Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Your best astro buy under £50

Luke

It's really exciting when you get a flash scope or mount or eyepiece, but I've been really chuffed with some of the less expensive gear lately. What's your favourite bit of astro goodness you got for less than fifty smackers?

For me it's probably the Rigel Quickfinder. It's solved the problems I had doing daft things like aligning to the wrong star!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my case astronomy books, but maybe that doesn't count as gear? But with ABE books second hand bookshop search engine you can find anything. For a few quid I found an old copy of Hubble's In The Realm of the Nebulae and spent the next few evenings in a one-to-one with the great man. Amazing when you think about it.

But gear proper? Binoculars, maybe.

Olly

Meade 4000 6.7mm Ultra Wide for £30 ...... near Nagler quality for the price of cheap plossl. I love it to bits and ranks as possibly my best eyepiece buy to date.

Had some other good buys for under £50:

Revelation 15x70 for £45

Meade 10x50 for £9.99

Bresser 70 for £49.99

Antares 7mm Ortho for £5

TMB clones for £36

I did buy a Nagler T1 4.8mm for £48 in 2002 which i couldn't believe at the time. But as it turned out, i didn't like it as an eyepiece. So not such a good buy.

My TS Planetary eyepieces from Modern Astronomy for £49 each. THey've done exactly what I wanted them to do. You can get cheaper TMB clones, but the TS ones have a good reputation.

Archived