Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

As this is the GTI Owners Club, I have to also add a link to AstroBloke's GTI stripdown video as well - very organised and well explained, so easy to see what to do;

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

No problems atall. It is a great video for the az gti tune up. Easy to follow and we'll explained. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great tips and vids thanks all. Mine developed up/down play in the alt axis. When the clutch was tightened, I could grab the vixen clamp and move it back and forth a few millimeters. Obviously with a telescope attached this can play havoc if you swap a lighter eyepiece to a heavier one. The whole caboodle dropped so an object disappeared from view. So a couple of nights ago I inflicted my lack of expertise and nonexistent engineering skills on the mount. Simply taking the cover off, removing the large alt gear and putting it all back together seems to have fixed it. I did lose a tiny screw right before attaching the cover. It took me twenty minutes to find the screw using a head torch!

If you're feckless, don't be afraid to have a go if the mount is out of warranty. 😀

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, adyj1 said:

As this is the GTI Owners Club, I have to also add a link to AstroBloke's GTI stripdown video as well - very organised and well explained, so easy to see what to do;

Thank you, nice to see the full strip down, something I think I'll do in the summertime 👍

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Great tips and vids thanks all. Mine developed up/down play in the alt axis. When the clutch was tightened, I could grab the vixen clamp and move it back and forth a few millimeters. Obviously with a telescope attached this can play havoc if you swap a lighter eyepiece to a heavier one. The whole caboodle dropped so an object disappeared from view. So a couple of nights ago I inflicted my lack of expertise and nonexistent engineering skills on the mount. Simply taking the cover off, removing the large alt gear and putting it all back together seems to have fixed it. I did lose a tiny screw right before attaching the cover. It took me twenty minutes to find the screw using a head torch!

If you're feckless, don't be afraid to have a go if the mount is out of warranty. 😀

Glad it worked for you by taking the alt gear out and reseating it, these kind of updates and tips to fix things sure do make the thread invaluable, cheers 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, powerlord said:

1. thats how I started. first az, then setup in eq mode. no guiding, computers, etc. I could get 3-4 mins subs ok with my 200mm. As others have said, key is good PA. The way to get this is to go around the loop several times:

1. setup azgti and align. then pa align.

2. now turn it off/on, and clear calibaration, and do it all again (be quicker this time, and you'll get closer to PA alighment)

3. do it about 3 times should get you really close, and then start your imaging.

balance is the main thing for heavy loads, if it's all balanced, and you have a bit of weight on the screw, 6+kg is possible.

3-4 minute subs unguided?  Wowzer.  Thanks for posting your method too.  Very helpful

• Like 2

I've been setting up my (new to me) Asiair Pro and looking at the list of ZWO manuals I saw one about linking the AZ GTI  with the Synscan app but it didn't say why one would do that.

Any pointers gratefully received.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I've been setting up my (new to me) Asiair Pro and looking at the list of ZWO manuals I saw one about linking the AZ GTI  with the Synscan app but it didn't say why one would do that.

Any pointers gratefully received.

I never bothered linking to the synscan app. The asiair app can do everything you want that the synscan app can, plus more 👍(unless I'm being a baffoon which I generally am) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Workflow is:

1. Power on asiair wait until it boots (beep),

2. Power on azgti,

3. From your controlling device (mobile/tablet) connect via WiFi to the azgti and start the synscan pro app, go through the usual routine of finding the mount, if you've got one of the updated firmwares for EQ mode it will ask whether you want to operate in altaz or EQ mode (I assume you want to use EQ mode),

4. Once connected just check the mount slews in RA and Dec,

5. There's a step here where I think your synscan app needs to stay open in the background and not be closed...

6. Change your WiFi on your controlling device to connect to the asiair and open the asiair app,

7. Skywatcher azgti/synscan WiFi should be selected as your mount,

And I think that's about it. You might need to alter the baud rate or something, haven't got it open in front of me so cannot confirm this atm. There's nothing you need to do regarding linking anything, only your asiair needs to be physically connected to the azgti via an EQDIR cable.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Elp,  I'll have a play today. One thing, my mount is connected to the Asiair with EQDIR cable so I've selected EQMOD

mount and not as you suggested in #7.

Is this wrong? I know the Asiair communicates with the mount as it made an adjustment when I selected "home".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

Thanks @Elp,  I'll have a play today. One thing, my mount is connected to the Asiair with EQDIR cable so I've selected EQMOD

Is this wrong? I know the Asiair communicates with the mount as it made an adjustment when I selected "home"

When I connect my az gti via eq dir cable I select eq mod in the mount type, when using asiair pro and phone. 

eq mod screen.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

Is this wrong? I know the Asiair communicates with the mount as it made an adjustment when I selected "home".

With the EQMOD cable you can do as @AstroNebulee says and dispense completely with synscan app and connecting to the mount WiFi.

It's my preferred mode of operation, and I have an old handset (from an az goto) that I use if I'm not using a PC. I dislike using the mobile app, and am grateful for other different options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sorry to keep coming back and asking questions, but what are you guys using as a tripod?  Is the original one good enough or are you using something beefier?  I'm just pricing stuff up and trying to figure out if I should get the mount on it's own or the mount/tripod/extension pillar?

The kids are expressing an interest now, thanks to the photos on here, so I might have to get an actual looking scope too lol.  There is a kit with the 130PS however that seems like a limiting option (it would be good for viewing, but there is limited forward use of it).  The 130PDS is available separately, has similar performance optically for viewing and has much greater scope for being useful down the road for more than visual.  Not saying it would image on this mount, but if the bug caught and I got a HEQ5 or something, then the 130PDS would be usable for imaging on that mount.

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Sorry to keep coming back and asking questions, but what are you guys using as a tripod?  Is the original one good enough or are you using something beefier?  I'm just pricing stuff up and trying to figure out if I should get the mount on it's own or the mount/tripod/extension pillar?

The kids are expressing an interest now, thanks to the photos on here, so I might have to get an actual looking scope too lol.  There is a kit with the 130PS however that seems like a limiting option (it would be good for viewing, but there is limited forward use of it).  The 130PDS is available separately, has similar performance optically for viewing and has much greater scope for being useful down the road for more than visual.  Not saying it would image on this mount, but if the bug caught and I got a HEQ5 or something, then the 130PDS would be usable for imaging on that mount.

Ask away with your questions that's what this thread is for. I use the star adventurer mount and extension pillar that can be bought with the az gti. I use it in its unextended form to give me more stability and find its a good height when sitting down. Ideally I would like the skywatcher 3/8 inch stainless steel tripod to give even more stability to my set up.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/sky-watcher-38-stainless-steel-tripod.html

Portability is what I need living in a first floor flat and taking my set up outside but even the 3/8 tripod is doable for me. 

The type of scope depends on what you'd like to do with it be it visual or image and many threads on that in the forum. I used to do visual but went to the imaging side along with my wallet. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

I've got a 2ft odd carbon fibre photo tripod, bought it for its compactness, lightness, rigidity and low centre of gravity with the setup on top, added the skywatcher pier so the imaging train doesn't hit it in operation. Works fine for my Z61 when it's not too windy. If I want to use the 130pds or have a more sturdy setup I've got a Berlebach uni but it's another thing to carry, not so compact and it's relatively heavy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello there 

Apologies if the question has been asked before. 

As I have switched to NINA recently.  Unfortunately, Synscan app from my laptop, Iphone and Ipad is saying “no device found”. However, everything is connected properly (ASCOM, Sharpcap, NINA, PHD2, Cartes Du Ciel) all through DeviceHub. (Using Lynx Astro FTDI EQDIR USB) When I press slew, the telescopes moves from the Sky Charts but I don’t see the telescope itself slewing. What could be the problem?

Note* The mount was connected to Stellarmate before I switched to NINA, might this be the problem? If yes, how can I disconnect the mount from the stellar? 

Thanks! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

6695F739-C487-4A8B-AFC6-74E170C04C61.jpeg

D5102946-F078-4DEF-AE8A-8D95576F9071.jpeg

Edited by DusknightbyFatma

Hi @DusknightbyFatma

Hopefully someone will be along shortly who uses nina transferring from stellarmate. I use an asiair pro so cannot commernt to much. But I have seen this video before where he uses nina on his az gti mount, there maybe some nuggets of help in  there. 

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DusknightbyFatma said:

@AstroNebulee

Hello, 

Thank for sharing. 
I have had followed all of his steps except for wifi steps. I am not using the mount wifi SynScan as it’s not shown on the App. I mean I can connect to the wifi of Synscan, but when lunch the App then ——> connect——-> it says “no device found” or cannot connect. 
That is why I have connected through the FTDI cabel. 

Thank  you. 

Edited by DusknightbyFatma

Does windows show that it's connected to the azgti via wifi, it would say it is connected to the azgti if it was. Try this basic connection first.

Edited by Elp

34 minutes ago, DusknightbyFatma said:

Hi 

So just to be clear you are only connecting the laptop to the mount via the eq dir cable? And once using the synscan windows programme says no device found.

Ignore this reply and use knobbys above 👍

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/03/2022 at 15:12, Ed the Fox said:

Took the scope out last night for the first time in ages using electric for the first time and an older phone as my current phone is now android 12 and the skywatcher app no longer works. 

Then all hell broke loose. Did a North/level alinement then asked it to go to Sirius. No. The scope pointed down and away from Sirius. Tried again .....no. So just asked it to go to another star instead. Again totally different part of the sky.

So I started to wonder if the phone itself knew where is was in the world. It did but was unable to get a GPS lock. So after disabling the "find my location" on my phone things got slightly better though only once was it in the field of view after asking it to find a target. I will now have to look for another used phone that can get a GPS lock on my position.

A frustrating evening all told.

Synscan pro version 1.19.12 on Skywatcher site works on Android 12 ... it's not on the play store for some reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Haven't posted in ages but came across this thread when googling Az-Gti.

Lost mojo due to constant clouds etc but managed a 4 hour run on the Monkey head last week. Roughly 90 mins on Ha, Oiii and Sii filters.

Tweaked and dabbled with in DSS / Siril and PS6 

PSX_20220302_200717.jpg

Edited by knobby
Typo
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, knobby said:

Haven't posted in ages but came across this thread when googling Az-Gti.

Lost mojo due to constant clouds etc but managed a 4 hour run on the Monkey head last week. Roughly 90 mins on Ha, Oiii and Sii filters.

Tweaked and dabbled with in DSS / Siril and PS6 

PSX_20220302_200717.jpg

Stunning image here! 

I know what you mean with the mojo thing but these images and times out under the stars make you forget it and enjoy astrophotography agsin, keep going your doing great 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1