Newbie from the gloomy south east!

Struders

Hello all

I'm new to this whole astronomy thing! I remember when I was a youngster going to my local observatory and seeing Saturn through a telescope and from that point onwards I was hooked on science!

about a month ago I got my first scope, it was the cheapest, smallest one I could find, a 50mm refractor that set me back £20! With it I can see a fair bit of detail on the moon and I've pointed it towards Jupiter and seen the smallest white disc with 2 points of light around it. That was more that what I was expecting to see with a cheap £20 scope!!!

I'm now looking to go up market a bit and after a bit of searching I think the Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ is the best scope I can find for my price range.

Anyone got any advice or comments?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Struders and welcome to the forum.

In order for you to come to an informed decision regarding the proposed Celestron 130 and another scope suggested above, can I refer you to an earlier post (detailed below) in which Astrobaby provided a concise critique on both which I am sure you will find very helpful.

Beginners Help and Advice Section

Neilius: "What is the difference in quality between....." Posted 19 January 2011

Clear skies

James

Hi Struders,

I have a Celestron 130eq and am very happy with it. I have to say though that I think that the Skywatcher 130p is a smidge better. The reason I say this is that the star pointer on the 130eq is next to useless, I am replacing mine with a Telrad finder ( suggested by Brantuk and Starflyer ). I am presuming that the finder scope / star Pointer on the S/W 130p is better. So with that in mind the decision is yours........:)

Archived