Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stargazing Live

nebogipfel

The best bit for me was that Meteor streaking right behind Mark Thompson's(?) head through a tiny gap in the clouds! I know that feeling well... 'one behind you...too late!'

I hope I have his name right, I have not seen him before on the 'box' but thought his sections were mostly very good.

Oh yes, classic "Its behind you!" moment :)

The camera was extremely sensitive, may have been hard to see that meteor anyway with the light cloud, the camera could likely see right through thin cloud though.

I just watched last nights show. Best of them all I think. And a big congrats to Kevin (beyondvision) for having the last image to be shown on the show :D

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Jonathan Ross was a good option for the show.

My wife, not a huge Wossy fan thought that his part appeals to the, "I have the telescope but don't have a clue how to use it" crowd (like her!).

Obviously I'd love to have a show more tailed to my exact requirements and I was genuinely disappointed that light pollution wasn't discussed -at all- (other than some references to needing to be in the dark and using a low light night vision TV camera).

The limiting factor of the British Isles has to be a mixture of cloud from the gulf stream and excessive light pollution from our cities and towns.

The show was aimed at Joe Public who have never even considered astronomy before. I think if they went on about LP on such a show that it would have scared most people away..

WE know there are ways to combat LP as best we can but the show was an hour long for 3 nights. If they were to go into detail about LP and how to combat it.........nothing else would have been said or shown.

The idea was to spark interest. It has done that. People in time will earn the pitfalls of the hobby..........as we all did/do.

This show was not aimed at seasoned astronomers or even people who have been doing it for a couple of yrs. For us types...........there is plenty of astronomy shows on Discovery and Nat Geo.

Hi Paul,

I suppose what I was expecting to see was at least 15 seconds out of the three hour show explaining;

"We are at Jodrell Bank, which has exceptionally dark skies. The darker the skies, the more you can see in the sky and the clearer they are. Take a look at these pictures taken by one of our viewers of light pollution over Southampton....."...

Or something like that. All this talk of constellations is interesting only if you can actually see any constellations at all :)

Hi Paul,

I suppose what I was expecting to see was at least 15 seconds out of the three hour show explaining;

"We are at Jodrell Bank, which has exceptionally dark skies. The darker the skies, the more you can see in the sky and the clearer they are. Take a look at these pictures taken by one of our viewers of light pollution over Southampton....."...

Or something like that. All this talk of constellations is interesting only if you can actually see any constellations at all :)

Honestly i think they could have taken many different aspects of each nights show and crammed them into just a single one off 2-3 hour show. That way...........they would have had about 10 mins to explain stuff instead of the 2-3 mins they had each night.

It was a good show over all. Educational for many and just entertaining for many more already in the hobby.

My ONLY gripe with the show was when that woman (Lucie?) was talking about the Aurora and all of a sudden we were back outside. I really think she should have been allowed to finish her train of thought.

P.S.~~~I think on the 1st night Dara and Brian were finding their feet as a duo. On the 2nd night they were bosom buddies. By the 3rd night i think Dara was really starting to annoy Brian.

So many of you liked the 3 shows, I was disappointed. It was called Stargazing to encourage newbies to our great hobby so why go into training as an Astronaut would and other non relative subjects. I know the weather was **** but many Societies over the Country set up their telescopes for the public to see for the show and there was not one mention of any of these events or that these Societies are all about and are open to new members etc. Southern TV, bless them covered Worthing AS attempt at the Eclipse and I believe a Northern TV did a similar cover with a local Society, but not this show. Also if you look at the web site there were over 3000 images posted and only a few shown, what a waste of time and effort. I am sure the viewers would have been spellbound at some of them. Nick's M82 was shown, the credit for which was give to someone else !! If they do another show I hope that they leave it to Brian Cox alone and not employ comedians just for the sake of popularity.

Well I know one thing for sure I went out this evening the first break in clouds and fog for 3 weeks or more and after I had set up went upstairs to get my wooly hat came back and whoosh clouds had moved in and filled the sky faster then a rat up a drain pipe!! AAAAGHH.. I really could have done with another dose of star gazing live to keep me sane specially a good weather report on how much fog and cloud were going to get each night just for star gazers.

Dara o Briain studied maths and thoeretical physics which more than qualifies him for co presenter methinks. If they had chosen Jonathan Ross as the presenter I would have been tempted to invade the studio and rearrange his features with a telescope lol The programme was well received I think, I must check the iplayer stats :)

Dara o Briain studied maths and thoeretical physics which more than qualifies him for co presenter methinks.
My slight cynicism guided me to the UCD site:

https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/theophysics.ezc

I see indeed they do an undergraduate course in theoretical physics. But, as an ex-experimentalist, I doff my cap to those of that ilk... I not surprised he ended up as a comedian though? :)

I remember watching the first ever Spring watch, and that was a little chaotic, so it would be good if they made this a seasonal event with 3 or 4 programmes over a week or two.

That's what i'm hoping it will lead too. Perhaps what the BBC are hoping it will develop into. And if they do as Spring/Autumn Watch do and have people dotted around the country reporting on different events, they should have enough going on to make it interesting. Perhaps hold it around spring time when one of the big star parties are taking place. That would give it some sort of buzz and interest.

Archived