Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazing Live

nebogipfel

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And your HH Peter :eek:, have to say I did smile when some of those names popped up...

I thought it was a great show, a bit of everything and lets be honest, an hour of watching people squinting through telescopes going 'oooh!' won't make good TV will it? Judging by the weather, I'll be watching the other programmes too!

Tony..

As a newbie to the hobby I felt it came across with enthusiasm and made me go straight outside ......oh I can't wait to get mt telescope !

Can't wait until tommorow nights show

I thought it was good, the only thing that was a bit of a shame is that they did not show other wonders of the winter sky, like M42 and M45. Apart from that a good program.

I also recognised Peter's name under the HH so just logged in to make sure :-)

thought is was OK and the target audience would have enjoyed it. Brian Cox was trying too hard so Dara had to keep him in check. Shame they didn't seem to say where Jupiter was in the sky. I know we can't miss it but others will. No much stargazing going on really but it was just an intro programme.

Amazingly clear skies here (we're not far from Jodrell Bank) so they got lucky after the last few weeks. The image they picked up of Jupiter through that decent refractor was a bit poor and they could have done something different, but the usual spectacular hubble stuff together with some excellent experienced amateur images were great.

I'll reserve judgment until I've seen the whole lot, but Brian Cox does need to relax - things can only get better......there's a song there somewhere. He's brilliant on his other show and his new one, Wonders of the Universe will be fantastic I'm sure.

It was good to see something positive on TV. I think it will enthuse some who are on the edge of being interested which would be great.

I do agree though they could have looked at M45 or M42 live as well with that big refractor..Mind you I thought a Minitron camera would have given a better live picture of Jupiter?

Mark

I have to agree, getting new people enthused was the object. I think it did alright reams of complexity are not what is needed. and hopefully we can put people straight in a friendly and non patronising manner when they come here on thursday to get more info.

I was quite disappointed with it. Showed some moments of promise ("this is how you take a basic image with a DSLR" / "it's really easy to see Jupiter through a telescope"), but then usually drifted off into flights of fancy ("and then you'll have a nice image of all these faint deep sky emission line objects" / "see how you'll be able to see this once in 400-year* equatorial band event in HST-resolution"). Hawaii seemed like a massive wasted opportunity, standing next to Kilueua. Maybe they'll make up for that in the next two though.

I thought the apparently genuine reaction of shock and awe from Dara and Brian at seeing Jupiter was very nice :eek:

I'm not the target market though, so if it gets people into astronomy then that is very good. I just hope it doesn't lead to a whole bunch of people suffering from expectation mismanagement.

* which it's not, happens every 10-20 years or so.

PS -- Well done to all of those people with images shown. I'm still in constant awe of the stunning quality of images that people produce. By far the best bit of the programme!

And your HH Peter ;), have to say I did smile when some of those names popped up...

I thought it was a great show, a bit of everything and lets be honest, an hour of watching people squinting through telescopes going 'oooh!' won't make good TV will it? Judging by the weather, I'll be watching the other programmes too!

Tony..

Congrats on your Horsehead shot as well Peter.:eek:

Mike.

thanks chaps.....the M45 in the pre recorded clip was mine too...they originally put my ic348 and gave the credit to Dave Moulton, but they took it out in the main broadcast but i think its still on the web version :)

it was never going to be for those who are knowlegable in the subject but i thought the whole thing was very good and it really has given the science another boost....more of this please!

I think if they had just sat there looking through the telescopes for an hour talking about M42 and other meaningless numbers (to the uninitiated) people would have switched off. They kept the pace just right and were very lucky with the weather. The Sky At Night is too scientific for most casual viewers at 8pm, and is a different kind of programme anyway. Perhaps Brian Cox will fill Patrick's shoes once he pops his clogs!

It's almost stunning to think that we've just seen a programme about stargazing on BBC primetime going head-to-head with Eastenders.

A pretty good episode I thought with a nice mix of sky stuff and other segments of related interest. It does sound like the next two episodes will have more of the basic stargazing kind of stuff and I do agree that it would have been a mistake to have too much of that kind of stuff in the first programme.

I loved how Brian Cox was obviously dying to take a look at Jupiter through the telescope to the extent that he almost hustled the first guy off.

I enjoyed it. It's immensely difficult... even concepts like "convection" and words like "caldera" might throw the uninitiated? I think it was about the right level. I feel a modicum of "Darwinian Selection" is inevitable - If folks are genuinely keen, they will come back, or try to find out more for themselves? I loved Dara's reaction to Jupiter. :eek:

Shades of Father Ted (small... far away etc.) :)

Archived