Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW StellaMira Telescopes!

FLO

10 minutes ago, Craney said:

Would these equate to the old   SW Equinox 66    and   SW Equinox 80   ??   

Yes. Also the William Optics 66SD doublet. Probably others too 🙂 

Essentially these StellaMira models have same optics but better focusers. 

...  or were they triplets ??

No, they were doublets. 

I think there may be a typo on the 80mm Webpage as it says the FL= 400mm and I think it should be 500mm.

Oops! 😊

Comes from rushing to make product pages before we close for the weekend. 

The typo has been corrected. Please say if you notice another. 

Steve

• Thanks 1

Lovely scope, tempted to ‘trade in’ my William Optics 66SD so I can enjoy that lovely 2” R&P focuser. 

On a separate note, I’ve never been sure why the WO 66SD is indicated as F5.9 and all other 66mm scopes are F6? I’ve no doubt it’s the same lens, but odd. 

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

Lovely scope, tempted to ‘trade in’ my William Optics 66SD so I can enjoy that lovely 2” R&P focuser. 

On a separate note, I’ve never been sure why the WO 66SD is indicated as F5.9 and all other 66mm scopes are F6? I’ve no doubt it’s the same lens, but odd. 

WO usually tries to differentiate their scopes by giving a slightly different aperture or focal length. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2021 at 17:42, Radman40 said:

Very nice. Any plans for 100mm? I will be in the market for one of those before too long. 

More models are planned for StellaLyra and StellaMira but currently we are unable to share details. 

Generally speaking, for StellaMira (ED refractors) we are aiming for a mix of affordable 'tried & trusted' models together with some that are more expensive / high-end. The 66ED & 80ED telescopes discussed here with proven ED doublet optics are from the tried & trusted camp. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FLO said:

More models are planned for StellaLyra and StellaMira but currently we are unable to share details. 

I feel like i should hold off on the 90mm F6 and wait and see if there are more models coming out. maybe a 100 mm F5.5 doublet? 😮

Edited by rsarwar

• 6 months later...
17 minutes ago, 900SL said:

110mm f6 doublet FPL51.. how is the CA for imaging? 

It's early days for the StellaLyra badged 110ED f/6, however it's also badged as the Orion EON so worth checking out the reviews for that one to give you some idea :)  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Depends what you expect.

I would say that this scope is much more refined version of wide field scope like ST102 (or ST120).

A bit more of aperture (a bit less than 120).

Much better (but not perfect, even for visual) color correction

A bit slower and therefore easier on eyepieces, but still wide field scope

Much better focuser.

If you had the idea to use ST102 for imaging or EEVA - then this will be better option. Far from color free, but that is not the point - point is - it is affordable wide field 4 - 4.5 inch refractor with good mechanics and decent optics.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2022 at 21:10, 900SL said:

On 17/06/2022 at 21:55, vlaiv said:

Depends what you expect.

I would say that this scope is much more refined version of wide field scope like ST102 (or ST120).

A bit more of aperture (a bit less than 120).

Much better (but not perfect, even for visual) color correction

A bit slower and therefore easier on eyepieces, but still wide field scope

Much better focuser.

If you had the idea to use ST102 for imaging or EEVA - then this will be better option. Far from color free, but that is not the point - point is - it is affordable wide field 4 - 4.5 inch refractor with good mechanics and decent optics.

@vlaiv is right 🙂

The StellaMira 110mm ED is a relatively fast ED doublet so will, of course, have some CA. This is normal for any refractor with a similar design, specification and price

For visual astronomy the views will be wonderful with only minor CA. 

For broadband imaging (DSLR, OSC or Mono with LRGB filters) the CA is much - much - better than a regular achromat but not as well corrected as, say, the more expensive StellaMira 90ED

For narrowband imaging (Mono camera with narrowband filters or a dual-band filter) the results will be very nice indeed. 

Our StellaMira ED doublets are not breaking new ground. Instead we have chosen tried-&-trusted established designs. I.e. experienced astronomers will know the 66m / f6 and 80mm / f6.25 were both previously manufactured for Sky-Watcher and sold as Sky-Watcher Equinox ED. For StellaMira, we simply commissioned the same designs but with better, more robust, R&P focusers. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2