NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Your next binocular purchase?

The old Celestron Skymaster 15X70. A very fine set of bins.

Well it would be nice if they were as the price is soooooooooo attractive but over at CN forums they think the celestrons are c-2r-2a-2p Collimation out from new and poor contrast. I have read that a decent pair of 10 or 12 by 60's will out perform them!! Shame if it's true as they are on offer at the very decent price of £49 I see.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it would be nice if they were as the price is soooooooooo attractive but over at CN forums they think the celestrons are c-2r-2a-2p Collimation out from new and poor contrast. I have read that a decent pair of 10 or 12 by 60's will out perform them!! Shame if it's true as they are on offer at the very decent price of £49 I see.

I would take what the CN people say with a big pinch of salt. Sure, if you compare them with something 2 or 3 times the prices they will (and should) be found wanting but if you compare them to not having binoculars they will be fantastic. You will need a tripod to get the best from them. £49 is a great price given what you will be able to see through them:)

I would take what the CN people say with a big pinch of salt

Why?

Is it because somebody who happen to post over there should be not taken for granted?

On the binocular forum there , there are people who measure binoculars and don't just write subjective reviews about them.

I know a story of one that was bad and the amateur give it away. It was not a CN-er.

Now you read reviews of 'bad' Celestrons ,you also read story of 'good' Celestrons. I conclude that the quality is very inconsistent and expect that one could wind up with a bad specimen. That's not fun even if you did not pay much. It's a bit of a toss up. However some specimens seem rather descent, fortunately. For the buyer it's interesting to know on beforehand what could be expected,so you can decide for yourself what you should do or not...especially when you have to order abroad for an optic you can't evaluate or even hold in in your hand...

Just wondering what would be your next purchase? If at all.

I'm afraid I've had the binocular bug for a couple of year's now. My latest addition should see me right for some time to come :eek: You just never know though :)

I've found all my binoculars excellent this past couple of summer's.... just nip out between the cloud.

Glen.

Well, my next is to buy a sport binocular. I want to buy a binocular that easy to hold and easy to use aspect of the travel binoculars makes it an excellent value for the general and outdoor use. And i found some binoculars from uxsight. I intend to order one.

• 4 months later...

I've 10x50 (Helios) and 15x70 (Celestron). They both get used loads (when it's not cloudy). I will probably get a pair of 20x100 instead of a grab n go scope for when I stay places with dark skies but can't take the scope.

I have 10x50 and 15x70 bins, both get used but the 15x70's get used a lot more. I'm fully satisfied on the binocular front, no urge at all to buy anymore. The same can't be said about the telescopes though. :)

Just to add my vote for the Canon 15 x 50is. Bought a pair a little while ago - about £650 I think and they have been great. Ideal for when it's not worth putting the 'scope out if it looks cloudy

Well i have just taken delivery of a pair of Revelation 20x80's from Telescope house (10% discount!). First impressions are that they are HUGE, and seem really well put together and sturdy. I've only ever owned 10x50's before. Will be taking them with me to astroadventures for a week from Saturday so hope to be able to give a first light report soon

Stephen

Just to add my vote for the Canon 15 x 50is. Bought a pair a little while ago - about £650 I think and they have been great. Ideal for when it's not worth putting the 'scope out if it looks cloudy

Blimey, £650 for a pair of 15x50 binos :) I know i'm not seeing the bigger picture but that's the price of a Flextube 300P! I can only imagine those iS bins are the business.

Blimey, £650 for a pair of 15x50 binos :D I know i'm not seeing the bigger picture but that's the price of a Flextube 300P! I can only imagine those iS bins are the business.

yup, until you want to move up to a pari for leica's or swarowski's a twice the price. :headbang:. funny thing is, having looked through (but not bought...) a pair of leica's i would say it's just about worth it ... :)

re bino collimation ; this is my video on youtube which might help fix your prismatic bino,s

the video quality is not great but it will show you how to adjust your prisms , i would add that the first thing i would do is unscrew the objective tube from the body and have a look at the prism and spring to see if it is loose or the are signs that the prism sealer/putty is not cracked if it is it is probably that side that is in need of adjusment and leave the other side alone .as you can adjust one side at a time , see the link above i hope it helps , let us know how you get on, PS make sure you keep any dust away from them when they are apart , and reseal prisms with nail varnish or epoxy putty , :)

Another thumbs up for the Celestron 15x70's. I must have a good pair as they are very well collimated and offer very bright views. My 10x50 are Olivon QB's and they are extremely sharp across a good 85% of the FOV and offer very nice contrast.....overall a better viewing experience to the Celestrons but both are worth their price. However, my BM45's are something else.....love em.

• 1 month later...

Hi, new here but I'm an avid binocular observer

I'm thinking on a Kowa 32x82Fl, for portability to star parties and different places in general out of my home, but I started saving first for a Starchair3000 so it is going to be a long while for that to happen ;)

Greetings from Colombia,

Andrés P

Thought about some 25x100s but in the end decided to spend the money on a higher quality but smaller pair of Helios Apollo High Resolution 15x70s. Only had them out twice since they arrived (clouds !!!) but have been very impressed. I think I'd have to spend a lot more to get a better pair. They're just light enough to use hand held for 10 or 15 minutes for a quick look around and then onto a decent monopod.

John

Not so much a purchase but, I find myself in the position of owning two identical TAL-1 Newts. Last night I thought about using the optics to build a bino-scope.......

Just a thought, but sometimes these thoughts just develop and before you know it........

Hi, new here but I'm an avid binocular observer

I'm thinking on a Kowa 32x82Fl, for portability to star parties and different places in general out of my home, but I started saving first for a Starchair3000 so it is going to be a long while for that to happen ;)

Greetings from Colombia,

Andrés P

Honestly Andres...your such a Cheapskate...a pair of Highlander FLs

for Star Parties,can you not afford something more expensive :eek:

Brian

• 1 month later...

Already have the binocs I actually need (see sig), plus a few others, so anything else would be sheer luxury. Things I covet (but have so far resisted) include:

• Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50. Superb optics, would replace my current Opticrons.
  • Takahashi 20x60 Astronomer -- no longer made -- wish I'd got one when I had the opportunity (and keep missing them when they do come up 2nd hand).
  • Fujinon EM-SX 25x150. Can't afford it, but this would be an upgrade I'd love to have before I get too decrepit to appreciate it. Would need to build a permanent observatory and get a Starchair as well.

I have a pair of Opticron roof prism 7x36s which are really superb for the use I got them for - mainly a little birding and more for insect watching; I can literally focus them on my shins looking down so they are really nice. They are pretty good as a small finder unit but really the small aperture does not help greatly.

I bought some of the Pentax 10x50s and they are a really superb pair of bins for the money, bright and sharp etc and performed very well on a recent holiday.

BUT I felt that I needed a larger pair and which would be my main traveling / family holiday observation tool so I sold the 10s. I could not on this basis go to large and 15x70s fit the bill. I was a bit concerned at some of the comments on the Celestrons which are great value for money but I am quite fussy with optics. Therefore I have jumped on johninderby's 15x70s and will be getting them in a week or two. I'm hopeful that on a monopod and with a seu up a bit like this http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/110130-manfrotto-682b-monopod-triton-ballhead-action-grip.html (in fact it is these actual bins I am buying), I'll have the ideal traveling/grab and go kit for my circumstances. Before asking to buy the 15x70s, I'd even considered a wide field refractor but feel I'll get more use and enjoyment ultimately from these bins when combined with my dobs.

We'll soon see!

Archived