SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rowan AZ75 - Stu’s thoughts

Stu

Is it a complete red herring  to want to look around the Zenith with a manual AZ75, or any similar az mount, anyway? Very difficult* to track by hand through there. In the UK there can be no transitory events, such as on planets and lunar. So why not just observe say 40 min earlier or later? Enjoy the AZ around the polar area and an EQ around the zenith

* OK, you can go exactly E-W by setting the elev axis N-S,  but that only tracks just at the Zenith itself.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Is it a complete red herring  to want to look around the Zenith with a manual AZ75, or any similar az mount, anyway? Very difficult* to track by hand through there. In the UK there can be no transitory events, such as on planets and lunar. So why not just observe say 40 min earlier or later? Enjoy the AZ around the polar area and an EQ around the zenith

* OK, you can go exactly E-W by setting the elev axis N-S,  but that only tracks just at the Zenith itself.

You are probably right Stephen, although the other night I was trying to spot something high up and it became a problem, so it does need addressing with the pillar I think. The chaps have got that in hand though, so all is well.

Plenty of discussion going on behind the scenes sorting things out 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2021 at 16:32, Stu said:

A few brief moments of Solar this afternoon, AZ75 with Tak and PST mod.

A6B6FA14-D596-4C18-AC56-267EB0312401.jpeg

Very nice Stu. I have to say I have used many alt/az mounts over the years some with slow motion cables and some without. The quality of the az75 is amazing and wonderful. Tracking the Sun using your Tak today tells me I want one of these mounts and you really don't need the cables.

Last word brilliant.

P.S. I also now want a Tak😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Very nice Stu. I have to say I have used many alt/az mounts over the years some with slow motion cables and some without. The quality of the az75 is amazing and wonderful. Tracking the Sun using your Tak today tells me I want one of these mounts and you really don't need the cables.

Last word brilliant.

P.S. I also now want a Tak😀

I’m really glad we got some half decent seeing to allow you to see a bit of what the Tak can do, but I apologise for putting temptation in your way 🤣. There was some lovely detail visible wasn’t there?

It’s a great little mount that’s hugely capable and just very enjoyable to use as you discovered.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just to update on this thread, I’ve received back an updated AZ75 which is likely pretty close to the final version.

The most significant change is a slight increase to height and width to help avoid tripod clashes, and, I think, give slightly more internal room for encoders.

Various other tweaks which I won’t go into here, but one small change is the addition of an angled hole for the handle. This can be reversed so the handle can point up or down as necessary.

I’ve only tried this out inside so far, but all seems good. My PST mod misses the tripod, just, when at the zenith which is a good sign. The Nexus unit mounts neatly onto the front of the mount (away from the observer), and a quick test alignment worked perfectly; point level and North, turn on the Nexus, connect to the WiFi, turn on SkySafari and connect and away you go. Push to a star, align, push to another, align and Robert is, indeed, your Father’s Brother 👍.

For full disclosure, I had the clutch tighten part way to stop the scope rotating back when at the zenith. This remained smooth and very easy to use ie not too stiff to push, but we are looking at ways of allowing better balancing adjustment, so watch this space.

8F1A48D0-2A60-4060-BF23-25B79782F563.thumb.jpeg.1cf7e0dd6fdbb4466ce4bd80655b766e.jpeg

DFE5BAFC-0786-48AD-A8CF-5CA2615EC47F.thumb.jpeg.27cb9bb6e5f939fc0332d20cb8b91cc0.jpeg

4261DFC5-F15B-40EF-BF73-038CAD6BF4E6.thumb.jpeg.8237b36d2ad303f26e6bd8aacfe0d338.jpeg

956DDA0A-1AAD-4F08-ACCE-3A78F7A0F177.thumb.jpeg.5d13d3d69992d98e383b2b47b030898e.jpeg

573E0704-4FF2-46B4-A5A5-516E54EEC095.thumb.jpeg.a1a871e4dde72580f4b3b25ed2c35ccb.jpeg

BE83FA9A-539A-45CC-9C7E-C939DA530EA1.thumb.jpeg.c55ca272781d11ca866f22430164e065.jpeg

67199941-0761-4382-BAD4-95F1C9EE85D0.thumb.jpeg.f051b3679b5a0a5b732b97459625bdf6.jpeg

539E2A92-CF1F-4BEE-A5AE-EF4E177CF53E.thumb.jpeg.23ef0e478a8d0da5592d944f7e02605c.jpeg

B2E0C2D5-D003-4339-93EB-321753097E18.thumb.jpeg.5a2bf776c8f5103acac8ba488fe2011e.jpeg

5035E332-B24D-427E-BDD9-7ACCC3FF5D3E.thumb.jpeg.fb3e8c458fb41d3d641f478d70a092be.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Looking very nice.

Hopefully we'll get to see it in the flesh at the PAS in a couple of weeks.

What are the recommended scope size and weight limits ?

I’m actually not sure on rating. I reckon it will take 15kg but would rather the Rowan chaps confirmed this. I’ve had the LZOS 130mm f6 on it without it breaking sweat, and that’s quite chunky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/10/2021 at 16:56, Alan White said:

That's exactly my thoughts @Stu,
if you do just Planets, then you have a very limited menu.

Well Alan. My main interests have been planets, plus particularly the sun and Moon for years, though not exclusively.  Though of course, some may say the same thing about exclusively deep sky observers - particularly those who wish the Moon would vanish from the night sky.

Don't worry on my behalf though Alan.  Despite  my 'limited  menu' of interests, I'm sure there will be enough to keep me occupied for the remaining time I have left to observe 🤣.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

Well Alan. My main interests have been planets, plus particularly the sun and Moon for years, though not exclusively.  Though of course, some may say the same thing about exclusively deep sky observers - particularly those who wish the Moon would vanish from the night sky.

Don't worry on my behalf though Alan.  Despite  my 'limited  menu' of interests, I'm sure there will be enough to keep me occupied for the remaining time I have left to observe 🤣.

Paul, that's fair enough comment.
What I really meant was why limit what you observe and just be a very observe all that you can,
if we limit ourselves to one target type, great, but the menu is wider.

I do a lot of Solar observing, it's readily available and the only Sun I can observe in detail with ease.
I also do a lot of Lunar observing to for exactly the same reasons.
But my scope then does look all over at the fantastic variety the Cosmos presents to us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Paul, that's fair enough comment.
What I really meant was why limit what you observe and just be a very observe all that you can,
if we limit ourselves to one target type, great, but the menu is wider.

I do a lot of Solar observing, it's readily available and the only Sun I can observe in detail with ease.
I also do a lot of Lunar observing to for exactly the same reasons.
But my scope then does look all over at the fantastic variety the Cosmos presents to us.

Thanks Alan.  No problem,  I thought it was quite funny.  I do like deep sky, but I go to Kelling every Autumn for my deep sky fix.  The trouble is, when I'm back home even my best nights aren't a patch on Kelling 😊.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Thanks Alan.  No problem,  I thought it was quite funny.  I do like deep sky, but I go to Kelling every Autumn for my deep sky fix.  The trouble is, when I'm back home even my best nights aren't a patch on Kelling 😊.

I know that feeling, I have terrible sky here at home, too much light pollution.
You have to make the best of what we are served after all.

• Like 2

Hi,

I am patiently (well nearly patiently) waiting on this mount to complement the AZ100. I notice you have it on the Vixen Hal, does it fit out of the box on it or have you an adapter? Also how does it ride on it, is it stable? 

I am looking to get this to replace my Vixen APZ for my Grab 'n' Go scopes, the APZ is already on a Hal tripod (which I like for it's lightness) and if it is a good fit, it would save me getting another BB (though BBs are hard to resist in the long term).

Thx

Neil

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Neil P said:

Hi,

I am patiently (well nearly patiently) waiting on this mount to complement the AZ100. I notice you have it on the Vixen Hal, does it fit out of the box on it or have you an adapter? Also how does it ride on it, is it stable? 

I am looking to get this to replace my Vixen APZ for my Grab 'n' Go scopes, the APZ is already on a Hal tripod (which I like for it's lightness) and if it is a good fit, it would save me getting another BB (though BBs are hard to resist in the long term).

Thx

Neil

Hi Neil,

I bought the HAL from here (Callisto/Mark) and it came with an adaptor for the GP mounts as, as standard, they don’t fit.

For a single scope it seems fine, no vibration but I must admit with my two solar scope on there was more vibration than I would normally like. The PST mod is long and both have binoviewers so I suspect that’s the problem. There is also no accessory tray which can help make things more rigid. I bought it as a lightweight option for the Vixen GP-DX which it is quite capable of. Next time out I’ll try the AZ75 on the Uni-28 and Planet to see what different that makes. Should steady things up nicely I reckon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the astronomy show at Kettering and saw the AZ75 myself in the flesh myself today and can honestly say I have no intention of ever buying one.  No, really,  I mean it, I don't want one at all, I don't, I really don't......sigh

20220319_091458.thumb.jpg.f29611cbb63e74575fc453cbb92f6702.jpg

20220319_091444.thumb.jpg.c25dfd1759a12c4ad2adaa5e7746e16e.jpg

20220319_091330.thumb.jpg.aa2911465273762265286cc5f1c32171.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I went to the astronomy show at Kettering and saw the AZ75 myself in the flesh myself today and can honestly say I have no intention of ever buying one.  No, really,  I mean it, I don't want one at all, I don't, I really don't......sigh

20220319_091458.thumb.jpg.f29611cbb63e74575fc453cbb92f6702.jpg

20220319_091444.thumb.jpg.c25dfd1759a12c4ad2adaa5e7746e16e.jpg

20220319_091330.thumb.jpg.aa2911465273762265286cc5f1c32171.jpg

Thanks for the pics Paul. Shame i couldn’t make it in the end, the AZ75 was one of the things I was interested in seeing. Are they revealing the price yet? 

9 hours ago, RobertI said:

Thanks for the pics Paul. Shame i couldn’t make it in the end, the AZ75 was one of the things I was interested in seeing. Are they revealing the price yet? 

Robert, I was told about £540 - £570, and availability perhaps in four weeks.  These are not set in stone though of course and we're only the current estimates.  The price is just the mount head only of course.

The quality of manufacture is as Stu and other testers have said, really quality engineering.

Edited by paulastro
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Stephenstargazer said:

What is the purpose of the power box on an AZ 75?

The encoders would only need power from  DSC or Nexus. There are no slow motions to be motorised. Is there something else inside?? 

It’s not a power box, it effectively replaces a Nexus or DSC, taking the encoder inputs and generating a WiFi network to connect to. I didn’t know it would work with an AZ75; I’ve been using a Nexus with mine, but as you would expect, the Rowan unit looks and fits much better.

• Thanks 2