SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazing Live

nebogipfel

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice programme, just a shame the beautiful clear skies we have here tonight are viewable only from the window as outside is an accident waiting to happen on all the ice. Literally, two steps from the back door is just solid ice, slippery as a bob-sleigh run. Grrrr. Still got three or four inches of snow / ice in the garden as well. *sigh*

Well, I enjoyed it and will be tuning in tomorrow. Let's not knock something that is trying to cater for our hobby. There are precious few programmes for us...

Totally agree, dont knock something thats a help to our hobby.

Cheers

Neil

I thoroughly enjoyed watching that, there were loads of tips thrown in for the beginners and plenty of facts about the solar systems and some aspects of physics. The celebrity presenters seemed genuinely interested in the subject and don't think that they detracted from the scientific nature of the program.

I am little disappointed that my excellent images didn't appear on tele :eek:

That just wasn't really worth staying awake for.

Actually Dara came across better the Brian Cox.

All they looked at was Jupiter. The "imaging" will now have everyone thinking that a DSLR pointed at the sky will give pictures as they showed. No mention of matching the rotation to enable long duration. So from all that was asaid a 30sec exposure on a tripod in the garden gives an detailed image of the Rosette nebula.

Well that is what they said. DSLR in your back garden, 30 sec exposure on a camera tripod, and look at the images.;)

Not sure what relevance the Hawaii bits actually were. No astronomy in them as best I could see, and introduced by someone who didn't really know either astronomy or what she was doing in relation to astronomy or an astronomy program.

Well tomorrows cannot be worse. Can it?

Maybe J Ross will be a bonus.:eek::evil6::):evil6:

OK so I just watched Stargazing Live. The show wasn't too bad actually - and Wossy was fine. If a little assistance from one 'in the know' gets him to make more use of his own equipment alls well and good in my opinion.

Dara certainly showed he is there for more than just the humour angle - he certainly took Brian by surprise.

I'm looking forward to the next two episodes.

Not really impressed.

Information lite, "entertainment" heavy. Bit of a missed opportunity - I think the programme underestimates the density and complexity of information that interested viewers can absorb and enjoy.

I enjoyed it, (didn't learn much - we're not really the target audience) but programmes like this do a great service to our hobby. I think the Dara/Brian double-act worked well and hopefully made it more accessible than it otherwise could have been.

It's really nice to see the reception on twitter; all those people now wanting their first scope, to dust off an unused one, or to simply go outside and just look upwards. Big thanks to the BBC for some brave commissioning!

Nice that they had some clear skies too - if only we were all so lucky, it's currently attempting to snow outside here! :S

As an attempt to get the uninitiated into the wonders of amateur astronomy, I think it hit the mark very well. I'm sure very few of us learned anything new, and you could drive a bus through some of the things described (that guy must have one hell of a DSLR!) - but I'm sure it will have got a lot of folks interested in looking up, which has to be a good thing....?

I quite enjoyed it for the most part. It would be interesting to see what people were hoping for from this that isn't already offered by Sky at Night. Given the weather we've had recently, even seeing Jupiter live must have been pretty lucky for them.

My only gripe, and question, why bring Jonathan Ross into it? OK, he's supposed to be a budding astronomer with shiny new telescopes but all he ever seems to offer is his enormous ego, banal sense of "humour" and endless smart alec quips.

From what I've seen he is just like many of us were when we started out - 'all the gear and no idea'. Some might argue I still haven't progressed much!

Archived