Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher at the Yangtze River Delta Star Party

FLO

I hesitate to share these photos of Sky-Watcher products in development because they are not ours.

The photos were found by someone on Facebook, who then shared them with us. We don't know who originally posted them. 

Also, as a UK retailer, we have no information about the products shown in the photos. We don't have specifications or prices, nor if/when they will be released. 

But the photos are too good not to share here at SGL 🙂 

Steve

Sky-watcher_china_1e.thumb.jpg.f2f3fc083e0ed599daf08ce0a756e744.jpg

Sky-Watcher_china_2.jpg.dbfc98af31740fcda7a7e3fd407997a1.jpg

sky-watcher_china_3.jpg.44eb89b36e58e7b706b3767cf836d4f7.jpg sky-watcher_china_4.jpg.b27ff376e051335e3d14281ace427836.jpg

sky-watcher_china_5.jpg.418ac8c170e1fc1daa45cc527e61441d.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Skywatcher developing a strainwave mount isn't completely unexpected. Neither is the choice to put electronics in the mount and/or saddle. But that behemoth (RC600) and the HST wannabee (Acuter) on a mount next to it, are a surprise. Are they targeting the professional market with these scopes?

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

Those photos remind me of a conversation that I had with @Steve of FLO at an SGL star party some years back regarding what a manufacturer like Synta could do if they really put their minds to it and price was, to some extent, set to one side 🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Mind slightly blown! 🤯 Looking at the slightly more modest 8” Newt, I wonder how it differs from their existing Quattro range, and why is it sporting the type of focuser you see on non-Synta scopes? The photo of the label is annoyingly blurry! Perhaps this is also an indication of the new styling and colour schemes of future Skywatcher scopes. 

8 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't like all these flash, blingy colours that kit makers seem to feel the need to adorn their equipment with.. 🥴.

Sorry!🫣

Dave

Don't be. My very first reaction to the big RC600 was also, "did they run out of diamond black, as the Explorer series?" But then I saw the counterweitghts on that eq mount to the right in the first picture. Skywatcher are obviously very optimisitc in thinking that beast will ever be at the heart of a driveway setup.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FLO said:

We don't have specifications or prices, nor if/when they will be released

After close inspection of the pictures, I'm even more convinced that Skywatcher are targeting the professional market with these designs. No need to start looking for a bigger warehouse yet. (Although, they would look flashy in a showroom.)

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, John said:

what a manufacturer like Synta could do if they really put their minds to it

"... OK Midjourney, /imagine that a mainstream astronomy kit provider started producing some really cool, semi-professional stuff, and exhibited it at a show somewhere a long way away. Create some photos that might be taken there, by a lucky visitor. Oh, and tease the viewer by blurring some of the key information... "

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, FLO said:

sky-watcher_china_3.jpg.44eb89b36e58e7b706b3767cf836d4f7.jpg 

This looks very interesting and could well be a very useful new newtonian mount, looks rock solid although weird design choices from Sky-watcher with the green accents on the mount and red on the scope, almost a Christmas colour scheme 😂

By why oh why a straight through finder? A RACI would be far more useful and comfortable on that setup...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, John said:

Those photos remind me of a conversation that I had with @Steve of FLO at an SGL star party some years back regarding what a manufacturer like Synta could do if they really put their minds to it and price was, to some extent, set to one side 🙂

The Chinese can manufacture to whatever standard is required, including the very highest. Initially, they copied other, more expensive, Japanese-made products. Now, they collectively dominate the astronomy market, so are also competing against each other. Their product designs have become more innovative and are manufactured to a higher standard. Not only Synta/Sky-Watcher. The same is true for iOptron, Sharpstar/Askar, United Optics, ZWO, etc. All have improved compared to only five years ago. These are interesting times 🙂 

Steve

• Like 6

13 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't like all these flash, blingy colours that kit makers seem to feel the need to adorn their equipment with.. 🥴.

I am not a fan of bling either, but we are in the minority ☺️

Steve

• Like 2

Not interested in Harmonic Drive...

HOWEVER

If Synta / Skywatcher brought out a Direct Drive - Encoder mount to fill in the space left by ASA, that could be VERY interesting. Especially at Skywatcher rather than ASA prices.

On 21/11/2023 at 12:04, FLO said:

The tube rings have what appear to be quick-release levers. That is an interesting idea. 

Balancing the scope will be a challenge on EQ mounts, unless they introduce a longer carry handle which can accommodate a rail guide scope as well.

I don't like bling as well.

• 2 weeks later...