Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BBC 2 Live Stargazing Programmes in January

mike.brightmore

The following information has recently been circulated by the British Astronomical Association (BAA) and Federation of Astro Societies (FAS):-

Join us for Stargazing LIVE and inspire thousands of people to learn more about the night sky

From 3-5 January 2011, Professor Brian Cox will be presenting three very special nights of live astronomy programming on BBC Two.

The series coincides with a number of astronomical phenomena that audiences across the UK will be able to observe - including the alignment of Jupiter and Uranus, a partial solar eclipse and the Quadrantid meteor shower.

We want to inspire audiences to take a journey of stargazing discovery by letting them know about all of the great astronomy organisations in their area. Brian and the team will be inviting the nation to visit events run by partner organisations across the UK and we would like to invite you to join us in running a Stargazing LIVE event.

Events

Stargazing LIVE events can take place any time from 3–16 January 2011. Your event could be something that you have already planned, or something you run especially for this occasion.

Free Resources

Whatever you choose to do, we’ll support your event with free Stargazing LIVE resources, including:

 An event map on bbc.co.uk with promotion on air so that the audience can find Stargazing LIVE events near them.

 Stargazing LIVE Star Guides to give away to your event participants. These include star charts for each season and top tips on what to look out for.

 A3 and A4 posters for you to promote your events.

 An Activity Pack with ideas to help plan your events.

Your event can be of any size or shape, but there are a few criteria that it must meet in order for it to qualify as a Stargazing LIVE Event:

 The event should be free for the public to attend, or run on a cost-recovery basis (i.e. charges are recovering the cost of putting on the event rather than profit-making)

 The event should be registered on our online events map and will be subject to the terms and conditions of this site.

 You should be prepared to display BBC Stargazing LIVE branding and offer BBC Stargazing LIVE resources at the event.

If you’d like to run an event or find out a bit more please contact your local BBC Learning Project Manager (see overleaf for contact details).

To ensure that your event details are listed on bbc.co.uk, and that you receive your free resources in time for your event, you will need to send us details of your events by 3rd DECEMBER 2011.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan

if you pm me your email address, i'll forward on the original FAS email.

Callum

Is it possible to save what Mike has said here? I want to e-mail it to a local venue which will help me to get an event going on one of the nights.

Alan:icon_scratch:

Sorry all!!! Nick, is correct, I did not read the e mail sent to me correctly. I got the idea that B. Cox was going to be at Avebury. There is an event going on the 8th at Avebury. B. Cox is going to do a live event on the 3rd, 4th and 5th but not I do not know where. English was never my best subject at school!!!

Peter:confused:

I thought I heard somewhere that prof B.C will be doing the OB from Jodrell Bank, but i'm not sure where i heard it...

Cotswold AS have three events planned - i expect you'll be able to find all sorts of events on the BBC site when they are all published - sometime after Dec 3.

/callump

Unfortately, the BBC have left this a bit late. Getting people and equipment together for public viewing takes time and more importantly planning. Wonder if us astronomers will get the BBC out of their hole?

This sounds to be the same item which was raised at our Leicester Astronomical society meeting last Tues. The National Space Centre (where we hold our meetings) has agreed to hold such a viewing event on 4th/5th Jan.2011 with ourselves providing telescopes etc..

Old Codger

I heard about this a few weeks back, hopefully it will be a good booster for awareness of things astronomical. I do hope that the strong amateur element shines through, following on from 'wonders' the BBC have really stepped up their game for which we must all be thankful!

I had already booked the 4th off for the partial eclipse.

Cheers

PeterW

PS I hope you are involved Nick!

Date: 25.11.10

Category: Factual & ArtsTV; BBC Two

Following a popular and critically acclaimed year-long celebration of science, the BBC – the world's leading science broadcaster – kick-starts a new season of science programming, launching innovative formats, brand new faces for science and challenging prime time subjects on BBC Two.

BBC Two ushers in the New Year (and a new wave of science programmes) with:

A three-day live astronomy event where Dara O'Briain and Jonathan Ross join the BBC's favourite particle physicist Professor Brian Cox at one of the world's largest radio telescopes.

Marcus du Sautoy brings mathematics to prime time on BBC Two.

And this season sees the launch of Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock – one of UK's leading space scientists and a brand new face for BBC Two – in her first landmark piece for the channel.

Janice Hadlow, Controller BBC Two, says: "Next year BBC Two will build on its factual strategy for 2010 – putting really creative and ambitious series in the heart of the schedule with the best experts and the most passionate advocates.

"In our live Stargazing event, Brian Cox is to be joined by a surprising duo of astronomy enthusiasts, Dara O'Briain and Jonathan Ross, for a live exploration of the solar system.

"Scientist Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock is also joining the channel for a programme questioning the moon and the effect it has on our planet; and Professor Marcus du Sautoy will be putting maths at the heart of the schedule for the first time that I can remember, as he goes in search of the mysterious code that governs the world around us."

Stargazing Live, BBC Two

In a live, three-day, stripped event during the first week of January 2011, Professor Brian Cox will be joined by Dara O'Briain as the pair look to the skies to bring the wonders of the stars into our living rooms.

Though he trained as a physicist Dara is secretly a frustrated astronomer – he's been living with an unopened telescope in his attic for as long as he can remember. So, Brian takes Dara on a crash course of the skies, showing him how to spot and take pictures of our sky's marvels. And Brian even finds time to talk to three astronauts currently floating around the International Space Station.

Plus, Jonathan Ross finds out how anyone can be an astronomer, as he's taught Astronomy 101 by the One Show's resident astronomer, Mark Thompson. Over three days, gadget-obsessed Jonathan has to prove that he can navigate the night skies with just a pencil, paper and a humble pair of binoculars.

Based at the world famous Lovell Telescope at the University of Manchester (one of the world's largest telescopes), Dara and Brian take us on a whistle-stop tour across the galaxy as they identify three of January's unusual astronomical events – a partial solar eclipse, the Quadrantids Meteor Shower and Jupiter aligning with Uranus.

As well as coaching Jonathan through the basics of astronomy, Mark Thompson will be on-hand to offer viewers at home tips on how to navigate their own way across the skies. And with Liz Bonnin looking up at the clear skies of Hawaii to explain how the stars affect even us during the daytime, our Stargazing Live team will teach us everything that we've ever needed to know about our skies.

Online, amateur astronomers are being asked to get snapping and get sharing. Brian is asking astronomers of all levels to share their best photographs of the night skies online, to be showcased during the live shows in January. Whether the pictures are of the moon or the planets, galaxies or nebulae, comets or meteors, the Stargazing team would love to see them. To get their pictures featured live, astronomy snappers can send images to stargazing@bbc.co.uk or visit bbc.co.uk/stargazing for more information.

Free Stargazing Live events will take place across the country to coincide with the broadcast in January. From star parties to sidewalk astronomy sessions, viewers can find an event near them by searching the map at bbc.co.uk/stargazing. Free resources – including star charts and audio guides – will be available online.

Am already in talks about involvement with BBC people.

Archived