Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

16 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

@RayWUK @bomberbazhere are my quick screenshots of settings for tonight.

IMG_20220324_194424.jpg

IMG_20220324_194416.jpg

IMG_20220324_192652.jpg

IMG_20220324_191302.jpg

IMG_20220324_191254.jpg

IMG_20220324_191244.jpg

IMG_20220324_194730.jpg

IMG_20220324_195350.jpg

IMG_20220324_195755.jpg

Thanks Lee, the one standout difference from my settings is the Guiding rate. I'm currently using 0.5s so will give 0.9s next time I'm out. Oh, and your aggr for RA and Dec are lower. Time for a play.

• Like 1

Thank you Laurence, shame they didn't go up in order but hey, hopefully they give some ideas. I'm not saying mine are correct, just what works for me and I do tweak the aggression settings or the gain on guidecam sometimes but not by much. I'd say the transparency tonight is worse than last night but will still try to get get more data on M101. 

• Like 1

Just now, AstroNebulee said:

Thank you Laurence, shame they didn't go up in order but hey, hopefully they give some ideas. I'm not saying mine are correct, just what works for me and I do tweak the aggression settings or the gain on guidecam sometimes but not by much. I'd say the transparency tonight is worse than last night but will still try to get get more data on M101. 

The transparency here near London is killing everything I want to do and has been for the last few nights.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, RayWUK said:

Thanks Lee, the one standout difference from my settings is the Guiding rate. I'm currently using 0.5s so will give 0.9s next time I'm out. Oh, and your aggr for RA and Dec are lower. Time for a play.

No problems Ray, like I said to Laurence on the post above, I'm not saying they are correct but hopefully give you an idea. I used to have my aggression settings very high to start with but learnt that the graph was up and down like a, saw blade with huge teeth. 

This link may be of some assistance too. 

https://eastwindastro.blogspot.com/2021/02/how-to-adjust-asiair-guide-aggression.html

Here the link to the whole blog site, some interesting reading 👍

https://eastwindastro.blogspot.com/

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

Yes noticed a few variations on my guiding rates and/or settings there Lee, I shall be making changes (when conditions allow) to my own settings and see if my tracking improves.

I should point out that until last week I had never even seen a guided setup, so the fact I am actually managing to do it at all still amazes me 😂

Steve

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

The transparency here near London is killing everything I want to do and has been for the last few nights.

I hear you Laurence, it's progressing towards my M101 target, I can barely make out the 4 body stars of Leo to the south, not been this bad in months 😔

9 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Yes noticed a few variations on my guiding rates and/or settings there Lee, I shall be making changes (when conditions allow) to my own settings and see if my tracking improves.

I should point out that until last week I had never even seen a guided setup, so the fact I am actually managing to do it at all still amazes me 😂

Steve

Hopefully you can glean some nuggets in there Steve. You are doing brilliantly, it's not easy this astrophotography lark, I still dont know half of it about guiding just what looks nice in the image taken and a nice flat graph too. 

Keep it up you are all doing so well and once it's sorted it'll be only a minor tweak here and there and just sit back and watch the subs roll in 👍 we are all here to support each other (I need help in spelling haha) 😊

Cheers

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee

9 minutes ago, powerlord said:

0.5 rms is amazing work for an azgti. well done

Thank you, its not always there it'll go to 2.0 at times but is hovering around 0.6-1.0 mostly these past 2 nights anyway with no wind. Hope it's all the tweaks to the gubbings doing it 😊

1 minute ago, powerlord said:

could be worth maybe @AstroNebulee doing a 'sticky' summary of all the best info in a post at start or seperate thread for folk to find easily ?

Yep you're right, though how I do that is beyond me. One day I shall have to go through the thread find the page number of various pieces of information and do it that way (then place in a sticky at the top 🤔

As my asiair has decided to be a pain in the posterior recently I decided as part of a trial to try m101 with my 224mc:

1584673571_M101-PinwheelGalaxy-224mc16minstestcopy_121002.thumb.jpg.ff5676b6153bc586ba332a496ba4d828.jpg

16 min stack, layer duplicated for luminosity. It's crazy what you can pick up with little time. The cam however is noisy and I still had the cam disconnecting issue with my asiair (on a separate thread). V1.9 of the asiair app does now have a stellarium type module built in which makes making mosaics so easy.

The image with my mono cam looks better but still working on it.

Guiding was all over the shop when using more frequent dithering, but settled between 1-2.5.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Elp said:

As my asiair has decided to be a pain in the posterior recently I decided as part of a trial to try m101 with my 224mc:

1584673571_M101-PinwheelGalaxy-224mc16minstestcopy_121002.thumb.jpg.ff5676b6153bc586ba332a496ba4d828.jpg

16 min stack, layer duplicated for luminosity. It's crazy what you can pick up with little time. The cam however is noisy and I still had the cam disconnecting issue with my asiair (on a separate thread). V1.9 of the asiair app does now have a stellarium type module built in which makes making mosaics so easy.

The image with my mono cam looks better but still working on it.

Guiding was all over the shop when using more frequent dithering, but settled between 1-2.5.

Looking good for your camera and integration time. 👍

Is the new 1.9 asiair version still beta? 

• Thanks 1

As if Clouds, Rain, Wind, & Moon doesnt Blight us, we now have little or no  cloud, Moon out of way until early hours BUT, Minute Sand Granules from the Sahara are giving a Milky aspect to my sky.

They apparently called Particulates.

Eric

• Sad 2

Update on my post from monday .... re locking the azimuth .... I have removed the azimuth adjust thread/knob and locked the azimuth clutch with a small screw so it is now solid .... and it has performed great now.

I can remove the small screw and revert back if needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shropshire lad said:

Update on my post from monday .... re locking the azimuth .... I have removed the azimuth adjust thread/knob and locked the azimuth clutch with a small screw so it is now solid .... and it has performed great now.

I can remove the small screw and revert back if needed.

Brilliant, so pleased you've managed to sort it and your mount is performing well, good luck on your next outing 👍

19 minutes ago, shropshire lad said:

Thank you... just set up to image m102 tonight.

Nice 😊, hope it goes well tonight. I've not trued m102 before. I got 4 hours on M101 past 2 nights and trying a few cheeky subs on IC405 until it disapears over a neighbours roof, guiding is a pain tonight with the gentle breeze in my wind tunnel area. Then will go on Markarian's chain for a bit, good luck 👍

35 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Nice 😊, hope it goes well tonight. I've not trued m102 before. I got 4 hours on M101 past 2 nights and trying a few cheeky subs on IC405 until it disapears over a neighbours roof, guiding is a pain tonight with the gentle breeze in my wind tunnel area. Then will go on Markarian's chain for a bit, good luck 👍

Yes and good luck to you also.

I was hoping to do M104 but my neighbours roof is in the way .... lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Planitair said:

As if Clouds, Rain, Wind, & Moon doesnt Blight us, we now have little or no  cloud, Moon out of way until early hours BUT, Minute Sand Granules from the Sahara are giving a Milky aspect to my sky.

They apparently called Particulates.

Eric

Same here but the kit is still set up tonight. I can't help myself!

• Like 2