Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A passion re-kindled & a lot to learn

sloz1664

Hi All,

I have been intersted in astronomy since I was a child and have not really persued this ambition. As a keen angler I have spent more nights on fishing trips looking through the heavens than looking at a torch lit float. Back in 1979 I made a determined effort to make my own 6 inch reflector telescope. A failed project I'm afraid. The mirror was ground spherrically to an f6.6 focal length, but I was informed it must be polished parabolically. This stopped me going any further. The telescope and wooden tripod were built, I ran out of funds and the project came to halt. The component parts unfortunately have been lost in time...

Back to the present..Christmas 2010 came and a surprise present was a shop bought 76mm telescope, not the best you may say, but to me a passion rekindled.

I have since upgraded to a Tal 1. It was great to see objects in a cheap & cheerful telescope then re-visit with far superior optics. Cannot wait for the heavens to turn.

Hope to hear for you soon.

sloz1664, Sawley Notts....

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sloz and welcome to the forum.

Tal as a manufacturer produces top quality optics and at the end of the day, that what it is all about. Look forward to hearing about your observations and how you're getting on with the new scope.

Clear skies in the meantime!

James

hi sloz welcome back to the astro world, im the same as you, used to do a lot of stargazing then lost my way, and im a keen angler, it was while sitting by a lovely little lake at night that i started to look up again

Hi Sloz and welcome to SGL :)

You might be interested to join our local group East Mids Stargazers (EMS). We meet at Sawley when the weathers clear for observing sessions (at the model aircraft field on Warren Lane).

Click the link in my signature for further info and leave an intro. You'd be welcome to join us at the next meeting and see what you think :(

Hi, Sloz & welcome to the lounge.

Strange how many of us anglers take up astronomy - must be all those quiet nights at the waterside gazing upwards (missing bites!) and wondering................ :)

Hi Sloz and welcome to the lounge. I recently bought a TAL-1 as well but work and the weather mean I haven't used it much yet. Also I made a mess of aligning the finder scope, so I'm waiting for a chance to borrow the wifes car and take to a clifftop and align it on a target 10-12 miles away. Am very pleased with it, the optics are great even though I didn't have nore than a vague idea what I was looking at. Did you know thaere's A TAL users group, look under communities/ social groups/uncategorized.

Archived