Hi from Wales

newt

Guess i'd better introduce myself, been lurking here for a month or two whilst trying to choose a scope!

My name is Dean, live in South Wales near Newport.

I've owned a couple of dodgy "deparment store" (usually xmas pressies) telescopes over the years that have all ended up gathering dust before being thrown out or given away so last year asked wifey if i could save what she would have spent for my birthday and xmas towards a real scope, i'm now just a few quid shy of a Skywatcher 127 mak with syscan, not really sure why but kind of like the idea of the goto.

As for tonight my bro has loaned me his 60mm celestron powerseeker until I get my new scope, so armed with my new copy of Turn left at Orion i'll be off in the van to find a nice dark spot!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Newt, another near Newport here. 10 miles North. You are welcome to come here for a look before you buy. There is also a Valleys Group here which you are welcome to join. Look in Communities and then social groups

Thanks for all the hello's !!!!

Valleyman: I've made up my mind on the mak after months of reading reviews so not really a need to try before buy but thanks for the offer. Do the Welsh lot on here meet up often? Once i've got the new scope i think i'd enjoy meeting up with you all, i'm sure i'd learn more in an evening with you lot than i ever would from books!!

Dean

Hi Dean and welcome to SGL :)

Great idea joining an observing group. It gives you a great social atmosphere in which to learn the sky, share viewing experiences, and try different scopes and eye pieces. Plus it's a load of fun. You are sure to find a Welsh group in the "Social Groups" section unde the "Communities" tab at the top of any page. All the best :evil6:

Archived