Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

God Bless America!

Pompey Monkey

23 minutes ago, JamesF said:

My wife has cooked meals a few times recently where the recipe called for "a bunch of spring onions" (salad onions in Left Pondian, as far as I'm aware).

How much exactly is "a bunch" of onions when I go out to the veggie plot and pick them?  And if I go out and pick two bunches (whatever that is) and then put them together, do I now just have one bunch?

James

A perennial topic in our house.  As a very literal person, I want recipes to state grams or millilitres. Any mention of "a sprig of", "a pinch of", "a splash of", "a handful of" (or even, a good handful of") will make me look for a different recipe.

36 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

"a handful of"

That one is particularly irritating.  Whose hands are we supposed to use for this?  Has the recipe-writer not noticed that there's quite a lot of variation in hand size?

James

8 minutes ago, JamesF said:

That one is particularly irritating.  Whose hands are we supposed to use for this?  Has the recipe-writer not noticed that there's quite a lot of variation in hand size?

James

I am OK with this, for example a small child would fill his/her mitts with the right amount of rice/salad/peas/nuts/chilies etc for their needs and an adult would get a bigger portion 🙂

Alan

On 08/11/2021 at 13:21, StevieDvd said:

And just to confuse  - a yard of ale.

For our American readers, that's a yard as in about 1metre - not as in back-yard.

Mind you- an American yard of ale would be a challenge!

On 08/11/2021 at 08:07, Laurieast said:

What about roundabouts where they meet up with even-numbered 'A' roads 🤔

Forget about obscure scenarios like that.  Americans have no idea who has to yield the right of way at traffic circles.  I've seen drivers go crashing into circles thinking those in the circle will yield to them, and I've seen drivers bring the circle to a stop to allow another driver to enter from the side.  Since we didn't grow up with them, they're a complete mystery to us.

• Haha 1

Indeed, Americans seem to confuse 'traffic circles' with roundabouts. The two are completely different. We've already seen that confusion here.

You only need to watch YouTube car crashes to see how lethal US intersections are.

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Indeed, Americans seem to confuse 'traffic circles' with roundabouts. The two are completely different. We've already seen that confusion here.

Pretty much, all American "traffic circles" are roundabouts in reality.  The old fashioned traffic circles like Columbus Circle are all but nonexistent nowadays.

This is more what is likely to happen in the US.  They redesign a 90 degree intersection into a "roundabout" by putting a raised, circular island in the middle of it.  Next thing you know, some drunk comes tearing down the street late at night and hits the raised island, launching it through the air:

I was most impressed it dislodged the large boulder.

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

I've seen drivers bring the circle to a stop to allow another driver to enter from the side. 

I've seen that too. In Sweden, where roundabouts/traffic circles are all too common.

• 3 weeks later...

“The bullets in the Garseddai gun,” five-year-old Mianaai continued, “aren’t really bullets. They’re… devices. Dormant, until the gun arms them. At that point, it doesn’t matter how much kinetic energy they have leaving the gun. From the moment of impact, it makes however much energy it needs to cut through the target for precisely 1.11 meters. And then it stops.”

“Stops.” I was aghast.

“One point eleven meters?” asked Seivarden, kneeling beside me. Puzzled.

Mianaai made a dismissive gesture.Aliens. Different standard units, I assume.

Ann Leckie -"Ancillary Justice". 😅