Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Your next binocular purchase?

My interests in Astronomy have previously only amassed to picking up the occasional news article or catching a documentary here and there on the documentary channels on Sky.

I've recently decided to step this up a notch, and before jumping right in at the deep end with a scope I'm thinking of getting the Celestron Skymaster 15x70 as they are spoken of quite highly, would love to hear comments from anyone who has them :)

So, that'll be my "next purchase" (and first )

J

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks kniclander :)

Yes from what I've gathered, those size binos are pretty much on the "boundary" of handheld-ness (if thats a word)

A tripod/stand would most likely be a wise choice, but so far I havent been able to find one at a reasonable budget, I mean, for a newbie I can't justify spending £50+ on one, at least not yet anyways

Regards

:) Hi and welcome to SGL, Jayla.

For my 11x70s, i used a broomstick with a crosspiece nailed to the top (like a T). A folded hand towel was placed on the crosspiece as a cushion, and the binos were secured with long strips of Velcro.

It doesn't have to look good, it just has to work, right? :D

Sound advice from Talitha, you dont need to spend money just grab a chair and prop them in front with anything thats the right height to see through them,

if you get the bug you will spend the money then.

regards ron.s.g.

if you have a tripod from a camera/camcorder, you can buy adapters to fit the bins

so i finally got the thumb out and purchased myself a pair of nikon action extreme 10x50. i work every day until tuesday so no chance of getting from the post office just yet. :cool:

None on the horizon. If you want one pair only go for 15x70, good size, good for astro, easy to hold and do a good job in the daytime. If you want excellent day-only bins, go for the Canon 12x36IS, compact and amazing resolving power. Don't even try a pair, if you do you'll know how good they are... one hand operation entirely possible! If you want night only then you might as well go large and get some 25x100, mounting is a swine though, but you'll pull a lot of stuff in with a nice wide field. With that lot, who needs any more bins!

Cheers

PEterW

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Apollo 22x85 ....

I have the 15x70 version also from Teleskope Service since Juin. Excellent bino's.

I probably will order it from FLO thistime...very interesting prices...

These are the Kunming optical BA8 series. Very good bino's ,...but heavy...

I,m after something a bit larger myself,im "really" enjoying using

bino,s at the mo,they are great fun :D

Now there is just one problem as to get a larger pair that offer

true apochromatic performance like those i currently use...22x60 i would have to buy a pair of these....prominar model :headbang:

Binoculars UK- Kowa Highlander Binoculars

So theres no chance of that.

Brian

It's been over a month since I bought a binocular :headbang:

So, I've been looking around.

Kunming optical who manufacture a broad range of astro equipment including the BA8 series binoculars are some of my favourites. These are 'badged' Helios Apollo,Garrett Signature Series,Oberwerk Ultra and probably many others.

I have the 15x70 Signature Series(Helios Apollo). I noticed that they manufacture a 10x50 in the same series. Mmmmm,6° FOV against my 5° Pentax. I'm just wondering if all of the 6° is useable?

Well,just thinking at the moment.

Ah Glen,

Just ordered the Apollo 22x85(so no more thinking) from FLO. Prices are very favorable in Britain. Hope they arrive soon.

Yes those Kunming BA8 series are real stunning bino's.

Allready own the 15x70 specimen wich i bought from Teleskope Service some months ago

As for a cheap monopod, simply turn a broom or extendable mop/wiper upside down - no need to make a cross piece. The squeegee or bristles will then act as a soft support - just ensure that they haven't got bits of fluff or other detritus from their primary role.

Obviously, one with an extendable height is preferred.

Mark

Recently bought some refurbished 20x80 Revelations from Telescope House, sadly as I discovered not the ones with integral centre bar tripod adapter, £50!

Quick views of Jupiter amid the clouds yielded a reasonable disc with moons, either not good enough to see bands or the seeing was too choppy. Since then rain mostly apart from a glimpse of Int Space Station (a glowing ball - again probably the seeing).

The bins are big and heavy though, taxing my tripod because the L-tripod adaptor puts a big strain on the plate. Hoping to see some DSOs on a clear night.

Have just bought a Strathspey 10x50 waterproof to replace my cheap Chinese Centon 10x50s which went cross-eyed when I dropped them.

John at Strathspey binoculars is very friendly and helpful - they feel comfortable immediately and seem excellent so far on a misty day.

I am not up for buying any binos anytime soon. Reason ? I've been lucky / unlucky ( you chose ) to have used three upmarket pairs in the recent past. 8x Nikon High Grade. Lightish, very comfortable in the hand, wonderful wide clear views and flat (ish) tight stars almost out to the edge.

10x70 Fujinons. Views flatter than the bottom of a cast iron frying pan. And bright ? They should carry a health warning not to look at Sirius without a solar filter. I also like the weight which helps them stay nice and steady in the hand, unlike my own 10x50s or 7x50s come to that. Crisp all the way out to the edge.

And then....... 22x60 Takahshi. Mounted on a tripod and ( I hate this word, but they are ) Gobsmacking. I spent a few hours with them and Brian ( SolarB ) at Kielder this Autumn. I can't really describe just how good they are. If you get a chance to try them, do.

So you see, I'm knackered after using some of the best. What to buy ?

Dave.

Oh yes, I had a quick view through Jamie's new binos. The goto was playing up so didn't get a lot of time on them. Next time ? Jamie ?

I.

And then....... 22x60 Takahshi. Mounted on a tripod and ( I hate this word, but they are ) Gobsmacking. I spent a few hours with them and Brian ( SolarB ) at Kielder this Autumn. I can't really describe just how good they are. If you get a chance to try them, do.

Dave.

Taks 22x60, wow, smashing bino's according Edz(CN) findings

What to buy...well you could go for a big BA8 series 20x110 or 22/15x85 wich would be good but be still at the lower end of your splendid collection.

Hi fmeireso,

Now don't go giving me any more ideas.

Those Taks are basically two FS 60s nailed together and then given a fancy paint job.

I wish they were part of my collection.

Some good ideas there mate.

Dave

I am not up for buying any binos anytime soon. Reason ? I've been lucky / unlucky ( you chose ) to have used three upmarket pairs in the recent past. 8x Nikon High Grade. Lightish, very comfortable in the hand, wonderful wide clear views and flat (ish) tight stars almost out to the edge.

10x70 Fujinons. Views flatter than the bottom of a cast iron frying pan. And bright ? They should carry a health warning not to look at Sirius without a solar filter. I also like the weight which helps them stay nice and steady in the hand, unlike my own 10x50s or 7x50s come to that. Crisp all the way out to the edge.

Dave.

Oh yes, I had a quick view through Jamie's new binos. The goto was playing up so didn't get a lot of time on them. Next time ? Jamie ?

Hi Dave.

I now have the goto tried and tested mate, all is working as it should be...

The next time we cross paths you are more than welcome to give my bins a proper run for their money...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think i have hit MY apex of binocular astronomy with my 20X90 bins and Horizon 8115 tripod. About the only thing i would like for them now is a set of moon filters (damn the moon can burn holes through the back of your head with these bins when at FULL). I am gonna have to construct a couple of lunar filters for them which will only involve a couple of rings of card that stop the apeture down to about 60-70mm.

Just wondering what would be your next purchase? If at all.

I'm afraid I've had the binocular bug for a couple of year's now. My latest addition should see me right for some time to come :) You just never know though :hello2:

I've found all my binoculars excellent this past couple of summer's.... just nip out between the cloud.

Glen.

Exactly so, I haven't had more than a couple of decent nights this year. The binoculars have been my main instrument and I am in the middle of deliberations regarding a pair of 15x70's (upgrade from Nikon action EX 12x50's) myself.

Archived