Jump to content

2052839955_Mobilephonebanner.jpg.a502a319d7033354d442937f2edd0c2c.jpg

Rowan AZ75 - Stu’s thoughts


Stu
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Yes that is the info I require. I have the AZ5 metal tripod which is 3/8th thread same as a standard photo tripod. If it fits I fancy this new mount but don't want to purchase another tripod.

The tripod I have in mind if I went for it is the Berlebach Uni 28 with an EQ5/HEQ5 hub. Sounds like this is a possible option from Rowan (M10 bolt fitting).

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, John said:

The tripod I have in mind if I went for it is the Berlebach Uni 28 with an EQ5/HEQ5 hub. Sounds like this is a possible option from Rowan (M10 bolt fitting).

 

Yep, that should work John.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just renamed a YouTube channel I had messed around with some time back and uploaded the videos there. Hope it works…

I’ll maybe add some more useful stuff on there as I go along. There’s a Jupiter video on there too just for interest.

Aha! That I can see 🙂

Even more relaxing with the delightfully smooth rotation added to the bird song , you could market that as an anti-insomnia vid, with sweet dreams of lovely altaz mounts promised for the viewer after it takes effect ...

Heather

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Yes that is the info I require. I have the AZ5 metal tripod which is 3/8th thread same as a standard photo tripod. If it fits I fancy this new mount but don't want to purchase another tripod.

I’ve just tried it on my Gitzo Mark and this one, with M10 threaded base fits perfectly. Sits very nicely on it too, ideal for a lighter setup.

E5BE2ABF-2030-41C1-B791-BCE7D9A11B5F.jpeg

86FFC030-4FD5-430F-8F80-34E525DA4C03.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Aha! That I can see 🙂

Even more relaxing with the delightfully smooth rotation added to the bird song , you could market that as an anti-insomnia vid, with sweet dreams of lovely altaz mounts promised for the viewer after it takes effect ...

Heather

It's a Magic Roundabout for me. Though I did appreciate the bird song.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Will this need a half pier as well to make sure of clean clearence?

Maybe not as the tripod top is much smaller than the Planet. It fits with the Skywatcher AZGTI pillar but I would be starting to be concerned about stability in this configuration. Would probably hang a weight off the tripod, which kind of defeats the object of the lighter setup.

C0428FAD-4E9C-466B-B563-CA057F8D83A4.jpeg

0FFDCAD1-5BE5-4F4F-95B6-B71EF964E2DD.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, John said:

What fitting is the centre threaded hole in the base of the AZ75 Stu ?

(apologies if you have already mentioned this)

It’s M10 John, which will take a 3/8” too.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some more videos on YouTube now.

First with clutches loose and only one scope on to show how smooth it is even without counterweight.

Second one is with clutches set. For observing, smooth motion, no stiction but scope stays put.

Finally, Stu’s tap test. Even on the pillar, it damps within a second.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A novel problem with loosen clutches, stopping the scope once its moving...  Look at at the sky look back down and the scopes gone !

If I held that ethos in an out stretched arm and some one tapped me on the head I think I would wobble.

Edited by StarryEyed
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, StarryEyed said:

A novel problem with loosen clutches, stopping the scope once its moving...  Look at at the sky look back down and the scopes gone !

If I held that ethos in an out stretched arm and some one tapped me on the head I think I would wobble.

It did nearly get away from me at the start!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you missed out on the hit it with a Club Hammer option @Stu,
I joked on this in one of my replies on my own thread, go on, you know it would make a good video 😉 🤣

For those who have concerns about my soundness of thought, it's a joke, it truly it is.
So please resist the temptation to tap test anything astronomical with a Club Hammer.

 

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I confess I was a little uncertain about tapping my lovely Vixen too hard, but I’m sure it didn’t mind my gentle taps. Looking through the eyepiece shows that vibration when focusing was very well controlled.

I may pop the 130mm on it tomorrow if I get the chance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For info, these are the adjustment knobs on the AZ75. All the rest are just for the vixen clamps. It is simpler than the AZ100 because there are no adjustments on the slo mo gearing.

7803E1DF-BC9A-41EE-882B-BECAB58D8B2F.jpeg

950C2D42-6E68-405B-843A-CC6D67F4285E.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some solar observing this afternoon. AZ75 on the skywatcher pillar and Uni-28 again. Scopes are the Tak FC100DC with Baader CoolWedge and Baader Zeiss Mark IV binoviewers and my Vixen 102mm PST mod with TS binoviewers on the other.

Any vibration settles down very quick - around the 1 second mark. There was a little more with this setup which is to be expected as they are heavier and a little longer than just the Tak and Vixen in Astro guise. I found panning around very easy, with very small movements quite possible without stiction. Not quite the same as keeping the target centred with slo motion controls, but still very easy for high power observations. I normally hold the binoviewers much as I would a pair of binoculars, and use them to pan around in the same way.

For full disclosure, I did have the Alt clutch set a little tighter on the second video, enough to hold the binoviewers when the scope was vertical but in reality you would optimise the balance for where you are observing.

 

 

C1F05B78-B48F-415F-ACD3-18D1EE77501C.jpeg

88F166B0-FA73-4BD3-A103-7F929CB9B2EB.jpeg

2BE434C3-07A1-4A22-8FD9-E394A43B850D.jpeg

5D2C0880-948B-4259-9455-7CD1A1E1AF1F.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

Some solar observing this afternoon. AZ75 on the skywatcher pillar and Uni-28 again. Scopes are the Tak FC100DC with Baader CoolWedge and Baader Zeiss Mark IV binoviewers and my Vixen 102mm PST mod with TS binoviewers on the other.

Any vibration settles down very quick - around the 1 second mark. There was a little more with this setup which is to be expected as they are heavier and a little longer than just the Tak and Vixen in Astro guise. I found panning around very easy, with very small movements quite possible without stiction. Not quite the same as keeping the target centred with slo motion controls, but still very easy for high power observations. I normally hold the binoviewers much as I would a pair of binoculars, and use them to pan around in the same way.

For full disclosure, I did have the Alt clutch set a little tighter on the second video, enough to hold the binoviewers when the scope was vertical but in reality you would optimise the balance for where you are observing.

 

 

C1F05B78-B48F-415F-ACD3-18D1EE77501C.jpeg

88F166B0-FA73-4BD3-A103-7F929CB9B2EB.jpeg

2BE434C3-07A1-4A22-8FD9-E394A43B850D.jpeg

5D2C0880-948B-4259-9455-7CD1A1E1AF1F.jpeg

Looks good @Stu 👍🏻
 Do you have a panning handle to try out? I’d be interested to learn how much control you have moving the scope at high power when following, say, a planet.

Also, do you actually need the SW pier extension to ovoid bumping the tripod?. I mount my AZ100 directly on a BB Uni 28 or Planet and have enough clearance. It’s a bit taller that the AZ75 I presume (which I’m thinking is 75% of the height of the AZ100)

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Looks good @Stu 👍🏻
 Do you have a panning handle to try out? I’d be interested to learn how much control you have moving the scope at high power when following, say, a planet.

Also, do you actually need the SW pier extension to ovoid bumping the tripod?. I mount my AZ100 directly on a BB Uni 28 or Planet and have enough clearance. It’s a bit taller that the AZ75 I presume (which I’m thinking is 75% of the height of the AZ100)

Thanks Jeremy. Which scope/s is that with? Certainly the 130mm f6 needs it even with the AZ100, it gets very tight with the tripod at the zenith. Pretty sure the Vixen f8.8 does, might get away without using the Tak FC100DC. Would be interested in seeing, say, your TSA120 pointed at the zenith on the AZ100 for comparison.

This may give you some idea, taken through the PST mod at x250 today. I found panning more difficult when viewing through the phone, more intuitive when actually looking. The tap test at x250 settled after about 2 seconds. I’ll try it without the pillar too on another day. Not sure what the dog was barking at 🤪🤣🐶

EDIT, thinking about it, this was with the x2 lens on my iPhone, so presumably actually x500???

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks Jeremy. Which scope/s is that with? Certainly the 130mm f6 needs it even with the AZ100, it gets very tight with the tripod at the zenith. Pretty sure the Vixen f8.8 does, might get away without using the Tak FC100DC. Would be interested in seeing, say, your TSA120 pointed at the zenith on the AZ100 for comparison.

This may give you some idea, taken through the PST mod at x250 today. I found panning more difficult when viewing through the phone, more intuitive when actually looking. The tap test at x250 settled after about 2 seconds. I’ll try it without the pillar too on another day. Not sure what the dog was barking at 🤪🤣🐶

 

Thanks Stu. I was referring to the FC100 DZ. I’m not sure about the TSA120. I use that without a mini pier as well, but not sure I’ve visited the Zenith with it. Will test when out next time.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Thanks Stu. I was referring to the FC100 DZ. I’m not sure about the TSA120. I use that without a mini pier as well, but not sure I’ve visited the Zenith with it. Will test when out next time.

 

Yes, pretty sure the FC100DC would be ok without the pillar. The LZOS mounts a bit further back because of its beast of a lens and cell, so that’s probably why it needs the pillar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.