Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ75 - Stu’s thoughts

Stu

1 hour ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Given that I still have the Nexus II that I used with my long-sold Twilight-1 mount, the fourth picture down on the left side of the AZ75 page does look appealing. 

They work very well together 

• Like 2

The Nexus II works just fine with the AZ75 and I’m using a SmallRig power bank holder to secure it to the mount.  The holder can be screwed in either side of the mount using the spare mounting holes and is a very neat and tidy solution.   

I bought the AZ75 direct from Rowan and so far I’m VERY impressed with it.   It’s beautifully engineered and carries all my scopes comfortably (e.g. C9.25, LZOS 123/738).    

Most impressive of all is the degree of “stiction” control.   I’ve used other alt-az, push-to mounts in the past which use conventional Teflon pads and been frustrated with the constant, often inaccurate nudging to keep the target in view but the Rowan solution works MUCH better and is a dream to use.  Personally, for my style of viewing I’m happier that they didn’t add slo-mo controls, but each to their own.   

5FAB82ED-B5BF-40C2-AADF-1C1E1315812F.jpeg

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Alma said:

The Nexus II works just fine with the AZ75 and I’m using a SmallRig power bank holder to secure it to the mount.  The holder can be screwed in either side of the mount using the spare mounting holes and is a very neat and tidy solution.   

I bought the AZ75 direct from Rowan and so far I’m VERY impressed with it.   It’s beautifully engineered and carries all my scopes comfortably (e.g. C9.25, LZOS 123/738).    

Most impressive of all is the degree of “stiction” control.   I’ve used other alt-az, push-to mounts in the past which use conventional Teflon pads and been frustrated with the constant, often inaccurate nudging to keep the target in view but the Rowan solution works MUCH better and is a dream to use.  Personally, for my style of viewing I’m happier that they didn’t add slo-mo controls, but each to their own.   

Looks great and glad you like it so far, it's a very nice mount.
The Nexus II looks very neat fitted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alma said:

Most impressive of all is the degree of “stiction” control.   I’ve used other alt-az, push-to mounts in the past which use conventional Teflon pads and been frustrated with the constant, often inaccurate nudging to keep the target in view

That's been my experience also, which is why I'm hesitant about friction mounts.  The other end of the spectrum is you have to loosen them to the point that the scope is basically flopping about.

but the Rowan solution works MUCH better and is a dream to use. 

Ahh, now that is good to hear. 

• Like 1

On 21/06/2022 at 15:09, Neil P said:

Thanks all. I will order it with the M10 fitting and see how secure I feel it is, if I am not happy I can still get a BB.

Well the AZ75 arrived, it is a lovely bit of kit, just as I expected. It sits fine on the Hal tripod and is secure enough for the wee Tak. I am waiting on the AZ75 handle becoming available to fully complete my new grab’n’go setup. 

I have only had a few hours with it but so far I am loving it.  I got the Nexus DSC with it as well, I am always impressed when I use a nexus. I am visual only so the speed of setup and accuracy of a good alt/az and dscs is perfect for me.

• Like 4

On 28/06/2022 at 11:23, Alma said:

Nice set up.

Looks like a Gitzo tripod you have there ?

I'm interested to know how you've fitted the AZ75 on to it ?

Do you have any special adaptation ??

9 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

Nice set up.

Looks like a Gitzo tripod you have there ?

I'm interested to know how you've fitted the AZ75 on to it ?

Do you have any special adaptation ??

Yes, it’s a Gitzo GT5532 which has 3/8” thread.  I ordered the AZ75 with an M10 threaded base for my regular set up - not everyone would be happy with the idea but the two threads are very similar and 3/8” into M10 works perfectly well (i.m.o.) but not the other way round.   

• Like 2

On 03/07/2022 at 08:30, Alma said:

Yes, it’s a Gitzo GT5532 which has 3/8” thread.  I ordered the AZ75 with an M10 threaded base for my regular set up - not everyone would be happy with the idea but the two threads are very similar and 3/8” into M10 works perfectly well (i.m.o.) but not the other way round.   

Edit :

The AZ75 has interchangeable base  so it's possible to change 3/8" M10 or M12 thread sizes if required.

Dek.

Edited by Dek Rowan Astro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dek Rowan Astro said:

The AZ75 has interchangeable base inserts so it's possible to swap out 3/8" M10 or M12 thread sizes..

Dek.

Quite, I should have added those options to my post.   I use a Berlebach Uni 18 with M10 base plate for my AZ75, but I think the Gitzo 5 Series (which has 3/8”) makes a very sturdy foundation also, but of course it’s much better to use the correct thread.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alma said:

Quite, I should have added those options to my post.   I use a Berlebach Uni 18 with M10 base plate for my AZ75, but I think the Gitzo 5 Series (which has 3/8”) makes a very sturdy foundation also, but of course it’s much better to use the correct thread.

I've edited my post as the AZ75 can have the base flange changed to another thread size is required.

(Working on the price for a new base flange).

ATB

Dek

Edited by Dek Rowan Astro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I wish to mount my AZ100 Dual saddle onto my AZ75.  Can anyone confirm which bolt size I require?  There appears to be only two bolt holes avialable that match those on the dual saddle and each is larger than the mounting bolts used with the AZ100.

15 hours ago, CeeDee47 said:

I wish to mount my AZ100 Dual saddle onto my AZ75.  Can anyone confirm which bolt size I require?  There appears to be only two bolt holes avialable that match those on the dual saddle and each is larger than the mounting bolts used with the AZ100.

Looks like the dual saddles for the AZ75 are different to those on the AZ100. See the PDF for them here AZ75 & AZ100

The AZ100 has four bolts whilst the AZ75 uses two. Perhaps that's why they use a larger bolt size on the AZ75

1 minute ago, StevieDvd said:

Looks like the dual saddles for the AZ75 are different to those on the AZ100. See the PDF for them here AZ75 & AZ100

The AZ100 has four bolts whilst the AZ75 uses two. Perhaps that's why they use a larger bolt size on the AZ75

Yes, they are different but they do fit as I’ve done it myself. I’m away at the moment but could check at the weekend.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, they are different but they do fit as I’ve done it myself. I’m away at the moment but could check at the weekend.

Perhaps the images in the AZ75 PDF are enough for @CeeDee47to indicate which holes to use with the AZ100 bolts. Or even better the images in your post earlier in this thread @Stu 😀

Edited by StevieDvd
Add note of images in thread

On 04/10/2022 at 20:02, CeeDee47 said:

Hello CeeDee,

Bolts required are M8x16 long.

The AZ100 and AZ75 share common 35mm mounting centres so saddles are interchangeable.

Also, the 35mm centres are standard on Takahashi, which allow their clam shell to fit both AZ100 and AZ75 without the use of saddles for example.

ATB

Derek.

• Thanks 2

On 06/10/2022 at 09:09, Dek Rowan Astro said:

Also, the 35mm centres are standard on Takahashi, which allow their clam shell to fit both AZ100 and AZ75 without the use of saddles for example.

Finally got round to testing mine (briefly) and it works beautifully…. Very smooth movement and very controllable too 👍

Mounted  on a Berlebach Uni 28 and I’ve got FOA-60Q and FC-100DZ onboard tonight.

As it’s intended as a lightweight mount for the DZ primarily, I’ve followed Dereks advise and mounted the clam shell directly (I’ve got another attached to a Losmandy plate for my AZ100). Works well and keeps the weight down further.

Very impressive mount 😀

E1AE04A5-8D58-46E7-A3F6-F0F417E70525.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Finally got round to testing mine (briefly) and it works beautifully…. Very smooth movement and very controllable too 👍

Mounted  on a Berlebach Uni 28 and I’ve got FOA-60Q and FC-100DZ onboard tonight.

As it’s intended as a lightweight mount for the DZ primarily, I’ve followed Dereks advise and mounted the clam shell directly (I’ve got another attached to a Losmandy plate for my AZ100). Works well and keeps the weight down further.

Very impressive mount 😀

E1AE04A5-8D58-46E7-A3F6-F0F417E70525.jpeg

Hah! Just commented on the other thread about the direct mounting of your saddle, Gary. Looks very neat!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Hah! Just commented on the other thread about the direct mounting of your saddle, Gary. Looks very neat!

Was about to reply on that, but here you go…

This mount is intended as a lightweight mount for DZ primarily, so as I have two clam shells (don’t ask 🤣), it made sense to use it directly (it’s lighter too). Also, I did try an AZ100 dual saddle, and the DZ finder prevented the OTA from being moved far enough forward for balancing 🤔

The Vixen saddle is there for using FS-60CB or FOA-60Q and also to mount the pan/tilt handle 👍

Great little mount and perfect for when I need more scope than the FC-76DCU (my grab and go) but don’t want to get the whole AZ100/iOptron Tri Pier setup out 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Was about to reply on that, but here you go…

This mount is intended as a lightweight mount for DZ primarily, so as I have two clam shells (don’t ask 🤣), it made sense to use it directly (it’s lighter too). Also, I did try an AZ100 dual saddle, and the DZ finder prevented the OTA from being moved far enough forward for balancing 🤔

The Vixen saddle is there for using FS-60CB or FOA-60Q and also to mount the pan/tilt handle 👍

Great little mount and perfect for when I need more scope than the FC-76DCU (my grab and go) but don’t want to get the whole AZ100/iOptron Tri Pier setup out 😀

Looks perfect. Glad you’ve gone with the proper Tak clamshells 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Looks perfect. Glad you’ve gone with the proper Tak clamshells 👍🏻

Thanks… I have clam shells on all my Taks… not just to keep them “as intended”, but because they are super easy to adjust for balance and (arguably) safer 🤔

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Coxy80 said:

I've just taken the plunge and ordered an AZ75 anyone have any suggestions on a nice tripod for this? I did fancy a Berlebach but unsure on which one will fit? 

They now have their own fit if you order via FLO. Same as a standard EQ6 i think. Unless the AZ75 differs from the AZ100 ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Coxy80 said:

I've just taken the plunge and ordered an AZ75 anyone have any suggestions on a nice tripod for this? I did fancy a Berlebach but unsure on which one will fit? 

Mine came with a 3/8" base, but it can also be obtained with an M10 base, which will fit a lot of EQ5 tripods I think 🤔

I had an EQ5 to 3/8" adaptor anyway, so am just using that... mine is mounted on a Berlebach Uni 28, but also fits on my Berlebach Report 472.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2022 at 15:59, Coxy80 said:

I think you may have saved me from an earbashing. :D

Edited by UKDiver