Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

Latest addition to my "other" (and daytime) hobby... photography... the Olympus OM-1 😍

Arrived yesterday, and I had a few hours to play with it (ahem, set it up properly 😆).... within a few hours of it arriving, I spotted a Buzzard on a nearby (ish) barn roof and took a quick "snap" with this camera... the bird auto detect, auto-focus, ergonomics and image quality are just amazing, and it almost feels like cheating (some skill still required... so more practice needed!)

Coupled with the Leica 100-400 (equivalent to 200-800 full frame), this is for sure going to become my primary camera, alongside the Lumix G9 I started with. I have no doubt it will be great for lunar photography too 😃

Now, I just need to find more time again 😬🤞

IMG_2102.jpeg

Buzzard on Rooftop (08 Aug 2023).jpg

Edited by HollyHound
Added photos
  • Like 26

Not your usual astro kit but I was getting so fed up with my various astro related toys scattered around the house, camera battery chargers or usb cables never at hand when needed. So a trip to ScrewFix and here's the solution, quite happy with it ; slowly filling it up but now at least I will know what room I should be looking in :) 

Jim 

Astro Tool Chest 1.jpg

Astro Tool Chest 2.jpg

Edited by saac
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, saac said:

Not your usual astro kit but I was getting so fed up with my various astro related toys scattered around the house, camera battery chargers or usb cables never at hand when needed. So a trip to ScrewFix and here's the solution, quite happy with it ; slowly filling it up but now at least I will know what room I should be looking in :) 

Jim 

Astro Tool Chest 1.jpg

Astro Tool Chest 2.jpg

Just need a Takahashi sticker on it.

Beautiful colour.  Always thought tool drawers only came in red or blue... Or rust.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have joined the gang.  I really liked my setting circles and I'm glad I've got them as a backup, but they only really work on the dob, not my alt az mount.

Also joining will be my kids who are going to get the scope (transplanted to some rings).  I've got an ST80 and a couple newts but this is the first 'proper' sized refractor I've held and seen up close.  There is definitely something 'tingly' about a long refractor.  Can believe how light it is though.

Also got a 10" astroessential dew shield after a couple abortive DIY attempts.  Last session got dewed out on the secondary and it's the absolute pits.  Tested it on the scope and it fits with a couple cm (like about 2cm)of overlap.

I'm going to migrate to heated dew removers so picked up a secondary dew heater as well.  It's hopefully going to be a contingency.

PXL_20230811_185754441~2.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, saac said:

Jim 

Astro Tool Chest 1.jpg

Astro Tool Chest 2.jpg

~

Fits nicely into the space provided. Do you think it's big enough?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

~

Fits nicely into the space provided. Do you think it's big enough?

You know what it's like, astro kit has an annoying habit of multiplying when you are not looking :) 

Jim 

• Haha 5

The postman delivered a few packages in the last couple weeks! A very nice looking Sky-Watcher Startravel 120, together with a GSO Focuser (I have to admit the stock focuser went straight back to the box) and an ES 82° 30mm eyepiece. This will make a nice grab and go scope!

I also got a handle and a matching dovetail bar, both from the brand Bresser, which makes the scope easier to carry. I also replaced some parts, like the tube rings' knobs, I find them really hard to fasten properly. The focuser is great, but the rotating functionality wasn't very smooth. Turns out, the 3 set screws are either too lose or too tight... I couldn't find the right balance and was afraid the whole thing would wobble, so I removed the set screws and used some thumb screws I had lying around. That's 4 screws to turn if I want to rotate the focuser, but at least it's secure and doesn't require any tool. Finally I salvaged a couple finder shoes and attached them on the handle and the focuser, to fit a finder, ASIAIR or phone holder.

I also need to figure out how go fit my Telrad in here... Maybe some 3D printer support? Time will tell!

Anyways... I had first light a few days ago, between clouds, and could observe Andromeda and a explore the Cygnus region, before clouds came back. The scope is very nice and I couldn't see any chromatic aberration so far. Once the Moon is back and the clouds are gone, I'm going to give this a try to see how bad CA is, and see if my filters can improve the view somehow.

IMG_4743.jpeg

• Like 14

On 11/08/2023 at 20:13, Ratlet said:

I have joined the gang.  I really liked my setting circles and I'm glad I've got them as a backup, but they only really work on the dob, not my alt az mount.

Also joining will be my kids who are going to get the scope (transplanted to some rings).  I've got an ST80 and a couple newts but this is the first 'proper' sized refractor I've held and seen up close.  There is definitely something 'tingly' about a long refractor.  Can believe how light it is though.

Also got a 10" astroessential dew shield after a couple abortive DIY attempts.  Last session got dewed out on the secondary and it's the absolute pits.  Tested it on the scope and it fits with a couple cm (like about 2cm)of overlap.

I'm going to migrate to heated dew removers so picked up a secondary dew heater as well.  It's hopefully going to be a contingency.

PXL_20230811_185754441~2.jpg

It's suprisingly good for such a light scope. Though I cannibalised my upgraded ST80 and swapped the tube rings and focuser with the Celestron 80AZ. The focuser is a GSO one and has a shorter drawtube so needs an extension or 2" diagonal. Even with those added it's still light and gave some good viewing, including Saturn, last week when a fellow SGL'er came over to see the Starsense in action.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

It's suprisingly good for such a light scope. Though I cannibalised my upgraded ST80 and swapped the tube rings and focuser with the Celestron 80AZ. The focuser is a GSO one and has a shorter drawtube so needs an extension or 2" diagonal. Even with those added it's still light and gave some good viewing, including Saturn, last week when a fellow SGL'er came over to see the Starsense in action.

I'm very impressed to be honest.  I usually test my scopes out on a flag pole I can see from my house and it was remarkably CA free and pleasingly sharp, although this is no guarantee for astronomy.  The focuser is pretty naff though and I suspect it will want upgrading.  My mind rebels paying as much for the focuser as I did for the scope though!  Need to find a middle ground somehow.  I think it'll do well for planetary, doubles and for quick trips outside darting through the clouds.  Hoping it will give me a flavour for refractors as I've got my eye on one of the Starfield 102's.

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Space Oddities said:

The postman delivered a few packages in the last couple weeks! A very nice looking Sky-Watcher Startravel 120, together with a GSO Focuser (I have to admit the stock focuser went straight back to the box) and an ES 82° 30mm eyepiece. This will make a nice grab and go scope!

I also got a handle and a matching dovetail bar, both from the brand Bresser, which makes the scope easier to carry. I also replaced some parts, like the tube rings' knobs, I find them really hard to fasten properly. The focuser is great, but the rotating functionality wasn't very smooth. Turns out, the 3 set screws are either too lose or too tight... I couldn't find the right balance and was afraid the whole thing would wobble, so I removed the set screws and used some thumb screws I had lying around. That's 4 screws to turn if I want to rotate the focuser, but at least it's secure and doesn't require any tool. Finally I salvaged a couple finder shoes and attached them on the handle and the focuser, to fit a finder, ASIAIR or phone holder.

I also need to figure out how go fit my Telrad in here... Maybe some 3D printer support? Time will tell!

Anyways... I had first light a few days ago, between clouds, and could observe Andromeda and a explore the Cygnus region, before clouds came back. The scope is very nice and I couldn't see any chromatic aberration so far. Once the Moon is back and the clouds are gone, I'm going to give this a try to see how bad CA is, and see if my filters can improve the view somehow.

IMG_4743.jpeg

Loving the pictures in the background ...

• Like 1

On 15/08/2023 at 10:16, Space Oddities said:

IMG_4743.jpeg

Very nice, I am thinking of getting an SW ST120 as a grab and go scope when I can scrape up enough money.

1 hour ago, glafnazur said:

Very nice, I am thinking of getting an SW ST120 as a grab and go scope when I can scrape up enough money.

They're a fun widefield refractor but a one trick pony. Not very grabby or goey to me hence why I sold it. I wouldn't knock the SW120ST but don't expect to enjoy heading past 100x magnification or using a titchy mount. 🙂

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
Titchy
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

They're a fun widefield refractor but a one trick pony. Not very grabby or goey to me hence why I sold it. I wouldn't knock the SW120ST but don't expect to enjoy heading past 100x magnification or using a itchy mount. 🙂

I just want it for widefield, I was thinking of mounting it on a Sky-Watcher AZ GTi WiFi Alt-Az.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

At the very least the AZGTI will not perform very well and at worst break... I've tried that combo...

Thanks,  I thought it'd be ok with the mount saying 5kg and the scope being 4.1kg, I'll have to rethink whilst I try to get some money together. Maybe a 102 instead 

• Like 1

On 16/08/2023 at 18:32, glafnazur said:

Thanks,  I thought it'd be ok with the mount saying 5kg and the scope being 4.1kg, I'll have to rethink whilst I try to get some money together. Maybe a 102 instead 

Yes I confirm a 120ST would probably be too much for the little AZ-GTi mount, but I read that people were using the 102 with it :) It would make a good grab and go setup as well!

On 16/08/2023 at 10:41, Astroscot2 said:

Loving the pictures in the background ...

Love it too! I have 3 of these actually, they are engravings from Jules Verne books that I found on Etsy. I happen to live in Jule Verne's hometown, in a boulevard that bears its name, so I thought it was à propos. Always loved his books as a kid!

I wish I lived in one of the streets nearby though, I mean, how cool would it be to have as your address "123, Captain Nemo street" :) 

Here's the shop I got it from, they make very good quality prints (my picture doesn't do justice to them): https://www.etsy.com/fr/shop/AtelierGaronne

image.thumb.jpeg.7c29c932fbd2e01fbb9eb617446ecc86.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Space Oddities said:

Yes I confirm a 120ST would probably be too much for the little AZ-GTi mount, but I read that people were using the 102 with it :) It would make a good grab and go setup as well!

Love it too! I have 3 of these actually, they are engravings from Jules Verne books that I found on Etsy. I happen to live in Jule Verne's hometown, in a boulevard that bears its name, so I thought it was à propos. Always loved his books as a kid!

I wish I lived in one of the streets nearby though, I mean, how cool would it be to have as your address "123, Captain Nemo street" :) 

Here's the shop I got it from, they make very good quality prints (my picture doesn't do justice to them): https://www.etsy.com/fr/shop/AtelierGaronne

image.thumb.jpeg.7c29c932fbd2e01fbb9eb617446ecc86.jpeg

They're really cool :) Just seeing them makes me want to read the books again.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2023 at 17:23, HollyHound said:

Latest addition to my "other" (and daytime) hobby... photography... the Olympus OM-1 😍

Arrived yesterday, and I had a few hours to play with it (ahem, set it up properly 😆).... within a few hours of it arriving, I spotted a Buzzard on a nearby (ish) barn roof and took a quick "snap" with this camera... the bird auto detect, auto-focus, ergonomics and image quality are just amazing, and it almost feels like cheating (some skill still required... so more practice needed!)

Coupled with the Leica 100-400 (equivalent to 200-800 full frame), this is for sure going to become my primary camera, alongside the Lumix G9 I started with. I have no doubt it will be great for lunar photography too 😃

Now, I just need to find more time again 😬🤞

IMG_2102.jpeg

Buzzard on Rooftop (08 Aug 2023).jpg

A fabulous setup Gary and a great 'first image'. I own an Olympus EM1 MkII and it's a terrific performer with my Oly glass and my vintage glass too.

Can't wait to some lunar shots from it. Do you use an LPL filter? (Sorry, drifted off topic - you can PM me if you like).

• Thanks 1

These little babies were patiently waiting for me when I arrived home - nice postman .  My old wheels, well let's say if longboards had MOTs it would be a definite fail.   80 mm of sweet rolling  happiness :) 

Jim 

thumbnail_IMG_2394.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2395.jpg

Edited by saac
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, moggi1964 said:

A fabulous setup Gary and a great 'first image'. I own an Olympus EM1 MkII and it's a terrific performer with my Oly glass and my vintage glass too.

Can't wait to some lunar shots from it. Do you use an LPL filter? (Sorry, drifted off topic - you can PM me if you like).

Thanks 🙂

The EM1 MkII is a great camera... the only real difference with the OM-1 is the extra subject detection, faster auto-focus and frame rates up to 120, although the Heron photos I took (on the "Wildlife" post) where only done on single frame (was still learning the camera then).

My current avatar (moon) was taken with the PL100-400 (at 400mm) on my Lumix GX8, so will be very interested to see what I can get with this one (sensor is a little better apparently)... not using filters at the moment, as it's fairly dark(ish) sky here on the farm (Bortle 5) 🤞

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, saac said:

These little babies were patiently for me when I arrived home - nice postman .  My old wheels, well let's say if longboard had MOTs it would be a definite fail.   80 mm of sheet rolling  happiness :) 

Jim 

thumbnail_IMG_2394.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2395.jpg

Takes me back to drooling over Kryptonite wheels and Gullwing trucks back in the 70's. My mate could afford those for his skateboard, I had to settle for something from Woolworths but I was faster than him when I laid down on my skateboard 😁 Totally bonkers now I think about it: chin about 3" above the road. The naivety of youth.

• Like 2