Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommend a star atlas

I would recommend Nortons Star Atlas. It has easy to use star charts in order of Right ascension, plus it is packed with other useful information. There are other star charts with many more stars and deep sky objects, but Nortons is easy to handle in my opinion, and worth the money. It would be a good start for you.

Ron.

Thanks - I already have Stellarium. I want a star altlas so that I could take it out as I don't want to take the laptop on a cold night.

The Norton atlas looks interesting, is it easy to use?

Airglow

Have seen this book mentioned a few times recently so have just ordered it from amazon :eek:

Alan

I will add that when I first got my atlas, I made a simple separation scale with a strip of cardboard and marking in the degree marks on the same scale as used by the ones at the bottom of each page. I use it to get a rough idea of how far it is to each object or a particular star which I will use to star hop with.

I will add that when I first got my atlas, I made a simple separation scale with a strip of cardboard and marking in the degree marks on the same scale as used by the ones at the bottom of each page. I use it to get a rough idea of how far it is to each object or a particular star which I will use to star hop with.

Hey Hpernova ,thats quite a neat trick you have there. Guess I won't need it with Go To, however I have been using the 925 unpowered when I get the chance and am really getting to find my way around, my bins have also been used a lot more, especially recently, due to the accursed weather.

Alan

Personally I've printed out the (all versions) from http://www.uv.es/jrtorres/triatlas.html , and I think it us great. I want to get a copy printed professionally at some point in the future double sided and possibly laminated. Currently I have printed on A4 or A3 and I've put the A and B versions in one folder for field use, and the C version in another for planning and verification.

I prefer using the A3 version if I've got the space :eek:

For production atlases, I use the Philips pocket atlas for a quick check on what's around and that sits in the ETX backpack. I have a larger format constellation guidebook, but I have to verify what it's called.

Norton's is a good safe bet as a starter atlas.

Besides being a very good atlas with detailed observing lists for each chart, Norton's also has an extensive astronomical handbook which covers almost every topic the amateur needs to know about from star magnitudes to photography.

I'm amazed that no-one has said SkyAtlas 2000 by Wil Tirion. This is my Bible. I find Norton's and the Cambridge atlases far too small to see out there in the dark. It may just be me. But SkyAtlas is glorious and is a Dob owner's delight. My non-laminated copy is going strong after ten years. Wonderful.

Can you not print paper finder charts from Stellarium? I do this for difficult objects but use SkyMap Pro. For me illuminated screens and DS observing do not mix, whatever you do the the screen, but I seem top be in a minority here.

Olly

" Pocket Sky Atlas" for me when at the scope. But " Nortons" when I am making a viewing list, or if I need any general astro info. The paper it is printed on is delicate so I don't normally take out to the scope.

phillc

For general use I use the Sky and Telescope pocket atlas - I have added a transparent overlay with different circles to match the atlas. Over the years I have used Norton and Cambridge but I prefer the pocket atlas.

For more serious deep sky star hopping I have both copies of Uranometria 2000.0. On occasions I have also printed out a FOV to match scope and EP from StarryNight Pro 5.

Mark

Thanks for all the advice on here, as a beginer im trying to research research research, before I buy the wrong scope. Ive also ordered the pocket atlas from Amazon. Some of the links are way way to much for me yet, but ive saved them for later (much).

Dave

I'm amazed that no-one has said SkyAtlas 2000 by Wil Tirion. This is my Bible. I find Norton's and the Cambridge atlases far too small to see out there in the dark. It may just be me. But SkyAtlas is glorious and is a Dob owner's delight. My non-laminated copy is going strong after ten years. Wonderful.

Can you not print paper finder charts from Stellarium? I do this for difficult objects but use SkyMap Pro. For me illuminated screens and DS observing do not mix, whatever you do the the screen, but I seem top be in a minority here.

Olly

Absolutely! I had some small pocket atlases, and got fed up. I take my Sky Atlas 2000 (deluxe edition) everywhere. I would not go for the regular, as it is not in colour (or was not when I last saw one).

I also have Carte du Ciel, which is OK.

Just my 2 cents

Michael

Archived