SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazerslounge TEST4THEORY, SETI, Milkyway and Folding Team!

GazOC

why does it keep saying suspended cpu busy when im not doing anything or just or SGL

Because something on your PC is taking a large slice of processor time to perform it's function. It could be your OS has decided to run a file indexing session, or your Anti-Virus has just started a system scan.

The cpu setting is in the accounts settings and can be adjusted manually to suit your needs. For example If my CPU is 50% busy doing som,eting else then BOINC suspends and comes back when the CPU intensive task shuts down.

Remember you PC is constanlt running 100's of applications in the background.

If you type taskmgr into your Start|Run box you will bring up the taks manager which shows what applications are running. You need to look on the "Processes" tab and then tick the "show processes from all users" box. This show all the currently running application on your PC, then if you click the CPU header in the list header you can sort the rows into order so you can then see which application as using the CPU and by how much.

Thanks to some scrotes the UCB Planetary Science building has been without power for several days and as such my machines are shut down as all have run out of work units...Hopefully we should be back online tomorrow at some point.

Now sheduled for Thursday(for us in the UK).

You can always attach to another project like Milkyway and therefore spilt the work loads and if one project goes down (as SETI does quite often) your PC's can still carry on crunching.

An easy to contol it all is use BOINCstats to project manage everythin. Just go to http://boincstats.com/ create an account then in BOINC manager got to Add Project but choose Account Manager and put in the BOINCStats details, then you can manage your connected PC's from the BOINCstats webpages and it also gives you stats on your workloads etc. Here is mine http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/user/detail/0174052052a983a2f537646bacd13d53/

• 2 weeks later...

Now sheduled for Thursday(for us in the UK).

You can always attach to another project like Milkyway and therefore spilt the work loads and if one project goes down (as SETI does quite often) your PC's can still carry on crunching.

An easy to contol it all is use BOINCstats to project manage everythin. Just go to http://boincstats.com/ create an account then in BOINC manager got to Add Project but choose Account Manager and put in the BOINCStats details, then you can manage your connected PC's from the BOINCstats webpages and it also gives you stats on your workloads etc. Here is mine http://boincstats.co...37646bacd13d53/

Thanks for the info, but been about the S@H community for a very long time now having been crunching on and off since 1999, tried many things, but have always ended up back at the basic interface.

On a positive note, I have finally added a Cuda cored Nvidia card to my server so now it will do some that little bit faster as this card turns units round in about 1.5hrs from memory. Also I have managed to get my old laptop working that has a T7700 Dual Core 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo in it...crashed the other day due to a hardware failure, namely the power input is dodgy..managed to jerry rig it for now, but eventually will strip the machine and build it into a different case as the machine is past it's sell by date thanks to the kids braking a hinge on the screen...

Because something on your PC is taking a large slice of processor time to perform it's function. It could be your OS has decided to run a file indexing session, or your Anti-Virus has just started a system scan.

The cpu setting is in the accounts settings and can be adjusted manually to suit your needs. For example If my CPU is 50% busy doing som,eting else then BOINC suspends and comes back when the CPU intensive task shuts down.

Remember you PC is constanlt running 100's of applications in the background.

If you type taskmgr into your Start|Run box you will bring up the taks manager which shows what applications are running. You need to look on the "Processes" tab and then tick the "show processes from all users" box. This show all the currently running application on your PC, then if you click the CPU header in the list header you can sort the rows into order so you can then see which application as using the CPU and by how much.

Thank you will check i thought with my computer just sat there idle everything would just run fine i will have to check whats using my cpu.

Wookie, it is also wise to check the preferences in SETI, I have mine set to run always on all machines, never causes an issue. On the SETI account page I have a limit set there too..can't recall off the top of my head what it is...I think if the CPU uses more than 50% then BOINC suspends until less than 50% in use.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Going to http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/create_account_form.php?teamid=117875 gives me...

"Project down for maintenance

Please check back in a few hours."

Why is that of all the days and hours of the day I could have looked at setting up an account, I happen to pick the exact time that the system is down for maintenance!

It'll be days before I think about doing this again...

• 4 months later...

Has this topic always been stickied? I could swear i have not seen it until today.

Hey ho, the point is i am so in for this it is untrue. Been a seti @ home bod for ages, but have been very slack recently.

I will join the team and get my desktop in, it's on 24/7 and whatever servers i can sneak in as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I've just downloaded this today to see whats its all about, I've not got a clue what its suppose to be doing, but its doing 65 tasks ? says SETI@home

SETI http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_about.php  collects data from the arecibo radio telescope and other sources, processes them into taks and sends them out to us lot to process the data looking for the next WOW Signal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal

These are also many other different projects to chose from. I am currently woking with SETI on my GPU's and Enigma on all my CPU's

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry just seen this link for the first time. Not knowing anything about this is it CPU or GPU cycles that are used. My rig has CPU a plenty but pretty cheap graphics card. I assume it will be the equivalent of bitcoin mining in which case my blumming expensive rig wont help that much but I will happily sign up and donate what few GPU cycles I have going spare

• 5 months later...

I just downloaded everything after not having it for a few years. At least my old account is still there but if I'm honest I'm a bit confused by everything, it seems to be running SETI at least and I'm still in the SGL team.

Is the SGL team part of other projects or just SETI@home?

• 3 months later...

I just downloaded everything after not having it for a few years. At least my old account is still there but if I'm honest I'm a bit confused by everything, it seems to be running SETI at least and I'm still in the SGL team.

Is the SGL team part of other projects or just SETI@home?

Yes, The Stargazers Lounge team is a BOINC team so all your work in SETI, Milkyway, etc., is counted towards the team.

We're doing pretty well as 20th highest scoring team in the UK with 39 active participants. :-)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...