Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which 3 of your eyepieces get the most use, and why?

F15Rules

5 hours ago, John said:

The focusers would cope OK I think, especially the Feathertouch on the TMB/LZOS 130 - it's in another league :smiley:

Sorry for the intermittent involvement - we had our booster jabs yesterday and are feeling a little groggy today :rolleyes2:

Hope you feel better soon John.

Had my booster 4 weeks ago didn't even get a sore arm this time, got my flu jab in the morning 

• Thanks 1

Guest 12green

Scope Meade LX90 acf.

when I use Binoviewers mainly for Lunar observing,  pairs of 25mm, 18mm and 8mm BST Starguiders.

when I dont, Maxivision 34mm, ES82 14mm, Meade Super Plossl 9.7mm

5 hours ago, 12green said:

Scope Meade LX90 acf.

when I use Binoviewers mainly for Lunar observing,  pairs of 25mm, 18mm and 8mm BST Starguiders.

when I dont, Maxivision 34mm, ES82 14mm, Meade Super Plossl 9.7mm

Nice!!👍

Dave

Guest 12green

Always intended doubling up on my 12&15 mms Starguiders as well for BV, just never got around to it. I don't really like swapping BV nosepiece barlow, to much faffing around.

I have a 10” dob and an 80mm refractor and my most used in both is the 27 Pan. I like the relatively modest size and weight for a wide field finder EP and the 68 degree FOV pairs well with the Delos line I think. Nice and comfortable with good eye relief.

Next would be the 6mm Delos, my planetary and faint star-buster of choice for both scopes. I did a comparison in the dob of the Delos 6mm (1.3 mm exit pupil) and Delos 4.5mm (1 mm exit pupil) using a 15th magnitude star at a good dark site. If there was a difference in perceived contrast and detectability from the higher mag I failed to see it. Both EP’s would comfortably go a few tenths of a magnitude deeper I’m sure. Preferred the 6mm for the larger and more relaxing field of view and tad sharper stars. It is great.

Third eyepiece… toss up between 10mm and 14mm Delos. Lets say the 10mm then. Good on many DSO’s.

Edited by davhei

Here we go for me: 

- TV-60: 24mm, 9mm, 3.4mm. All used equally.

- 4" Tak: as above, plus 5mm and 2.4mm. All, apart from the 2.4mm, are used equally.

- 12" F6 dob: 30mm, 25.1-6.7mm zoom (also w/ Barlow). All used equally.

- 16" F4 dob: 30mm (or 24mm), 12.5mm, 8mm, 6mm, 4.5mm (also w/ Barlow). Most used is 12.5mm, least used is 30mm (or 24mm).

Edited by Piero
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 20/11/2021 at 21:40, F15Rules said:

Having fairly recently streamlined my main eyepiece set to just 6 pieces, I thought the title question might bring out some interesting answers.

This thread is not intended to be a competition between brands/types of eyepiece..it's just for interest, entertainment...and, perhaps, might help us all to gain insight, inspiration and ideas as to how we might revisit our choices of eyepieces, and how and why we use them?

Although I do use all 6 of my eyepieces, there are definitely 3 that I have used most in the past 6 months (ie during late spring and summer, into Autumn).

My set consists of the following:

Carton 7-21mm zoom (40-60 degrees fov).

Morpheus 9mm - 76 deg

Nagler T2 22mm - 82deg

Morpheus 17.5mm -76deg

Axiom LX 23mm - 82deg

Axiom LX 31mm - 82deg

Over the spring and summer months, (in limited sessions, due to our using our freedom during the summer to travel to visit family and friends), my most used of the above were the Carton Zoom, Morpheus 9mm and Morpheus 17.5mm. However, the two Axiom LX UWA's are newer additions, and so haven't been available to use for very long.

Also, I think it is likely that my choices will change over the winter season, and I predict that my most used winter eyepieces will be the 9mm Morpheus, the 12mm Nagler and the 23mm Axiom.

I should also add that I do often use a Baader 2.25x Hyperion zoom barlow on the Zoom (at the 7mm setting, for very high power) the Morpheus 9mm and the Nagler 12mm, again for higher power on doubles etc.

I bought the two Axioms specifically for lower power wide angle observing: the 23mm was bought in the hope that it would match or better the amazing Vixen LVW 22mm that I foolishly let go several years ago, and are now like hen's teeth to find on the used market.

The 31mm I bought as I had read reports of it rivalling the fabled Nagler 31mm 82deg UWA, which is a very expensive eyepiece to buy, even used. In limited early testing of the Axioms so far, I am well pleased with them.

My case is shown below..the two largest black smooth barrelled eps are the decloaked Axiom Lx's.

Anyway, enough from me... let's hear about your choices, why you made them, and your reactions to other people's choices😊!

Dave

IMG_20211120_213220088.jpg

IMG_20211120_213402264.jpg

If I'm asked if I'd like tea or coffee I go into a panic, so asking which three eyepieces and why leaves me a bumbling wreck. How do I choose when they all make my mouth water? 

IMG_20211222_124713.thumb.jpg.40c824d42e32d762050fb7c1aca49e90.jpg1344059457_2020-07-3011_07_22.thumb.jpg.dbd7be57cbc0f7879ef47eabf523a671.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

If I'm asked if I'd like tea or coffee I go into a panic, so asking which three eyepieces and why leaves me a bumbling wreck. How do I choose when they all make my mouth water? 

1344059457_2020-07-3011_07_22.thumb.jpg.dbd7be57cbc0f7879ef47eabf523a671.jpg

Not often one sees a complete set, Mike.

A real collector’s item, as well as stunning optics 👍🏻

• Like 4

For me, it's my 17-10-6 Ethos.

The 10E is my most commonly used EP - just a beaut giving 200x in my 15" with a Paracorr 2 in place.

The 17E is great as a starting point on a target - or for larger targets.  Great for 'standing back' and seeing a glob or DSO in situ in a star field.

The 6E is great for planetary nebs, and planets ~330x.

I've a N31T5 for greater tfov, and an 8E between the 10E and 6E.  It does get use, but it's a luxury tbh.  I've a 2xPM for planetary nebs and nights of exceptional seeing.  Rarely gets used!! 😂

If I had to give them up, I'd drop the 2xPM, then controversially the N31T5 and lastly the 8E.  Subjective based on the targets I tend to chase!

All the EPs I see as lifetime investments.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

IMG_20211222_124713.thumb.jpg.40c824d42e32d762050fb7c1aca49e90.jpg1344059457_2020-07-3011_07_22.thumb.jpg.dbd7be57cbc0f7879ef47eabf523a671.jpg

Blimey Mike, it must take you half an hour to decide which eyepiece to choose.  That is judging by the 15 minutes it takes you to decide if you want tea or coffee, as you've already admitted. 😁.

• Haha 4

This is easy for me to decide as I only have three eyepieces, not counting the two pairs of orthos I use with my binoviewer. 

The 17.5 Morpheus, 24mm Hyperion and a Baader Mk111 zoom.  I do cheat and use a x2 and x3 barlow with the three single eyepieces though.

Mm, am I missing out on something? 🤔 😊

• Like 3

My most used eyepieces are the TeleVue Panoptic 24mm (low power/wide field), the Baader Hyperion MkIV 8-24mm zoom (everything in between) and the Vixen SLV 6mm (high power). If I want/need higher power, I barlow the zoom, making it 10.5-3.5mm. I also have a pair of BCO 18mm for Binoviewing which has a x1.75 GPC and I much prefer this for observing the Moon and Planets. I seem to be able to make out more detail when using both eyes.

• Like 2

1. I always start with either my decloaked Meade 5000 SWA 40mm or Pentax XW 40mm (depending on the telescope) to scan the skies to enjoy a rich star field or two and then center objects for higher powers.
  2. Next, I tend to jump up to either the 12mm or 17mm ES-92 to have a closer look.  Often times, I spend most of the night with them.
  3. If I want to get an even closer look, I tend to pop in my trusty old Pentax XL 5.2mm.  If it is too much, I'll back off to the Pentax XW 7mm or even Morpheus 9mm.  If I think the skies are steady enough, I might pop in the Pentax XW 3.5mm.

So, not so much three most used eyepieces as three most used eyepiece focal ranges.  I don't find myself using the 22mm Nagler T4 or 30mm APM UFF all that much except in the 127 Mak where I need to downshift focal lengths a bit thanks to its long focal length and high f-ratio.

• Like 1

Sorry, less exclusive / expensive selection!

On my 150 dob:

30mm Vixen NPL  ( I love this EP!) for widish views and DSOs 

OVL Hyperflex  7.2 - 21.5mm zoom 

Svbony UWA 6mm (stop-gap low f/l until I can afford a better one, but does a fair job). Used only on planets.

But all this is likely to change as I have a Pentax XW 14mm due to arrive today!😛 Looking forward to pairing that with my ES Focal extender x2 when it eventually comes....

I also have a BST Starguider 8mm which is less often used.

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Sorry, less exclusive / expensive selection

Please don't apologise for your eyepieces...we all have different means and are at different stages of our great hobby.

What really matters is that we can all get some wonderful observations with whatever equipment we have.

Speaking for myself, I'd happily trade my top 3 eyepieces for "lesser" ones in exchange for doubling the number of decent clear observing nights we get here in the UK!☺️

Dave

IMG_20211223_154010645.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Photo added
  • Like 9

I generally start with the 25mm BST to find things then pop in the Hyperion IV zoom. That gets a lot of use, sometimes with the matching 2.25x Barlow.

My most used eyepiece is the BST 15mm, a very good performer especially on Jupiter and Saturn coupled with the Hyperion IV zoom 2.25x Barlow. 

This may change shortly as I've had a brace of Pentax XWs delivered today. 😁 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Dark Vader said:

I generally start with the 25mm BST to find things then pop in the Hyperion IV zoom. That gets a lot of use, sometimes with the matching 2.25x Barlow.

My most used eyepiece is the BST 15mm, a very good performer especially on Jupiter and Saturn coupled with the Hyperion IV zoom 2.25x Barlow. 

This may change shortly as I've had a brace of Pentax XWs delivered today. 😁 

Grrrr! No sign of mine.....😭

• Sad 2

Difficult question Dave.

For planets: Tak TOE 4mm.  
For solar/lunar binoviewing: Leica HC Plan S 25mm.
Night vision: TV plossl 55/67mm. 

Probably my most used eyepiece is Panoptic 24. I know it has pincushion distortion but not once has that been a problem during observing. It’s just an all-round excellent eyepiece. A modern classic. It’s a useful finder eyepiece. A great DSO performer. The first EP in the case when travelling. And brilliant for binoviewing, including on the Sun. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

Sorry, less exclusive / expensive selection!

No need to be apologetic.  I've been at this for over 20 years, so I've been collecting little by little.  I'm at the point in life where I have the time to get out more, but my back and neck often ache too much by the evening to even think about hunching over an eyepiece for hours at a time.  I'd love to shave 25 years off my body, but that's not happening.

What's important is to get outside with what you've got available and make the most of it.  What good is a sports car if it sits in the garage year-round for myriad reasons?  It's better to have a utilitarian vehicle that gets used every day.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Louis D said:

No need to be apologetic.  I've been at this for over 20 years, so I've been collecting little by little.  I'm at the point in life where I have the time to get out more, but my back and neck often ache too much by the evening to even think about hunching over an eyepiece for hours at a time.  I'd love to shave 25 years off my body, but that's not happening.

What's important is to get outside with what you've got available and make the most of it.  What good is a sports car if it sits in the garage year-round for myriad reasons?  It's better to have a utilitarian vehicle that gets used every day.

Thanks, Louis, makes me feel a little less like the shabby poor relation at the wedding...!😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, cajen2 said:

Thanks, Louis, makes me feel a little less like the shabby poor relation at the wedding...!😄

You have some great eyepieces! The zoom has a fine reputation, and I’m sure your new Pentax will be stunning. For the first 15 years in the hobby, I only had some Meade Plossls and loved them. Not until relatively late in life did I start buying more expensive EPs (funnily enough coinciding with the time I joined this forum)…..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Even though I have the SLVs I mentioned on the first page, I'm currently preferring, in my 102mm, my orthos Barlowed. In particular the 9mm and 7mm are just such good eyepieces for planetary they offer up bright, crisp views.

• Like 2

Well it's simple for me as I really only have three eyepieces.  The one that I used the most is the Orion 8mm to 24mm variable.  It does a pretty good job on the moon and planets.  I have gotten the Ring Nebula in it, the Hercules Cluster and does a reasonable job on the Orion Nebula.  Is it a perfect lens for deep sky....nope, but it is fun to see what I can push it to do.  Yes I know....I need more eyepieces.....I am working on it