Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aurora - Red alert 4th Nov 2023

Stu

Very showery here, but there are now a few small breaks in the cloud. Following the Red Alert it was raining and the Glendale app showed no sightings down this way. Some sightings are now being reported, though, so I’ll keep an eye on conditions and have some kit ready!

Good luck! Mike.

On Orkney, was a great show earlier but a bit quieter now (21:40) - though still a nice double arc with rays and structure going on. Will need to get another splurge if it's going to be seen from further south which may happen, and with the Moon rising will get in the way. Pics still on my DSLR but here's a recent shot from my aurora-cam.

image.thumb.jpeg.b8a65310f515045fa6a076f4d5f94a62.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just returned home now, as it has clouded up towards the North.

Using a 24mm lens in portrait on a full-frame camera, the purple of the aurora was filling the frame (and I’m in Cornwall). Not a lot of structure visible, though, just a glow. Will keep an eye on cloud conditions and aurora activity, and hopefully be heading out again before long.

Good luck, and clear skies. Mike.

Edited by mcrowle
Typo
  • Like 6

I should add that, on reviewing the photos, I am seeing structure in the aurora. However it is competing for attention behind the drifting cloud. Will post an image or two later :) .

Regards, Mike.

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 1

I managed to capture some Aurora glow this evening just before 6, before the clouds rolled in taken with iPhone 12. Nothing much, but the first time I've managed to get an image so really please.

Aurora glow 5 nov.jpg

Auror 5 nov..JPG

Edited by andrew63
photo
  • Like 8