finer details.

Scope used is Skywatcher MN190, along with a QHY8 OSC camera. Total exposure around 8 hours or so.

Thanks for looking :D

Tim

tj-albums-mak-newt-190-pictures-picture10505-m13-2011-small-version-large-version-here-http-www-btinternet-com-mr-squeegee-astro-m13-2011-jpg.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim, you really are on form!! Or do you have some demon scope drug? Those stars are tiny and rich in colour. That is one seriously classy image and I really don't know how you did it. Today I said on another thread that I had never seen a world class image from a QHY8. I take it back with humble apologies!

Marvellous image. Marvellous.

Olly

This is simply outstanding TJ. Globs. are high on my list of favourite objects. This is an APOD in waiting in my book. I don't know if showing it elsewhere disqualifies it as a candidate though.:D:icon_salut::rolleyes:

Ron.

Amazing image, easily the best M13 I have seen!

I'm surprised you got 30min exposures and still retained star colour - I thought it would have saturated the CCD by then?

Still, I will say it again - AMAZING IMAGE

Thanks Craig. I did take some 60s and 30s subs for the star colour, but never used them. At SGL5 Peter (Shah) was kind enough to demonstrate his curve technique which avoids taking away the colour, and of course Noel's tools have the action to take the colour from the edge of the star and apply it to the whole, which helps a lot!

Get the Starlight Version Mike, it's more expensive, but worth it :)

Tim,

This is an amazing job of M13. I loved your previous M13 and this one edges it even further.

Really thinking hard about the QHY8 now... :p

Best,

Mike

Archived