NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stargazing Live

nebogipfel

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Hawaii sections are good, at least they showed real observations taking place .....

I particularly liked Brian's dig about wasting time going back outside, when the aurora chat was in full flow

And yes I was one of those that saw the Meteor only a few million others did I'm sure!

Indeed much better... and loved the Brian Cox Quip in his link to the last "Liz's holiday" segment...

Billy...

Yep,that was neat.What are the odds though of a meteor appearing just as they go outside to Mark?

yep much better tonight,a few pointers around the night sky Ursa major,orion ect...,nice explanation of the eclipse! cracking pics again :eek:

very bright shooting star caught on luckily on film as well,some wonderful footage of the sun :)

looking forward to tomorrow

Maybe you can sweet talk the wife to spending a bit more than £100....Have a look at this scope...Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian..Unfortunately this was about £150 pounds before V.A.T increase..This is a 6" Dobsonian rather than an 8"...Good luck with the wife!!!:eek:

It's alright - that model was £179.00 before the VAT increase and £182.81 afterwards.

I would like to take a moment to give big props to FLO for increasing the VAT, and not the gross price :)

Anyway, I'm just waiting for iPlayer to update as I missed the second show live!

I enjoyed tonight's show much more than yesterday's.

My 6 year old was so miffed after the show because it's totally clouded out here so we couldn't see any meteors. We both sat up for the Perseids last summer and he wanted a repeat performance.

Never mind,

Rik

A second very nice programme I thought. Maybe the star music bit could have done with ending up on the floor of the editing suite c'est la vie.

I also thought I saw a shooting star during the Wossy sequence - did anyone else notice?

I watched the show last night and really enjoyed it. Thought they maybe could have made more of the clear skies than just showing Jupiter through the scope but it was a good start and I'm looking forward to the next 2 nights viewing.

Reading through this thread I'm a little disappointed at some comments made against Dara O'Briain but Jonathan Ross in particular. Calling someone, who you no doubt do not actually know, a moron and could actually be a member of SGL is totally out of order IMO. It's not the SGL way from my short experience of being a member here.

completely agree with you mate. I have really liked both shows and unlike many posters claim re themselves I did learn something!

JR is most certainly not someone who resembles a moron to me and so what if he likes to mess about and take nothing seriously; so do I - life is too short for anything else unless of course it is serious. learning astronomy for a newbie (that's what he is) should not be serious but surely good fun?

maybe I am not as up on what the papers tell me to believe as others but I really cannot understand this acidic hatred for JR??

Brian Cox is doing a superb job but (shock horror) is actually making more jovial quips than even JR did! I have to say his face was an absolute picture when we returned to him after the 'star music guy' did his bit showing the cut diamond in the centre of the white dwarf!

just enjoy the show for goodness sakes and stop whining on about who's in it!

did anyone else spot the other meteor when he was showing the relationship between the plough and polaris?

It's picked up tonight. My favourite bit was Lucie, she's a fantastic speaker and should be on TV more, a great role model for women in science. Brian was spot on, Mark I felt sorry for out in the cold.., but enjoying it loads, as are the family...which is a good sign

Because astronomy, as far as the general public are concerned, is right up there with train spotting and stamp collecting on the nerdy geek scale.

Rubbish! Try telling that to the hundred or so "ordinary" members of the public who come to our club observatory each Saturday (even in winter) to look through telescopes.

Very kind of you to say Peter and appreciated but i'm not in your league, wish I was, I need a major leg up to achieve that.

Thats what this forum is all about for me though, always someone with the knowlege that can help.

I noticed an M45 pic that looked very sharp taken with an Newtonian was that one of yours, it looked familiar

Congratulations to Nick, Howes, Mike and others that contriubuted to the programme well done to everyone impressive stuff

Cheers

Dave

Well done Dave on getting your images posted on the show :eek:

Regards

Kevin

Dara seemed to have a need to prove he understood what was being talked about and because of that his comments would have proved difficult to understand to the less technically minded.

I think Dara and Brian's onscreen relationship has a future. They seemed a little disjointed at times and it was obvious they were new to each other but I could see there is a bit of a spark there. Dara needs to take more of a role providing Brian with links between sections and maybe giving him a bit of direction by asking questions where things get a bit technical rather than trying to prove his worth as a physics graduate.

That woman in Hawaii seems to think everything is "great" or " fantastic". I think she was trying to make us feel she was watching the programme with us in between her sections. That didn't work at all for me.

Jonathon Ross seemed like he could have been better briefed on what was wanted from him or maybe he was and he couldn't keep himself in check.

I think it has a future if things settle down and Brian and Dara figure each other out a bit more.

I think it's great that they've managed to get something like this on primetime terrestrial TV (on an original analogue station too!). At the very least it'll give the public a better understanding of what we're about.

Awful quoting yourself I know but I'm sure the producers must be reading this between episodes.

... and that spark ignited - Brian & Dara really gelled tonight.

I definitely thought tonights show was better - it held my attention more and it didnt go from ultra dumbed-down to disjointed and wishy washy like last nights show.

Loved the andromeda infra-red-Xray image, and that hawaii-guys animation of the sun spurting out into space. Brian cox is a legend in the making.

I must say though, that doing a live stargazing show in the UK is so risky due to the weather - so why havent they done a live stream to somewhere that is dark instead of hawaii which is daytime? Surely the canaries or somewhere would have been a better choice for a live stream (to watch for the meteor shower etc). A massive, massive mistake in my opinion.

i give the show 7 out of 10 so far, and my own personal hurrah:D

W

Archived