Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Nottingham

BigTfromNotts

Hi all

Thought I would introduce myself. My name is Tony, my nickname is Big T and I am from Nottingham.

Have been interested in astronomy since a young age, suppose being a child when men first ventured into space sparked my interest. I can recognise quite a number of constellations by sight.

I have been thinking of getting a telescope for some time now. Suppose that maybe because I'm at the time of life where I have the time enough to invest in the hobby. I have been doing a lot of reading over the last few weeks. Not going to rush out and buy a telescope yet - gonna start with some binoculars and take it from there.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Plenty of time for that when I start bombarding the site with questions.

Cheers

Big T.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tony I'm from Nottingham, Chilwell to be exact.

I run a club thats mainly around Nottingham and Derbyshire but does extend to Leicestershire and Lincolnshire. It's called East Midlands Stargazers and you can join by clicking the link in my signature.

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.

Yes its a good idea to take your time, no rush as they say as, "the stars aren't going anywhere." Lots of kit out there which are designed to do different things yet there will always be a degree of overlap. One of the things that you must do and that is at some point look through some of these scopes to ensure that your final choice will meet your expectations. It may sound obvious but getting up close also gives you the chance to gauge the size/weight of this kit should you need to move it around or take it to a dark site. Considerations like the set up time, the cooling time to allow the scope to reach ambient temperature, will it need a power source, GOTO or not etc, may or may not contribute to the ease of use and of course your enjoyment.

The forum contains lots of experience and knowledge - we've all asked daft questions so you won't be the first (..or the last!) What is important is that you are able to make a considered choice that will last you for a very long time.

Clear skies in the meantime,

James

Welcome big T this is a great forum your going to have all the help you need here and make some good buddys as well. Loads of help in getting the right telescope as well. I would try having a go with others buy joining an astro society that will really help you make the right choice.

hi dont know if anyone will read ,its my first time in here.i get my first on monday 17th the Skywatcher AZ GOTO 130p never had one before and have not a clue how to uses it,any help would be apreciated no doubt i will need it.can anyone tell me how good the images are with this scopes like plants ect i live on the wirral thanks

Archived