Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lightning strike

I love thunder storms and shot this bolt of lightning a few years ago in South Africa. I couldn't believe my luck because the storm blew in off the Indian Ocean just as the sun was setting, creating the most amazing cloudscapes I've ever seen. We had the odd rumble of thunder here in Somerset yesterday and fairly dramatic skies too, but nothing like this sadly.

post-18666-133877462843_thumb.jpg

Brilliant - it's my ambition to get an image of a lightening strike - since I've had a camera that gives me a chance, there's not been one thunderstorm here. I wait patiently for a chance - thought it was going to happen today but no such luck.

As I was showering yesterday evening, I could hear the thunder, it sounded fantastic. Alas, by the time I'd finished and got out onto the helideck, the storm had passed and no more lightning flashes! I even took my camera....... to the helideck, not in the shower.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I got the shot by mounting the camera on a tripod, stopping down to f22 to get the longest shutter speed possible (5 seconds in this case) and shooting several frames towards a point where the lightning was pretty active. So it's all down to luck really.

I used the same method for this one, only this time with an exposure of f8 at 30 seconds due to the rapidly fading light. Again I shot a series and this image in a combination of three of them, each with it's own lightning strike.

By the time I finished this set it was getting scary, the rain had arrived and the lightning was becoming ever more frequent. It didn't seem like a good idea anymore to hang around on top of a hill, hunched over a carbon fibre tripod with lighting strikes all around and the camera getting lashed by torrential rain. And then of course, there's my wife. I knew she'd be cross if I got myself struck by lightning, so I beat a hasty retreat back to the lodge I was staying at and drank beer instead.

post-18666-133877463138_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I love thunder storms and shot this bolt of lightning a few years ago in South Africa. I couldn't believe my luck because the storm blew in off the Indian Ocean just as the sun was setting, creating the most amazing cloudscapes I've ever seen. We had the odd rumble of thunder here in Somerset yesterday and fairly dramatic skies too, but nothing like this sadly.

i love storms too, the pic is amazing, wish i was there to see it

from harry

• 1 month later...

Archived