Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn in clean air 15th Jan.....

Kokatha man

Thanks very much for all the kind comments everyone - like Rob (clayton) I'm feeling bugrd.....except it's from sitting in front of the pc for so long..!

I've decided to walk away from this processing and re-visit it in the next few days.....I have all the preparatory processing done for the captures i want to improve that look worthwhile, but sometimes you just have to take a break from it.....especially when the long nights waiting for that good seeing take there accumalitive tolls....!:D:o:o

Here's a (very) quick processing of each of the channels for the above image.....and an ir742nM capture I took just before packing up around 6am.....:)

post-16205-133877518555_thumb.jpg

post-16205-133877518558_thumb.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be remiss of me not to thank all the other people who've made generous comments here.....I think the reality is that after you've got a bit of experience under your belt it does come down to either being out there a lot of the time or being lucky with the seeing (or a bit of both!:))

Aperture of course is going to have an impact (and yes, a few times since Saturday morning I've thought "wish I'd had the 16 incher going then!?!":)) but good seeing is good seeing.....and the down-side is it makes you greedy for more....!:))

Yesterday morning seemed to be following the same pattern as Saturday when clouds rolled in very quickly and kyboshed the session.....a pity, as the storm "head" was well-placed on the disk: this red channel image, although not quite up to Saturday's data was a big improvement on the ones taken only minutes earlier, and it really did seem like a replay of Saturday was going to occur.....except for the clouds...!!:o:(

ps: wrong UT date - it was the 17th here, but UT day was the 16th...

post-16205-133877519307_thumb.jpg

Thanks also Luis, John and Russ.....it's been hard to stop "fiddling' with the data from that morning trying to extract the best image outcome, because as you imply Russ, that "clean air" is so hard to come by - but this is my last "fiddle' and image from Saturday morning trying to get the best balance between detail resolution and smoothness/overall appearance....!:):)

Now it's back to watching the various weather charts and forecasts etc.....and waiting optimistically for the next occasssion with (hopefully!) commensurate seeing opportunities.....:):o

post-16205-133877519742_thumb.jpg

I'm loving this, long may you continue to have clean air and keep 'em coming !

Dya feel the PGF3 has been a big help in capturing the detail ?

Karlo, tbh my main frustration at present is the C11's ability to balance image scale, framerate and gain amounts even at f25.....and there's no doubt the Flea3 certainly assists with reasonable fps, most specifically in the red.

I've altered a long-standing practise of fuller histograms, instead opting for 75-80% which does not seem to be inhibiting the capture/images whatsoever, and this allows me to run at higher framerates, particularly wrt blue channel captures - and thus have more frames to work with.

Nowadays we set the histo for the red channel and do this with a value in gain around 85-90% of maximum, and then adjust fps to get the abovementioned histo value.....green requires a little more gain to maintain that fps.....and when capturing the blue channel we just ramp the gain to maximum and increase the exposure value (thus lowering the fps) to get the blue histo to the red and green markers in FireCapture.....but i really will be happier once the 16" newt (eventually!?!) becomes operational!:)

Archived