SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What's the top of your wish list? And why?

bomberbaz

22 hours ago, Greymouser said:

I already have the ES 20mm and 26 mm 62 degree eyepieces. The 26 is one of my favourites, it really is superb, you can grab it from my cold dead fingers! 

Been having a rethink and I can specifically say I need greymouser to add an amendment to his will and suddenly get very ill 😂

Only joking, I am happy to wait 😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

A Ioptron AZ pro so its easier for me set up not carrying a hefty mount or power supply.

Good call. I moved mine off the Tri Pier onto a LiteRoc tripod last Winter, and it’s now a super light weight, quick to setup, but capable mount. Runs easily for a whole evening without needing a charge and as a bonus, connects to SkySafari 👍

Having said that, on my wish list are the motorising kit for the AZ100 and (eventually) a TSA120… although I’m worried the latter will stop me loving my FC-100DZ and/or Mewlon 😬

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

The most wishful thing for me would be a plot of land within a 3-hour drive under dark(er) skies - my home is a Bortle 7 or 8.  It would have clear horizons and most preferably be on a lake.

Something that I might be able to realize is finding my "Goldilocks" refractor.  I have fast 80mm and 120mm fracs and a 102ED.  Love the sharpness of the 102, but it's on the heavy side for grab-n-go and on the upper end of what my mounts / tripods can handle.  I don't do planetary observing, but I like doing lunar as well as deepsky.

So do I buy a 70ED or an 80ED or a 90 achro or a 102 achro?  The EDs would be better for lunar observing but the achros would keep the load on my mounts down.  And which scope(s) do I sell to help finance the new one?  🤔

• Like 1

18 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

As I am a visual only observer, the top of my wish list is to downsize to just two telescopes to simplify my life. 

I had a similar revelation yesterday. Inflation is increasing and higher energy bills are looming, so before prices go up more I worked out if I sell one mount I now hardly use (AZGTI), the Skymax 127 I only really use to observe the moon, and my 4" fpl-51 refractor, I'll have enough for an fpl-53 4", likely lifetime grab 'n go scope I will use regularly on a choice of my remaining two mounts (AZ5 for quick sessions and AVX for longer stints).

Just one easy to mount quality refractor & a couple of binoculars are all I need or have the time to use.

So... to answer the op's question. The top of my wish list is a Starfield 102 apo. 😀

Followed by a cottage in dark skies, with fast broadband and a fully automated dome obsy with a massive scope we can argue about when I win the lottery!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
similar
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'm back on this thread.  I would like a recoat for my 30" mirror.  At present, the only aluminisers I know of that can handle the size are VCL in the London area.

The dilemma is, do I crate it up for a two way courier journey or arrange a two way double trip to deliver and collect personally.     🤔 

23 hours ago, DaveS said:

Well, OK if you twist my arm, then a new camera for the ODK 12 might be attractive.

One of These perhaps though I prefer the QHY Version. But would need new filters and wheel.

It would give me a wider FoV plus the ability to crop anywhere.

20 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I like to keep my wishes within the realm of the obtainable to avoid a lifetime of disappointment.

A TSA-120 would be just fine, a new one I can unbox myself!

*sigh* I could, just about, afford it, but that would scupper plans for some serious, and much needed, home improvements.

So I will merely have to dream.

On 04/09/2022 at 13:08, Nigella Bryant said:

Who's to say a Planewave CDK20 or CDK24 F6.8 Optical Tube Assembly isn't just out of reach, lol 😉

Totally, it's what equity release was made for. :) 

Jim 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

👍  I just had a new roof, siding, and gutters put on.  I should have requested a wee bit more to cover a Tak.

Can you just imagine that conversation with the bank :) 

Jim 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, markse68 said:

a 1.25” eyepiece that fits Pleiades in fov with room to spare in my 6” f5 and gives perfect flat field whilst correcting the coma. Too much to wish for? 🤔 oh should weigh < 200g also 🤣

This might be of interest (40mm one):

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

Don't know whether you'd get coma or not - my 30mil doesn't give any.

Edited by cajen2

5 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

This might be of interest (40mm one):

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

Don't know whether you'd get coma or not - my 30mil doesn't give any.

Thanks for the suggestion Cajen, I do have a 40mm tv plossl and it’s given about the best view so far. a 65deg wf  19mm is nicer darker background but not as wide obvs. I need to get tested for astigmatism as i’ve never found widefield eps easy or pleasant to use in a newt. Even the f8 dob. Probably exit pupil size or something. Maybe it’s just asking too much and should settle for bins on pleiades- stick to double stars and planets etc with the scopes.

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

Thanks for the suggestion Cajen, I do have a 40mm tv plossl and it’s given about the best view so far. a 65deg wf  19mm is nicer darker background but not as wide obvs. I need to get tested for astigmatism as i’ve never found widefield eps easy or pleasant to use in a newt. Even the f8 dob. Probably exit pupil size or something. Maybe it’s just asking too much and should settle for bins on pleiades- stick to double stars and planets etc with the scopes.

Is a 2" EP out if the question? If not, a StellaLyra 80° UWA/LER 20mm gives me a great FOV with sharp, flat stars right to the edge of field.

5 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Is a 2" EP out if the question? If not, a StellaLyra 80° UWA/LER 20mm gives me a great FOV with sharp, flat stars right to the edge of field.

Unfortunately yes- i’d like to keep the scope original (it’s old and fairly hard to find) so stuck with 1.25”. Been contemplating an HD-60 25mm as heard good things about them though the coma will still be there and i should get my eyes tested first!

Mark