NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

what's the biggest scope you've ever looked through?

Ags

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20" at SGL5. The whirlpool galaxy looked almost like a photograph. Unbelievable.

Same for me - probably the same scope - David Lukehurst 20" ?.

I also got a peek at M13 through that beauty - what a sight :)

I've been in aperture fever rehab ever since ....... :eek:

A 20" Dob at a star party.

Unfortunately, it was focused on the Moon, not any DSOs.

It was my first rekkie in finding the ideal scope, and I was impressed with having to climb a stepladder to get to the eyepiece.

I certainly hope it will be there again at the next starparty.

Hmmm - "my" 26.5" frac is still the biggest so far. But surely the pro astronomers on this forum have had a chance look through some big scopes?

The Johannesburg section of the Astronomical Society of South Africa gets the use of the Innes Refractor on special occasions - they're pretty lucky. That 26.5" scope is located at the same site as their own observatory.

Hmmm - "my" 26.5" frac is still the biggest so far. But surely the pro astronomers on thsi forum have had a chance look through some big scopes?

60-inches (1.5m), which was very cool.

But most professional astronomers have never looked through any telescope, let alone a big telescope (putting an eyepiece on a big telescope is a very rare occurrence only done for 'public' sessions (read 'dignitaries who might give us money'). It's often not even possible with modern telescopes).

when I was 14, I got to use the telescope in the old Royal Observatory in Greenwich, thanks to a great teacher who was an amateur astronomer. If memory serves me, it's a Victorian 28" refractor - weighs a couple of tons but is so well balanced you could move it with a single finger. Fantastic views of Jupiter and a spiral galaxy (can't remember which one). long time ago now....

d

F15Rules, you're right. although the view of Mars was good through the big refractor, I only had a minute or so to look - there was a long queue behind me! I don't think they would have appreciated me taking out a sketch pad and trying to draw what I saw... :-)

With my little 4" scope, I can take my time to really look - so I probably end up seeing more even though the aperture is drastically less.

Just came across this thread and find it intriguing.

I must confess that I don't know the answer to the question. Sounds strange, I know; but some years ago while visiting the area around Big Bend National Park in southwest Texas, we visited the McDonald Observatory near Fort Davis. They had some scopes set up for visitors. I had not really done much except look at the moon in a 4" refractor before that visit and knew nothing about scopes. I only looked into the ep's as directed by the docent, and I have no idea what the scope was. I remember that we saw Jupiter and its moons. The bands were visible as was the big red eye.

Biggest i've looked through was 24" owned by Hampshire AG. But they replaced it with a 16" soon after as the quality of the mirror was not satisfactory. I think they have upped it back to a 20" now but i've not been down there for 21 years now.

Lintons 20" Dob at the last SSP ... I'd decided some time ago to never look through a telescope bigger than 16" (that being the biggest I was ever likely to own) but his pitch was next to mine and I couldn't resist.

I tried to convince my wife that I needed one and that climbing a flight of stairs every time I looked through the eyepiece would help me lose weight but she didn't fall for it....

James

The Big 20" F4.1 Dob when staying at Les grange astro with Good old Olly P what a star.

Amongst other things we looked at using it we viewed M13 one evening while waiting for dark adaptation it was AWSOME. you were in there with it. we even had to sit down after and watch the lightening over the alps for 20 mins whilst our eyes got dark adapted again. never seen nowt like it and until i ether move in down there or go back i really doubt if i ever will. an experiance i will never forget. I think those who have been will no doubt agree, and thoise who are going shortly have a treat in store. :: Sun * Star * France ::

Archived