Banner.jpg.b6007b69ccdf5c69bf18273ddfe023df.jpg

SGL 2022 Challenge 6 - Holiday Astro

For many SGL members it is holiday season.  Hopefully those of you in the southern hemisphere can manage a couple of days away over the next 3 months.  This challenge has some rather unusual stipulations.  You must be spending some time away from home on holiday.  This means at least one night.  The holiday must not be primarily for astro activity, so no pics from Namibian desert or any other location specifically set up for astro photography.  The mount must be limited to something you can easily pack into a suitcase, so lightweight trackers are permissible.

Widefield, deep sky, solar system all ok but we are particularly interested in images which convey a holiday "vibe" whilst still having an astronomical component.

Start date 1st June 2022

End date 31st August 2022

As previously the winner and runners up will receive an SGL challenge mug showing their image along with a virtual medal-of-honour for their SGL signature.

Please post entries directly into this thread

To keep the thread manageable for the judges please do not post comments about entries, emoji reactions are welcome of course.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please make a fresh post within the thread.
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

• Like 3

• MartinB pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a bit of fun.  We had a nice few days last week at a hotel on the North Devon coast, Mrs Tomato pushed for a hotel break so I wouldn't try and  lug an imaging rig with me like I usually do when we go to a coastal location. So instead I went super minimal, my ancient Pentax K100D DSLR, (CCD sensor, no less), 50 mm lens, dodgy webcam tripod and a intervalometer. 

Pentax.thumb.jpeg.80dca25fb6afb6702da683b73db961eb.jpeg

I perched it on a wall of the terrace in front of the hotel, and took some 10 sec snaps even though the moon was up, a stiff breeze was blowing and plenty of wispy high cloud was evident. Part way through an enthusiastic and slightly inebriated fellow guest came along and asked me what I was doing and promptly picked up the camera! I guess he wouldn't have done that if I had the full rig set up, but he was only showing an interest. My AA batteries gave up after 30 attempts at holding the shutter open, so I packed up and went to bed.

This is the best of the bunch, 7 x 10 secs of the Cygnus region. I plate solved the image using Astrometry.net but I don't believe any of the 'nebulosity' is genuine, it's more likely an artefact of processing the high cloud.😉

Image03.thumb.jpg.096fbd0a2b84558dd0a64222423f83e6.jpg 

Annotated

6561291.jpg.7eba78bb1778bfbd1265ee12ed92c3c1.jpg

• Like 6

I just posted this in the "Imaging - Widefield" thread and @Clarkeytold me I should enter it into the holiday competition so here it is :)

For the long bank holiday Jubilee weekend my family and I went on a short trip to the beautiful Welsh countryside, 10 minutes drive from Devil's Bridge, Pontarfynach.

We've been there before last year but I wasn't lucky to have a clear night to enjoy the beautiful bortle 2 skies.

This year the weather was on my side and the first night I had the opportunity to do something that I've been dreaming of for a long time, to shoot the Scorpius and RHO Ophiuchi region under no light pollution.

I didn't have to go far to do it, this field is next to the cottage we were staying at and luckily, this year the sheep have been moved to a different field so I didn't have to worry about them knocking over my tripod

The foreground is simple but I like it and I don't think it needs more than it already has.

And now the geeky stuff.

To take this photo I used my astromodified Canon 6d with the Sigma 50mm f1.4 art lens on a iOptron Skyguider Pro and Benro CF tripod.

For the sky I shot 49x60sec ISO1600 exposures at f2.8

And for the forground I only took one 30sec ISO3200 shot at f2.8 when it wasn't very dark outside.

I hope you like it as much as I do because I'm abolutely in love with it.

Emil

WebExport_2048px_RHO---Scorpius1-(watermark).png.thumb.png.2a247510f691872d7395c2ff4ed714e4.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, doublevodka said:

image.png.759443c5e93ac8a47c7196f61c1a02be.png

Feel free to remove the post as I don't want to clutter the challenge, but just FYI the banner image on the front page has a typo

Thank you.  Yes I know but I am away on a long tour of Scandinavia and it really is too much hassle to change it!

• Like 1

A second photo from my trip to Wales.

Unfortunately this is a composite as the weather didn't allow me to do it the way I wanted.

"The Swan River" - Hafod Estate

Last year when we visited this place I thought that it would be amazing to shoot the night sky with such a beautiful foreground but unfortunately I didn't get the chance to go there at night.

This year, we went back and the night when we arrived in Wales was a very clear night. Beeing tired from the long day at work and the 5 hour drive to Wales, I set up my equipment close to the cottage we were staying at and I shot the night sky until the clouds started to roll in.

The forecast looked promising for the following day and I really hoped to achieve my goals but unfortunately the Welsh weather is so unpredictable, the forecast was wrong and there was no point of going there at night if the sky is fully covered by clouds reason why this photo is a composite.

EXIF:

Canon 6Da, Sigma 50mm f1.4 art lens, Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 lens and iOptron skyguider pro

Sky: Sigma 50mm 17x30sec tracked images ISO1600 @ f2.8

Foreground: Tamron 15-30mm 1 x 1/60sec ISO100 @ 30mm f11

I hope you like it!

Emil

WebExport_2048px_Cygnus-Hafod-2-Recovered-copy-22.png.thumb.png.f70a7ff1058ed58e30dfa5ef2fa8101c.png

• Like 6