SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

39 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Yes I have a 2Kg counter weight. 

Adam 

If you already have the scope, and you think the tripod is up to it, it can't hurt to have a go. Would recommend only using it in AZ mode, with CW, and try to balance everything as well as possible. AZ bearing should probably handle the scope + CW fine if balanced reasonably well. Alt could be a problem though, If it looks (or sounds) like it's straining too much it might not be a goer. Wind/vibration etc might be excessive on a scope that long. 

@SuburbanMak might be able to shed light on his experience with an F16, 4 foot classic Clarkson brass tube frac on an AZ-GTi 🙂

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Elp said:

As @badhex has said the length may be an issue. Using my 130pds causes the setup to vibrate a little more than desired especially if there's a light breeze though I haven't tried it with my uni tripod yet. My Z61 imaging setup is 3.2kg + 2kg counterweight/bar.

Can you image with the 130pds on the az-gti?

I'm just planning out potential upgrade routes and was thinking about getting a 130pds down the line.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I'm just planning out potential upgrade routes and was thinking about getting a 130pds down the line.

Maybe to much vibration for deep sky imaging but maybe OK for planetary and lunar imaging, just a thought. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adam J said:

Just wondering if people have opinions on if this bresser AR102L will work with the AZ GTI?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-ar-102l-1000-refractor-ota.html

I think its quite close to the stated weight limit. I am using a much more stable tripod than the one what is normally shipped with the mount if that makes a difference. 

Adam

As @badhexsaid no harm in trying but as stated maybe a bit heavy and long for the az gti. But hey we are all pushing the boundaries of this great little mount here 👍

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Maybe to much vibration for deep sky imaging but maybe OK for planetary and lunar imaging, just a thought. 

Should have said this is purely for visual I already have a much smaller imaging setup on the mount. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Haven't tried it properly yet, need to sort out my backfocus spacing and then can use my 224mc for framing close up on galaxies and small targets. Will report back.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, OK Apricot said:

GUYS GUYS GUYS!!

I'll tell you where the problem was: North level alignment

I tried and tried tonight painstakingly making sure things were level, level and even more level, pointed north, balanced etc. It just wasn't having it. I'm sure I'd read earlier in this thread that this was the way to go so that's why I stuck with it. 

Then tried a 3 star alignment. Perfection 🙌. Any star any area in the sky was plumb in the centre of my eyepiece. I left Arcturus in the fov for half an hour while I went to warm up, and it was right where I left it when I returned. I'm chuffed to bits and the faith has definitely been restored 😁

Sorry for being a complete dimwit and I appreciate you guys sticking through helping me out!

Can't wait to make the most of the clear nights forecast ahead 🌖🌗🌠

Great stuff. Very strange north level was causing the problems but at least it's sorted . 👍

and Adam, that scope will push the mount to its limits. I wouldn't use that combo but it is up to you...  Best combinations are the likes of refractors up to 80mm at f7, 102mm refractors at f5. Maksutovs to 127mm.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

Should have said this is purely for visual I already have a much smaller imaging setup on the mount. 

This was in reply to @Ratletquestion on imaging with the 130pds. Though as your just going to be doing visual with the bresser 102 give it a go. It could work well😊

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

I have a 130m  on my gti and it's fine with that. The 130pds is shorter so should be OK. 

Edited by Ed the Fox
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Adam J said:

Just wondering if people have opinions on if this bresser AR102L will work with the AZ GTI?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-ar-102l-1000-refractor-ota.html

I think its quite close to the stated weight limit. I am using a much more stable tripod than the one what is normally shipped with the mount if that makes a difference. 

Adam

Don't bother Adam. I tried putting a similar OTA on mine and even with extension pier it hit the tripod.

However that was in EQ mode, in AZ mode it could manage it but I think the problem you might encounter is vibration will be heavily exaggerated because of length. 

TBF I think the AZ is really only suited to short length OTA such as maks, small newts (IE 100mm) and short tube fracs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Don't bother Adam. I tried putting a similar OTA on mine and even with extension pier it hit the tripod.

However that was in EQ mode, in AZ mode it could manage it but I think the problem you might encounter is vibration will be heavily exaggerated because of length. 

TBF I think the AZ is really only suited to short length OTA such as maks, small newts (IE 100mm) and short tube fracs.

ok thats probably going to push me down the Skymax 102 direction then. I keep it n the garage so hope the cool down wont be excessive as its for use with a 4/5yo and they have no patience. 

I own a AZ EQ6 GT also but thats not grab and go no matter what you put on it. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Adam J said:

ok thats probably going to push me down the Skymax 102 direction then. I keep it n the garage so hope the cool down wont be excessive as its for use with a 4/5yo and they have no patience. 

Adam

Love the Skymax 102! Never got to use mine on the AZ-GTi but it will be a great match.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, badhex said:

@SuburbanMak might be able to shed light on his experience with an F16, 4 foot classic Clarkson brass tube frac on an AZ-GTi 🙂

I use the AZGTi in Alt Az mode on two longer scopes, the old brass Clarkson and a Towa 339 f15 &, provided its not too windy, the mount handles both reasonably well. There is some vibration on focussing and using tracking / GoTo is less frustrating than in manual mode where you do end up waiting for the vibe to die down after each nudge.     I have mine on a Berlebach 312 Report and use an SW extension pier.  I have to be diligent about finding the balance point on the longer scopes but its a usable combination. Worth noting that I have the upgraded ADM clamp on my AZGTi, not sure these longer OTAs would be feasible without its increased stability. 

As an aside there's something very deeply satisfying about slewing a 120 year old brass tube around the sky on a computerised mount in a steam-punk kind of way :) 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 1

Adam

if you can push the budget to the 127, go for it. I have had both the 102 & the 127 and their is a notable difference in the two.

• Like 3

Adam

The Skymax 102 and 127 work really well on the AZGTI, however the 127 will present a brighter image and resolve more Lunar detail etc. Like Bomberbaz I've owned both. They're easy finds used. Cool down isn't much of an issue.

• Like 2

Adam

Several helium balloons 😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ratlet said:

I think once you add a camera / some method of guiding / maybe a coma corrector to the 4kg tube you'll be  pushing things a bit ? One gust of wind and you'll be struggling.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The Skymax 102 and 127 work really well on the AZGTI, however the 127 will present a brighter image and resolve more Lunar detail etc. Like Bomberbaz I've owned both. They're easy finds used. Cool down isn't much of an issue.

Not willing to pay 300 new so one would need to come up used. 

1 hour ago, knobby said:

I think once you add a camera / some method of guiding / maybe a coma corrector to the 4kg tube you'll be  pushing things a bit ? One gust of wind and you'll be struggling.

I thought that would be the case.

I've always wanted and 130pds.  They're pocket rockets!  It'll need to wait for a better mount.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I've always wanted and 130pds.  They're pocket rockets!  It'll need to wait for a better mount.

I'm not saying it won't work, just hard work 🙂 I think if it's all well balanced on a sturdy tripod in good conditions it's worth a bash maybe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shropshire lad said:

I am having so much trouble with the azimuth clutch, I have done the sleeve mod and that worked for a while ,but now thinking of permanently locking it ... will that pose any problems

What is the sleeve mod, not sure I've heard of this before? Or I may of I the deep recesses of my ickle brain. 

51 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I am selling a 130 PDS if your interested. It was a trade off with swmbo when I got my astro bins 😂

Selling cheap as I just want rid. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

I am selling a 130 PDS if your interested. It was a trade off with swmbo when I got my astro bins 😂

Selling cheap as I just want rid. 

I would love to but I think the wife would end up using it as a suppository on me.  I'm trying my best to behave and keep things small and simple for now.

200mm takumar len

Canon 600D

Az-gti mount.

Big stuff comes later.  I hope.  I also hope she doesnt find the guide scope and camera that I got on the cheap lol.

• Haha 3