Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet another noob...

derherr65

Telescope opinions  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Telescope opinions

• DS2114? Trash!
    • DS2114... a nice starter.
    • Really, 7-8" is enough. Preferably SC or MC.
    • I'd have a 12" Dobsonian, if I could carry one.
    • Go big or go home. 2nd mortgages are great!

Hello. Just starting into astronomy, bought a used Meade DS2114 with Autostar (goto) to find out how serious I am. So far have spent more time fixing the scope than viewing, but i like tinkering so having a good time at both ends. Got to see Jupiter and 4 moons, several Messier objects (just white fuzzies so far), Pleiades, etc. Now have aperture fever, specifically for an Orion SkyQuest XT12g GoTo Dobsonian, but no cash so no problem!

Hi and welcome to SGL from me in Sheffield....I used to laugh when I first heard of Aperture Fever on joining this forum but it crept up on me. I bought my first scope...a 6 inch Celestron reflector and within TWO WEEKS... I'd jumped up to a 10 inch Dobsonion, and I want more!!! It doesn't end there either...you should see th size of my TV...and my spectacles...

Hi Derherr, welcome to SGL.

You need to ask yourself, is it worth spending a large percentage of the cost of your scope on computer motorised stand or on a large aperture? A lot more fun and satisfaction can be made pointing the scope manually.

Hello and welcome to the forum. There's nothing wrong with aperture fever. Apart from making you poor that is. :)

and dont forget the possibility of serisously upsetting your wife (or husband) lol

Welcome and good luck.

Archived