Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope you'd like in your collection within budget.

Happy with what I have so far. The Meade DS-2102 is the cheapest at £20.00GBP. The views are ok… [not complaining at that price]. 🔭 :thumbsup:

Isn't the Megrez 90 exactly the same as the Long Perng 90 (which I have)? With the exception that the LP90 has improved glass...

36 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

You wouldn’t even need to find a cupboard to store that in 

😊

Plenty of space in the garage….

As far as hiding scopes is this why EP’s are bought so much as so easy to hid?

😃 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ags said:

Isn't the Megrez 90 exactly the same as the Long Perng 90 (which I have)? With the exception that the LP90 has improved glass...

I think the Megrez 90 has fpl-53 Vs fpl-51 in the long perng.

At least I hope that's the case lol.  

I don't even know if it'll make a difference for me with the glass as I don't think I'm massively sensitive to CA, it's just an abundance of caution because I've found with observing that once you can see something when observing it becomes easier.  I did have a long hard look at the LP90 and came close but at the time decided not to.  The main driver of the 102ed purchase was a good price in the classified and having some money to buy it.

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

I think the Megrez 90 has fpl-53 Vs fpl-51 in the long perng.

At least I hope that's the case lol.  

I don't even know if it'll make a difference for me with the glass as I don't think I'm massively sensitive to CA, it's just an abundance of caution because I've found with observing that once you can see something when observing it becomes easier.  I did have a long hard look at the LP90 and came close but at the time decided not to.  The main driver of the 102ed purchase was a good price in the classified and having some money to buy it.

I had a Megrez 90 for a while. I'm pretty sure the ED element was FPL-53, judging by the colour correction.

I still have the Megrez 90 that I bought when I goot back into astronomy in 2011 or so, I think it does have FPL 53 glass. No, it's not for sale and will have to be prised from my cold dead hands lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I still have the Megrez 90 that I bought when I goot back into astronomy in 2011 or so, I think it does have FPL 53 glass. No, it's not for sale and will have to be prised from my cold dead hands lol.

I rest my case your honour.

Mind you I think I was pretty lucky that the 102 came up second hand so I'll not moan too loudly.

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Back to the original question, I have what I need already :wink2:

I think this thread isn't so much about need as want!😉

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roy Challen said:

Can you believe it? Mention Starfire and one appears on ABS, a 152mm no less! I need to ban myself from looking.

Quite a good price, that’s cheaper then what is being asked for a Stowaway new at Skypoint.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

I think this thread isn't so much about need as want!

Well, as the saying goes, "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true"

My logic is more practical though :wink2:

• Like 4

I'm content with my lot really, the only additional scope I might consider is a dedicated solar Ha scope but that may never happen as I'm doing ok with a quark.

Another potential development for me is night vision instead of more aperture, but that is unlikely unless the costs come down.

Sometimes I fantasise about trading up to the very best scopes but I don't think my eyesight is good enough to warrant it.

• Like 2

I haven't bought a 'scope since the ODK 12, and can't see myself buying anything for the foreseeable. Perhaps if I lived somewhere with more clear dark nights I might, but I cannot see any point in buying something that just won't be used. In fact I have to question whether astronomy from the UK has any future, with the increasing light pollution and cloud.

The professionals have long since decamped to more favourable locations, so the only hope for us amateurs who cannot move abroad is remote hosting or robotic imaging, both of which are expensive.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’m like a child in a sweet shop at the moment with three scopes under a year old. I have a 12” Explore Scientific dob that has been out approximately five times, a Tak FC100DZ and a Mewlon 180C that’s been out for two non sessions so far (clouds rolled in) so it hasn’t even had a proper first light. I’m mega excited about all three of them and just waiting for more clear skies when I’m not wrecked from work. However, the forecast for tonight looks excellent….

If I were to add to these, I’d love a larger refractor and an observatory to put it in. I’d also love a bigger dob. I can’t get enough of photos and videos of big dobs. The 20” Obsession would be a dream scope.

• Like 2

As we're dreaming, I'd love to have my FS152 gifted back please! When I foolishly let it go it was mounted on a Losmandy G11 and not the EQ6 in the pic, but even the tube assembly alone would be a dream come true. Sadly, dreams like this don't come true! 😔

DSC_0483a.jpg.f2ade1303846ca5f4a6a5851bd462466.thumb.jpg.148aeb5b6aba93843f9d7a04fcd3dfbc.jpg

• Like 5

I have too many telescopes that I rarely get the chance to use, some of which are the dream ones of others which makes me feel undeserving.  After a struggle, I think a DS Lunt60 would be a useful addition as a G&G.    🙂

• Like 3