Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ75 - Stu’s thoughts

Stu

On 16/10/2021 at 16:44, Stu said:

I’ve just tried it on my Gitzo Mark and this one, with M10 threaded base fits perfectly. Sits very nicely on it too, ideal for a lighter setup.

E5BE2ABF-2030-41C1-B791-BCE7D9A11B5F.jpeg

86FFC030-4FD5-430F-8F80-34E525DA4C03.jpeg

@Stu Have you got an opportunity to try this combo with your FC-100? I have no doubt the AZ75 can handle it, but is the tripod up to the job?

I have a very similar tripod from Leofoto (so far used for a Kowa 883 spotting scope) and I’m looking for a mount to to handle an FC-100DC (1.25” eyepieces exclusively). The Scopetech zero was my first contender till know but I heard about some of those having mechanical issues…

Ideally I would avoid getting a new tripod to handle everything.

Best regards, 

Guillaume

• Like 1

I've ordered and received the following tripod from FLO Uni 28 for AZ-EQ5 as it was the only one they had in stock plus the following adapter https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/astro-essentials-3-8-photo-adapter-for-heq5-az5-tripod.html is this a sensible way to do things?? 

I'm just about to unpack things and check everything works! 

12 minutes ago, Coxy80 said:

I've ordered and received the following tripod from FLO Uni 28 for AZ-EQ5 as it was the only one they had in stock plus the following adapter https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/astro-essentials-3-8-photo-adapter-for-heq5-az5-tripod.html is this a sensible way to do things?? 

Everything seams to fit and feels solid enough!

926BDE78-B802-4068-A7F3-52B7223F67DB.heic 269AE52E-0C25-464B-B911-84523B52FAD2.heic ECC6575F-5FDE-482E-9462-33F1B859BAAB.heic 4ED427BE-1000-46D6-9DB2-B232C44F0CEC.heic

38 minutes ago, Coxy80 said:

This is exactly the configuration I’m using… Uni 28, AZ75 and that exact adaptor 👍

The only suggest, is to make sure that adaptor is screwed tightly… I worried it might unscrew itself, probably unfounded, but I’ve put I’ve put a bit of tape on to check that it hasn’t moved relative to the AZ75 base 🤔

61573B48-0322-4767-99AE-39F22044E5DE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 28/06/2022 at 06:23, Alma said:

The Nexus II works just fine with the AZ75 and I’m using a SmallRig power bank holder to secure it to the mount.  The holder can be screwed in either side of the mount using the spare mounting holes and is a very neat and tidy solution.   

I bought the AZ75 direct from Rowan and so far I’m VERY impressed with it.   It’s beautifully engineered and carries all my scopes comfortably (e.g. C9.25, LZOS 123/738).    

Most impressive of all is the degree of “stiction” control.   I’ve used other alt-az, push-to mounts in the past which use conventional Teflon pads and been frustrated with the constant, often inaccurate nudging to keep the target in view but the Rowan solution works MUCH better and is a dream to use.  Personally, for my style of viewing I’m happier that they didn’t add slo-mo controls, but each to their own.   

5FAB82ED-B5BF-40C2-AADF-1C1E1315812F.jpeg

My Rowan AZ75 w/Nexus II arrived (I will post pictures once my Berlebach ships from Germany). I am very happy with the mount. Looking forward to completing the setup once my scope arrives.

I purchased the SmallRig after seeing your post. My only complaint with the mount and Nexus II is the length of the cables. I understand that they are long to allow the user to install the unit in various locations, but they are twice the length I need. I guess it is time to buy a crimping tool.

• Like 1

Smallrig kit is excellent, I’ve been using a few bits elsewhere at am impressed by it. I hadn’t seen this post so may well get one of the battery holders for my Nexus.

I’ve seen a few people comment on the length of the cables, but in reality I’ve never had a problem with mine catching on anything so they’ve never been an issue.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Smallrig kit is excellent, I’ve been using a few bits elsewhere at am impressed by it. I hadn’t seen this post so may well get one of the battery holders for my Nexus.

I’ve seen a few people comment on the length of the cables, but in reality I’ve never had a problem with mine catching on anything so they’ve never been an issue.

I just need to decide if I want to mount the SmallRig battery holder on the front or the back of the AZ75.

It is not about the functionality of the cables, but rather the aesthetics. If I cannot have internal routing to hid them altogether, I would rather eliminate excess cabling.

Edited by PatientObserver
Typo

32 minutes ago, PatientObserver said:

I just need to decide if I want to mount the SmallRig battery holder on the front or the back of the AZ75.

It is not about the functionality of the cables, but rather the aesthetics. If I cannot have internal routing to hid them altogether, I would rather eliminate exess cabling.

Fair enough. Rowan will have been catering for a variety of devices and positions. If you know exactly what and where it is going then you can make them to the right length, agreed.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Fair enough. Rowan will have been catering for a variety of devices and positions. If you know exactly what and where it is going then you can make them to the right length, agreed.

As a customer, I would much prefer too long rather than too short. Too long I can fix with a modification (or just live with the excess). So I understand their reasoning. I just think it distracts from an otherwise beautiful mount. I am still very happy with their products.

I am still waiting on my tripod. It has been stuck with DHL in Germany with "The shipment was prepared for onward transport" since the 7th.

In the meantime, I contacted Rowan to inquire about the cables. They purchase the cables through Astro Devices who make the Nexus II. As such, I bought some phone line and a crimper and will make my own custom cable.

• 3 weeks later...

After a month of traveling around Germany and then a flight over the Atlantic, my tripod finally arrived. As such, I finally have a tripod to hold my AZ75 for pictures.

I am happy with how the cable came out. No more excess spirals hanging past the base.

I am also pleased with both the look and build quality of the K70 column.

Now to wait for the scope ...

AZ75.jpg

Custom-Cable.jpg

UNI18K70.jpg

• Like 3