Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Turning off the lights

Debo

22 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Anything legal that raises the profile of the light pollution

Is it legal though - interfering with other people's property?  Personally I agree - it's a great thing for them to be doing however I would not be confident, in the UK at least, this is completely within the law.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannybgoode said:

Is it legal though - interfering with other people's property?  Personally I agree - it's a great thing for them to be doing however I would not be confident, in the UK at least, this is completely within the law.

..then if it's not, the law should be changed, now!

It's insane that companies and city/town councils are allowed to leave bright, unnecessary lights on in our town and city centres.

Immediately after COP in Glasgow our government could have introduced legislation to clamp down seriously on light pollution, and at a time when families will see their electricity bills double from last November to this summer, there would be little if any opposition and it could be a springboard for many other environmental initiatives..mass planting of trees, for example!

I don't say this often, but this time the French are really showing us the way, and what being serious about our planets' future looks like!👍👏

Great video, Debo, thanks for sharing!

Dave

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

..then if it's not, the law should be changed, now!

It's insane that companies and city/town councils are allowed to leave bright, unnecessary lights on in our town and city centres.

Immediately after COP in Glasgow our government could have introduced legislation to clamp down seriously on light pollution, and at a time when families will see their electricity bills double from last November to this summer, there would be little if any opposition and it could be a springboard for many other environmental initiatives..mass planting of trees, for example!

I don't say this often, but this time the French are really showing us the way, and what being serious about our planets' future looks like!👍👏

Great video, Debo, thanks for sharing!

Dave

I agree entirely.  I just wouldn't want anyone getting into trouble trying it here without knowing whether it is an offence or not :) 

I think home security lights should be banned also.  They often actually aid a thief rather than hinder them.  And as for 'decorative' garden lighting etc - yep that can all go as well...

Edited by dannybgoode
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

I think home security lights should be banned also.  They often actually aid a thief rather than hinder them.  And as for 'decorative' garden lighting etc - yep that can all go as well...

I would be all for this although I think a ban is very unlikely but there could surely be some legislation to the wattage allowed (or better still a luminance value), height at which they are installed and that they should not be on all hours of darkness.
I know it will not happen as it would be an administrative nightmare but it would be great to have to apply for permission to install outside lighting, whether for business or domestic, and then neighbours informed before permission is granted, similar to adding extensions and so on.
That way at least anyone can object and a compromise made before hand rather than having somebodies hobby ruined overnight by a neighbour putting up enough illumination to play a football match in their garden.

Otherwise it is just up to the individual to complain to the neighbour and try to get them to at least turn them off on certain clear nights, and that just relies on an understanding neighbour which everybody is not these days.
If this was all agreed beforehand with the local authorities enforcing the agreement then they would have to adhere to it or risk being told to remove the lighting altogether.

Steve

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

I agree entirely.  I just wouldn't want anyone getting into trouble trying it here without knowing whether it is an offence or not :) 

I’m going out on a limb here but I’d hazard a guess that few if any of SGL membership are sufficiently skilled in the ways of Parkour to be of any concern to the law 😊

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, saac said:

I’m going out on a limb here but I’d hazard a guess that few if any of SGL membership are sufficiently skilled in the ways of Parkour to be of any concern to the law 😊

Certainly not myself, I struggle blowing out the candles on my birthday cake now 🙂 

I am sure nobody on this thread is seriously thinking of doing anything along these lines in any shape or form.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't have a light pollution problem really around me, the odd street lamp but that's about it. Yes LED type lights from town do lighten the sky to the south east but that's 4 miles or more away. What annoys me it the lighting left on all night high on the hill way across the other side of the river, it's over 3 miles so not an issue of LP,  it lights the old town area that absolutely no one goes to other than during the day and even then we are talking very few, I can't imagine why anyone would be up there at 10 at night, it's just a waste of electricity.

Alan

On 02/01/2022 at 16:13, saac said:

Hey, I was on my roof last year fixing a couple of broken tiles, but it wasn’t exactly Parkour. Access took about an hour and a half, replacing the tiles about 2 mins. I did enjoy a lovely view of the Wrekin while I was up there.

• Haha 2

On 02/01/2022 at 16:48, RobertI said:

Any pointless external light with a switch on it is just asking to be switched off!! 😆

I'm almost certain those French guys were hitting the Fireman's switch, given the height they have to jump.  Probably illegal to do in most countries, unless it's an emergency?🤔

4 hours ago, tomato said:

Hey, I was on my roof last year fixing a couple of broken tiles, but it wasn’t exactly Parkour. Access took about an hour and a half, replacing the tiles about 2 mins. I did enjoy a lovely view of the Wrekin while I was up there.

Lol I've been known myself to wield the roof ladder in anger  - of late though I have shied away from the backflip dismount to the coal shed bunker followed by a forward roll onto the lawn :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1