Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ75 - Stu’s thoughts

Stu

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

Is it me or is there an uptick in Rowan’s prices in general.
Tracking inflation….

I was just thinking that, but to be fair, it's not just Rowan, it is across the board as far as I can see and certainly not just Astro.

I'm just glad that I got my AZ100 setup last year as looking at today's prices I couldn't justify getting one.

Sadly a sign of the times we're living in I guess. 😟

• Like 4

The 100 is more than my budget allows and I was thinking the 75 could be a very good alternative.  I've had negative experiences with non-slo-mo mounts before though.  I'd hate to buy a 75 and discover I really want slo-mo.  Maybe I'll have to eat rice and beans for a few months to help fund a 100...  🤑

10 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

The 100 is more than my budget allows and I was thinking the 75 could be a very good alternative.  I've had negative experiences with non-slo-mo mounts before though.  I'd hate to buy a 75 and discover I really want slo-mo.  Maybe I'll have to eat rice and beans for a few months to help fund a 100...  🤑

It's a shame you can't try a 75 out and see if it suits.  I don't want to re-ignite the slow-motion/ non slow-motion discussions.  Some people prefer them and some don't, that's all there is to it - at least for experienced observers who have experiences of both types.  You're right in hesitating if you're in this group in my view.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I don't want to re-ignite the slow-motion/ non slow-motion discussions.

Please don’t, my counselling is just starting to have an effect. The twitch has nearly gone….. 🤪🤪🤪

• Haha 5

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Does anyone know if the AZ75 will fit on a Vixen Hal Tripod?

I am not sure of the fitting on the Hal, I think it might be M10, can anyone confirm? I am looking to pair the AZ75 with my FC100DF and want it as light as possible for my grab and go setup.

1 hour ago, Neil P said:

Hi,

Does anyone know if the AZ75 will fit on a Vixen Hal Tripod?

I am not sure of the fitting on the Hal, I think it might be M10, can anyone confirm? I am looking to pair the AZ75 with my FC100DF and want it as light as possible for my grab and go setup.

I have a HAL130 so should be able to check for you tomorrow.

I believe the AZ75 has a 60mm base? In which case it would fit onto older HAL tripods for the GP. It will fit the later HAL tripods (SX) which have a 45mm base only if you use the Vixen 45 - 60 mm adapter. The latter also fits the Rowan AZ100 pier / 10mm adapter which I have used on an SX HAL.

All modern HAL tripods use M10 fixing.

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

I believe the AZ75 has a 60mm base? In which case it would fit onto older HAL tripods for the GP. It will fit the later HAL tripods (SX) which have a 45mm base only if you use the Vixen 45 - 60 mm adapter. The latter also fits the Rowan AZ100 pier / 10mm adapter which I have used on an SX HAL.

All modern HAL tripods use M10 fixing.

The AZ75 has a flat base which I think is 75mm (from the name but I haven’t been able to measure it). The base has threaded holes which Allen bolts can be inserted to allow the mount to locate into different tripods such as EQ6, EQ5 etc. The base thread can be specified as M10, M12 or 3/8” inc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

@Stu is this not your AZ75 , looks like its on HAL with adapter??B2242D4C-5271-40DF-B5DB-387E6423B6A5.thumb.png.b995f4d3fbbae95c7de79d099747ca9a.png.87adbd5526f970805243f28200790461.png

Yes, that’s my setup. It’s an adaptor for a Vixen GP (which I guess is the same as an EQ5?)

I’ve not yet tried it without the adaptor.

Yes that looks like the Vixen 45 -60 adapter for GP (or EQ5 which copied GP no doubt) 🥲. Any way it does fit the 75 presumably with cap screws in the right holes. That was a clever base idea with lots of good tripods to slignhtly different standards.

@Rowan could you add more holes for the 45mmVixen tripods, or is too late ?

(The part no. for the adapter is Vixen 75169)

Part No.added

The AZ75 base has removable outer screws, these can have none fitted,
or be moved into two locations giving two different diameters for varied tripods.
This is something Rowan discussed with me at my factory visit. Quite clever.
So remove the screws and its flat and will fit anything in my opinion, as long as it has no north pin fitted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

will fit anything in my opinion, as long as it has no north pin fitted.

True Alan but although the HAL North pin can be removed (on newer ones), the M10 thread only comes just above the top surface*. About 2 threads on mine, more with the adapter I have. @Neil P beware of this, but otherwise HAL is a good light tripod. You could find a longer M10 hand screw?

* made to suit SX mounts with a deep 45mm spigot.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

True Alan but although the HAL North pin can be removed (on newer ones), the M10 thread only comes just above the top surface*. About 2 threads on mine, more with the adapter I have. @Neil P beware of this, but otherwise HAL is a good light tripod. You could find a longer M10 hand screw?

* made to suit SX mounts with a deep 45mm spigot.

That’s actually a regular problem. The extension which I’m testing for the AZ100/75 won’t fit my AZEQ6 Planet because the centre bolt isn’t long enough. Removing the original one isn’t so easy, so I need to have a play around with it more. Don’t want to damage it though.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

That’s actually a regular problem. The extension which I’m testing for the AZ100/75 won’t fit my AZEQ6 Planet because the centre bolt isn’t long enough. Removing the original one isn’t so easy, so I need to have a play around with it more. Don’t want to damage it though.

Yes Stu, if you break it you've bought it 🙂.

2 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

I needed to replace the screw on my Berlebach UNI too for the AZ100. It did not want to come out @Stu until I found there was a rubber ring under the thread. Once that is slid over the thread (thin screw driver) then it just screws out as you expect.

Thanks for that Stephen, I’ll have another look 👍