Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Current contents of my eyepiece case

John

mmmm yummy! I keep going through the same thought processes. my next will be a 10mm Ethos I think as this will set best in my collection. it's annoying that they don't come up used very often - although not totally surprising.

I have been told by others that the 6mm and 8mm Ethos are different in design to the 10mm and 13mm and that the 6 and 8 are not as good as say the 13. does this in any way match your experiences John? I doubt it in truth but the people commenting were very experienced.

how do you get such neat cuts in your pick and pluck foam?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice one Ben - just what I (but not my wallet) wanted to hear!

Unfortunately for your wallet Shane, that's my experience too :(

I still can't get over how well the Ethoi's barlow with the Antares 1.6x - they just seem to be made for each other :(

I don't actually remove any of the foam cubes - I separate blocks of them to fit the eyepieces from their surrounding cubes, then press them down to form hollows which snugly hold the eyepieces. The "spikes" of foam in the lid of the case hold the eyepiece firmly in it's hollow which, after a while, takes the shape of the eyepiece quite accurately.

• 4 weeks later...
I was going to agree with you Kef9, then I glimpsed your line up of ep's!!

I therefore think you have a fairly rubbish collection too.........:eek:.............:eek:!

Doc

Thanks Doc and Kef9 :)

I'm very pleased with the set but it's a big investment and possibly not sustainable for too long if other priorities come up. As has been said many times before though - at least you can recoup the majority of your investment with brands like Pentax and Tele Vue as there always seems to be a demand for them.

I'll be sorry if I do have to "downscale" but at least there are lots of really good, and lower priced, alternatives around these days :p

Thanks Doc and Kef9 :eek:

I'm very pleased with the set but it's a big investment and possibly not sustainable for too long if other priorities come up. As has been said many times before though - at least you can recoup the majority of your investment with brands like Pentax and Tele Vue as there always seems to be a demand for them.

I'll be sorry if I do have to "downscale" but at least there are lots of really good, and lower priced, alternatives around these days :)

No worries. An excellent collection!

I think I'm getting eyepiece fever! Never mind aperture fever. I keep craving for more!

I have to say, I am really impressed by the quality of the foam in your eyepiece case - something I would love to aim for. :eek::D:D:D

I know some eyepieces have recently been purged to withstand any external moisture but what about dribble John, can they withstand salivary expectations?

Great collection!

James

Thanks for the purchasing tips for my NEXT eyepiece set folks :)

If I get a set of the Huygens eyepieces I'll need an F/30 refractor to go with them - now that would frighten the neighbours :eek:

Thanks for the purchasing tips for my NEXT eyepiece set folks :p

If I get a set of the Huygens eyepieces I'll need an F/30 refractor to go with them - now that would frighten the neighbours :)

I think the Nagler 31 is Huge enough!

oh sorry got the wrong end of the stick. :D

Archived