Jump to content

SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telescope you'd like in your collection within budget.


Recommended Posts

Telescopes that I have are of modest apature and easily transportable. I used to own an Orion Optics VX8. I enjoyed it ,but  eventually a bit heavy for me to transport to different observing sites. I would though like to own an Orion Optics VX6. Good optics and easily transportbable. Importantly,affordable.

You could easily say that you would like a Hubble equivalent, but too expensive for this thread.

Edited by Grump Martian
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to have a Tak in my collection, but i am not sure even a Tak can cut through the incessant rain and cloud. In reality i am quite happy with my three scopes . Different focal  lengths and ratios . I might even get to use them one night lol 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends on what you mean by budget. If I were 'allowed' to buy what I have funds for (aka life savings) the result would be very different from what I have...but I'm not saying I'm unhappy with what I have.

On the dream list though: Tak frac 100-150mm, anything with LZOS lens, Zeiss APQ of any size. Wouldn't say no to AP Starfire either, or a Traveller, or...even a large Russian Mak. Any one of these would be perfect even if I only got to use it once a year in perfect conditions on my favourite targets.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Borg 90FL. I don't really know why, maybe it's the best option for relatively decent sized aperture, FL to take in most emission targets (I'd use it for imaging), light, easily disassembled for transport and you know, Canon optics.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always wanted to own an Astro Physics refractor. They are like hens teeth to find over here though and command high prices when they do come up.

I had the chance to buy an AP Star ED 120 around a decade back but I passed on it for one reason or another. I sometimes regret that decision 🤔

Right now I seem to be very attracted to an Ernie Elliot brass 3.1 inch F/15 refractor which is currently being sold. That desire is totally illogical though, given the other scopes that I already own. It's just such a wonderful looking instrument though ........ 

Edited by John
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, John said:

I've always wanted to own an Astro Physics refractor. They are like hens teeth to find over here though and command high prices when they do come up.

I had the chance to buy an AP Star ED 120 around a decade back but I passed on it for one reason or another. I sometimes regret that decision 🤔

Right now I seem to be very attracted to an Ernie Elliot brass 3.1 inch F/15 refractor which is currently being sold. That desire is totally illogical though, given the other scopes that I already own. It's just such a wonderful looking instrument though ........ 

I know what you mean, John..

I think it very irritating of Richard Day to offer that scope, in pristine condition, and with absolutely no good reason for me to want it other than the way it looks!

Am a bit, er,  "brassed off" to be honest!!😁

Dave

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A bit “dreamy” because you couldn’t buy one new now, and it would arguably be ethically a bit tricky now even if you could, but for reasonable money I wish I had bought a 5” or 6” Intes or Intes-Micro a long time ago. I nearly did buy the last M500 from the widescreen centre in 2020. I procrastinated while hoping to find a 6” s/h and the brand new compact little 5” Simon had there became “the one that got away…” 😔

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m quite happy with what I’ve got 🤪, but I too fancy an AP at some point, possibly a 130GTX which is travel friendly, or even a Traveller but they are unobtainium now.

Outside that, either a 180 or 210 Mewlon and perhaps replace my current dob with an 18” Obsession with a decent mirror in it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The one that I really wanted but couldn't buy new because of the appalling and corrupt practices of the then sole UK importer at the time, was the Vixen FL102 with all the trimmings - motorised EQ, set of LV eyepieces, the job lot! If I'd have been able to get that scope I'm convinced I'd never have looked at anything else. It would have been my dream scope for life. I'd be wearing a "Who's Takahashi"?  baseball cap permanently? ( For clarity, Baseball is the girls game of Rounders to us Brit's).

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Skywatcher 120ed that will do me I've heard good things about them. 

No idea what the Takahashi are like can you get a 4.5" to 5" one. 

You can get a 120mm and 130mm Tak. The 130 is a bit of a monster and needs a monster mount to carry it well, but the 120 is just about right for a portable refractor. You definitely need one!

The TOA 130 at AstroFest 2007. The True Technology stand. (You'd struggle to smuggle one of these past the wife!)

2016-12-2022_54_26.jpg.b8951e98107944ecf5169ab03c70f167.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

The one that I really wanted but couldn't buy new because of the appalling and corrupt practices of the then sole UK importer at the time, was the Vixen FL102 with all the trimmings - motorised EQ, set of LV eyepieces, the job lot! If I'd have been able to get that scope I'm convinced I'd never have looked at anything else. It would have been my dream scope for life. I'd be wearing a "Who's Takahashi"?  baseball cap permanently? ( For clarity, Baseball is the girls game of Rounders to us Brit's).

In 1986 when I read the Astro Systems brochure many, many times whilst trying to decide what my first real telescope should be I came across the Vixen FL102 on a GP mount.

It was insanely expensive.

With hindsight I should have bought one - it would have saved me a bob or two !

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

In 1986 when I read the Astro Systems brochure many, many times whilst trying to decide what my first real telescope should be I came across the Vixen FL102 on a GP mount.

It was insanely expensive.

With hindsight I should have bought one - it would have saved me a bob or two !

AstroSystems weren't the supplier when I desperately wanted an FL102. I'd saved the £2250.00 needed to buy the whole shebang, thinking I could buy off the shelf. Unfortunately TeleVue decided to import them into the USA, draining the supply to the UK. Some things are unforgivable and I'm never forgiving Televue!  I'd saved the money in three months. Amazing what determination can do!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Ceravolo 5.5 inch reflector always looked an interesting scope. They seem to be held in very high regard by those lucky enough to own one. Another that I could have bought about 20 years back, but that might have risked a divorce 🙄

 

 

Edited by John
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

You can get a 120mm and 130mm Tak. The 130 is a bit of a monster and needs a monster mount to carry it well, but the 120 is just about right for a portable refractor. You definitely need one!

The TOA 130 at AstroFest 2007. The True Technology stand. (You'd struggle to smuggle one of these past the wife!)

2016-12-2022_54_26.jpg.b8951e98107944ecf5169ab03c70f167.jpg

Nah looks just about the correct size...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m happy with my TEC which is why, several decades and tens of scopes later, it’s one of two I still have.  I’ve always wondered about a Mewlon though, I like the sound of those - optical quality, etc, etc, and, of course, its first name begins with ‘T’ 🙄

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Nah looks just about the correct size...

Its definitely a magic aperture for a refractor, and its as good as it gets optically, but it ain't no grab & go! 💪

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would select  an AP Riccardi-Honders, 

https://www.astro-physics.info/index.htm?products/telescopes/305honders/305honders

I could then use an NVD @ F3.8 in prime mode which gives a sharper image. Since the above scope is no longer made I'l have to wait for Lockwood's F2 Newt-Cassegrain (best words to describe it)

image.png.496dc87dd2fa6dd76b7ab8956cc3dd7e.png

you can read more about it here...

http://www.loptics.com/articles/WSP2024/WSP2024.html

It looks like a Newt, however has a custom multiple optic corrector as a Paracorr cannot deal with the speed of the scope.

I'm sure not really a new design as the military have had scopes like this for some time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I would select  an AP Riccardi-Honders, 

https://www.astro-physics.info/index.htm?products/telescopes/305honders/305honders

I could then use an NVD @ F3.8 in prime mode which gives a sharper image. Since the above scope is no longer made I'l have to wait for Lockwood's F2 Newt-Cassegrain (best words to describe it)

image.png.496dc87dd2fa6dd76b7ab8956cc3dd7e.png

you can read more about it here...

http://www.loptics.com/articles/WSP2024/WSP2024.html

It looks like a Newt, however has a custom multiple optic corrector as a Paracorr cannot deal with the speed of the scope.

I'm sure not really a new design as the military have had scopes like this for some time.

You wouldn’t even need to find a cupboard to store that in 

😊

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Megrez 90.

I know the 102ed is a great compliment to the 10" Dob but the Megrez would have the edge for grab and go.

Unfortunately they are like hens teeth.  Maybe a swap advert is required lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.