Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

34 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Do you have a link to the focuser?  I've been enjoying my ST80 and will be picking up a Starsense 80 in a month of so.  Could be a nice wee upgrade

I got it used but this is the one

The Starsense 80 focuser is a bit plasticky but has a long focus tube.  Hence fitting another focuser may need the use of an extender or 2" diagonal. Waiting some clear skies to really try the Celestron out properly - it's a lot lighter than the Lyra 102mm achro I'm aiming to use the Sabre/Starsense setup with.

15 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

I got it used but this is the one

The Starsense 80 focuser is a bit plasticky but has a long focus tube.  Hence fitting another focuser may need the use of an extender or 2" diagonal. Waiting some clear skies to really try the Celestron out properly - it's a lot lighter than the Lyra 102mm achro I'm aiming to use the Sabre/Starsense setup with.

Cheers for that.  If you do get out with it and give it a good run, please post an observing report and let us know.  Couple people have said the optics are actually pretty good.

• Like 1

A really exciting modified Bahtinov mask from RVO. I just need clear skies and my Skytee 2 now.

Don't forget to remove the protective film on each side to reveal the nice shiny black surfaces underneath!

Bahtinov_Mask_105.jpg

• Like 6

I use

47 minutes ago, Chaz2b said:

What this is, is an outdoor swing egg chair cover, now repurposed as my scopes cover. Water and uv proof just £7.99 from eBay.

apologies for the poor photo,

chaz

IMG_7001.jpeg

Nice. I use a chimenea cover for the same thing - better specced than most astronomy covers and a fraction of the price!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Left and right pages as examples 

Karkoschka's book has proved very useful to me over the years, there's nothing else like it, so much info crammed into a small handy book for use at the eyepiece and the new colour edition looks like an improvement so I've ordered a copy, just wish it was ring-bound and dew proof.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I haven’t had much of a chance to get to grips with the book. It’s certainly unlikely any other atlas or sky guide.

It's a bit of a "Marmite" book, you'll either love it or hate it! 

Lots of keys and codes to become familiar with, so much information, I've found the older B&W edition very handy, along with the Pocket Sky Atlas. Probably showing my age though as most folks use smartphone apps these days😃.

• Like 1

Decided to cheer myself up with all the poor weather about. My scopes are a 4” Starfield and a 12” dobsonian so I decided to get something in between that wasn’t expensive as I’m busy saving for a larger refractor. I had a spare EQ5 so I had DPD deliver a 150PL for when the weather doesn’t merit setting up the 12”. All collimated and ready for its first light.

8CBC8F80-0ADD-4BA9-ABEB-7B5003949B0E.thumb.jpeg.cd9f9e46c2d6d00464696ec9e9b25a51.jpeg83778F9D-423C-4C3A-AFA1-C71E261C5EA1.thumb.jpeg.67a8686db299f0559cf559a7f8a3dc00.jpeg

• Like 16

On 02/08/2023 at 16:42, Chaz2b said:

What this is, is an outdoor swing egg chair cover, now repurposed as my scopes cover. Water and uv proof just £7.99 from eBay.

apologies for the poor photo,

chaz

IMG_7001.jpeg

Just ordered myself one of these. Much better than the plastic dust sheet I’m using at present.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, YogSothoth said:

Took delivery of a new scope today 😀. Excellent service fro FLO as usual. It is, of course, thick cloud outside.

IMG_1909.jpeg

That's because you opened it in day light! All the clouds escaped and immediately went into stratus mode.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, YogSothoth said:

Sorry, should have said. It’s the FC100 DC. Looking forward to some clear skies- I think it looks like mid August might be OK 😂

Good choice - my DF is quite lovely. Of course you've now committed us to more cloud  :biggrin:

A good tip for the DC is if you run out of in focus the green spacer comes off :wink2:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Good choice - my DF is quite lovely. Of course you've now committed us to more cloud  :biggrin:

A good tip for the DC is if you run out of in focus the green spacer comes off :wink2:

Thanks for the tip, but I don’t see a green spacer. There is the longer extension tube, which I’ve removed and a much shorter spacer that but they are both black. It’s flat grey sky here so not much to try and focus on at the moment