Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Result

Bigwings

I took Kate (SWMBO) out to observe Jupiter and the Moon (very bright). She asked to look at Altair and as she was observing she saw a shooting star... she was so please she authorized some additional expenditure.....RESULT

Does anyone else have the pleasure of sharing a scope with their partner?:):)

I took Kate (SWMBO) out to observe Jupiter and the Moon (very bright). She asked to look at Altair and as she was observing she saw a shooting star... she was so please she authorized some additional expenditure.....RESULT

Does anyone else have the pleasure of sharing a scope with their partner?:):)

Clare my 'SWMBO' will always pop out to see what I am viewing

(or is she just checking up on me??) :)

and have a look in the eyepiece.

She loves Jupiter and will view that for a while.But everything else it's a quick glance,before she shuffles back to the warmth of the house.

She did pull up a patio chair with me during the Persieds meteor shower.She stayed out for a couple of hours,much to my amazement. :p:eek:

Wayne

My beloved watches all the TV programmes on the Universe and Cosmology , even watched a Lawrence Krauss lecture on youtube on 'the flat Universe' and loves watching meteors and looking at Jupiter and the Moon, but having just asked her if she is joining me watching ice form whilst waiting for a few Leonids I got a blank stare !

The only stars my other half is interested in observing are those that appear on that ruddy 'Strictly Come Prancing' :):D

Of course when this load of rubbish isn't on, I might be fortunate to witness her shuffling out to have a look at what I'm doing. When I ask her to have a look through the eyepiece, it's usually followed by the classic phrase, "Yes dear.......lovely dear" and then by the now infamous, "...So is that it then?"

Never mind, I suppose she knows she's got chores to do so its probably best that I don't interrupt her work flow to often!:):D:D:D

Clear skies

James (.... now seen adjusting his hard hat in case it is knocked off accidently by female astronomers throwing eyepieces!)

My partner (Andromeda1) comes with me to all our local obs nights and on holiday for a week or so at Kelling every year - she loves observing and taking pics - but totally isn't into the technical and "talking about it" side of things. lol

My Vicky always comes outside for a looksee, and always with a mug of something for me aswell. Not so much these days now I'm imaging more but we will have a 12" dob soon so she will take more interest in the viewing again.

She is without a doubt the reasoned thinker and will always control my plans that tend to spiral out of control, although dont tell her but to go from a 114mm meade reflector on a plasticine mount to an Equinox 120 on a NEQ6 Pro does lean towards the spiral side of things.....

Does anyone else have the pleasure of sharing a scope with their partner?:(:)

Yeah, my spouse came out one night just to say good night, and we spent hours chatting and looking at a lot of Messier objects though the 'ole scope. One of the best observing sessions I've had. My other half has been absolutely brilliant over my GAS (gear acquisition syndrome :)) and sees that the things I am very interested in makes me a happy person...:)

We tend to influence each other a lot in our diverse and differing interests.

My darling is always interested in taking a peek at whatever I am observing. She is only partially sighted and enjoys telling people she can't see across the street but has seen craters on the moon , Saturn and it's rings , Jupiter belts and moons. Two of her favourite deep sky objects are ngc3532 and the 'jewel casket' ngc4755.

The only time me and the mrs spend time in the same room as a telescope is when she is trying to brain me with it.....:)

Seriously, those indoors will sometimes be tempted out once in a while, but as our kit usually has a camera on it rather than an eyepiece, it doesn't hold much allure for them!

My Kate once climbed out of a tent at 2am to look at the Milky Way - we were at least 80 miles away from any town (we were visiting the US). The view was stunning and she agreed but unfortunately the large crowd of mosquitoes that had hovered above me for about an hour (obviously repelled by my Scottish Midge proof blood) went for her and she had a horrible reaction to the bites. Ever since she's thought I'm just mad....

In fairness she has looked through my scope a few times but is usually just shows polite indifference :)

James

Well, I'm with Astronut because of astronomy.

We would never have met without the allure of the stars...(he's a Scorpio, I'm a Sagittarius..):):)

That generally means we get to feel guilty together when we are are too cosy on the settee to freeze in the pursuit of stargazing.:)

As for equipment, I've tried to persuade him that he needs a Goto 14" Dob as well as an SCT and a 12" Dob...but he won't have it. :(

Does anyone else have the pleasure of sharing a scope with their partner?:):(

When I bought my scope my partner and 2 children had no interest at all.... How things change when you see something :) My 10 year old daughter seems very interested - She looked at M31 for ages even though it was just a smudge :(

My wife and son wanted to see Jupiter ... I was told they need to see it bigger :)

Thats my excuse to spend more wonga :(

Seriously i chuckled out loud at so many of these posts i am now getting funny looks (reading posts on my Galaxy S while watching tv with mrs seedy). Once upon a time everyone else in the family would humour me and look through the eyepiece, now they just shout "shut the patio doors!!"

My wife enjoys coming out to look at the stars and loves the milky way....she even uses the autostar sky tour, unfortunately she enjoys complaining about being cold more, swiftly responded to in a ........ off back indoors then.

i don't understand??? surely she must know its cold outside? maybe she forgot from last time?

My Kate once climbed out of a tent at 2am to look at the Milky Way - we were at least 80 miles away from any town (we were visiting the US). The view was stunning and she agreed but unfortunately the large crowd of mosquitoes that had hovered above me for about an hour (obviously repelled by my Scottish Midge proof blood) went for her and she had a horrible reaction to the bites. Ever since she's thought I'm just mad....

In fairness she has looked through my scope a few times but is usually just shows polite indifference :)

James

Too bad the 'skeeters' got the missus, James. There are many, very effective controls for mosquitoes that can be used. Several years ago, I read that vitamin B12 if taken daily would deter them. After being bitten hundreds of times while walking the dog in an especially wet summer, I tried it and it worked! I've also read that the clothes dryer sheets made by "Bounce" can be looped through one's belt and will deter them. My favorite solution is citronella oil in wicked lamps. Several of these scattered around will clear most of the yard (garden).

Better luck on your next trip to the States. The sky in the desert is beautiful!

Archived