Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Current contents of my eyepiece case

John

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John as you know you and I have similar scopes and EPs. However, my highest magnification is with a 5mm Nagler. I often wonder whether to get a 3.5mm Nagler or just stay with my 8mm Ethos with the 2X APO Barlow.

Do you use the 3.5mm Nagler very much?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I used the 3.5mm a lot with my 102mm F/6.5 refractor but much less with my other scopes. Recent experiences carefully comparing the barlowed Ethos with the T6's Naglers has convinced my that the Ethos, even when barlowed (Antares 1.6x 2" barlow) is a slightly better performer than the T6 5mm. Having confirmed that then I've jumped deeper into the Ethos "pool" - I have the 6mm now, funded by the sale of my T6's.

So I'm at a 5 eyepiece + barlow set now:

31mm T5 Nagler

20mm T5 Nagler

13m Ethos

8mm Ethos

6mm Ethos

1.6x Barlow

Lucky that TV's hold their value so well - the T6's sold in 2 hours for more or less what I'd paid for them !.

Please don't ask the 21mm Ethos question - I don't want to think about it :(

Impressive line up John. I didn't realise you had 3 Ethos! You may as well get the 21mm and complete the set :( Perhaps pop in the 3.7mm SX and 17mm too. ;)

I bet they love the Argonaut?

Thanks Russ - I realise it sounds excessive and I may not be able to sustain this set for too long (I work for a QUANGO - nuff said :() but I figure I may as well have some fun while I can. TV stuff can be readilly sold for a large proportion of the original investment so it's not such a risk - and the views are superb IMHO :(

If I need to "downscale" to some plossls and a single scope at some stage, then so be it - I've had a lot of fun with that sort of set up in the past as well :p

Thanks Russ - I realise it sounds excessive and I may not be able to sustain this set for too long (I work for a QUANGO - nuff said :() but I figure I may as well have some fun while I can. TV stuff can be readilly sold for a large proportion of the original investment so it's not such a risk - and the views are superb IMHO :p

If I need to "downscale" to some plossls and a single scope at some stage, then so be it - I've had a lot of fun with that sort of set up in the past as well ;)

I'm gonna put this thinking past my wife, see what she thinks :( :(

Well I'm upto 2 now (24 pan and 13mm nagler type 6). You do pay more for tv stuff but the views justify the cost..... imho.

Alan :(

You have 2 gems there Alan :(

I've owned 2 13mm T6 Naglers in the past and loved them - such potent performance in such a compact package.

Archived