Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

JWST Countdown To Terror šŸ˜³

kirkster501

FromĀ https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/

Tensioning Begins for Two Layers of Webbā€™s Sunshield

With three layers of Webbā€™s sunshield fully deployed, the team commenced tensioning ā€“ that is, pulling each layer fully taut ā€“ of the final two layers this morning.

We will have live coverage of the fifth layer tensioning atĀ https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive beginning at about 9:30 am EST.

Edited by Laurieast
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I ever anticipated being quite so engaged by the stretching of five pieces of plastic.
And we still have the primary mirror alignment to come, which was described during the live feed just now - it sounds a bit more involved than a cheshire and three screws.

Question for someone please - how far into the commissioning phase will we know that the optics are sound? i.e. when is the comparable moment to the one where we found out that the Hubble mirror was misfigured?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

I don't think I ever anticipated being quite so engaged by the stretching of five pieces of plastic.
And we still have the primary mirror alignment to come, which was described during the live feed just now - it sounds a bit more involved than a cheshire and three screws.

Question for someone please - how far into the commissioning phase will we know that the optics are sound? i.e. when is the comparable moment to the one where we found out that the Hubble mirror was misfigured?

i think they said that the next 5 or 6 months was for calibration and cooling

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

(I suppose!) ONE critical thing is the (relatively easy?) deployment of theĀ 
secondary mirror? Idem the outer segments of the *primary* mirror?
I suppose it might give *some* service without these latter, but?!?
We ALL hope these "deployments"Ā  will be a success! šŸ™‚

My heartĀ šŸ’“(!) really goes out to the folks who worked on this thing! šŸ™‚
(Not sure I could have coped with being a "space probe" developer...)

Edited by Macavity

10 hours ago, Zermelo said:

They learnt from Hubble and this time the individual mirror segments will not only be adjusted for collimation but can be deformed to adjust focal length. I guess they needed to be able to compensate unknowns what with extremes of temperature and all the vibration from the flight and the mirrors being light weight beryllium.Ā 

• Thanks 1

I don't believe any of this nonsense about tensioning 5 fly sheets.
It is hard enough to erect a tent on a sandy camping site.
Are we supposed to believe they tensioned that lot using sky pegs? :huh2:

Ā 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, IB20 said:

Dunno why but Iā€™m extremely nervous for the secondary mirror deployment.Ā šŸ˜¬

Me too. This is mission critical - nuclear level. Even if the sunshield didnā€™t work, there was still a mission of sorts. No secondary and, as well all know, JWST is a piece of space junk. It is broadcast on NASA live later.