Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What are your thoughts about public stargazing events?

kev100

Hi all,

With the bank holiday looming, clear skies forecast, and Jupiter and Saturn nicely placed, it occurred to me that it would be nice to organise a bit of a social in our village, get the scopes out and let people take a look… but then, of course, I got worried about covid again …. should we be sharing eyepieces and telescopes, mingling closer than 2 metres, should the wearing of masks be mandatory, etc.

What are your thoughts. Are we there yet (public sessions), or is it still too dodgy?

Anyone been to or organised something like this recently?

Cheers,

Kev

I agree with Jeremy - people going "scope to scope" is going to be too risky. Not practical to disinfect the eyepiece / focuser in between each observer using it.

Either each take and use their own kit or setup a system where the views are shared on a screen.

• Like 3

You could take a pack of anti septic wipes to give the scope and eyepiece (not optics) a wipe down?

One of the major factors in reducing the risk of Covid transmission is ventilation. I guess you wouldn't need to open the windows!

Require masks when at the scope and wear one yourself.

• Like 1

Tricky at least. If you take for instance CLEAPSS guidance for lab material in schools, they say that after pupils in the same bubble and/or technicians have touched the equipment, everything must be quarantined for 72 hours. Having people from around town touching the scopes/eyepieces is exactly the opposite of what they recommend. If it were just hands I wouldn't be so worried (transmission by surfaces is very low), but sharing eyepieces, well, I personally wouldn't do it. As others have suggested, projecting on a screen may be the best, if possible. If it's a small gathering, a laptop screen may be enough.

Definitely, all must wear masks, especially if using the telescopes. You don't want saliva bits to stick to the surfaces!

Alternatively, what about just drinks and a bit of guidance on finding the constellations, cardinal points, etc? A bit of astro talk about things observable with the naked eye (star colours, planets along the ecliptic, the Pleiades and other basic things), and a promise of telescopes in the future may be just nice!

• Like 1

As tempting and pleasant as it would be it isn't worth the risk. Covid hasn't gone anywhere, and being fully vaccinated doesn't stop you catching it or spreading it; at best it may give you a fighting chance of surviving it. 😷

• Like 5

I think it depends upon several things,

What your local infection rates are like, who's double jabbed, who's follwoing guidance such as hand, face and space etc. and how many youngsters who are not jabbed liley to be involved with this event you are thinking of.
The bigger one is the behaviour local to you in general, anyone being cautious or has caution gone to the wind as in many places?

Being outside is a winner, ventilation is king, but you will have common touch points and using the same eyepieces,
the eye is a quick way in for infection after all.

My cautious side wins and based on what I am seeing in behaviour, your idea is a good idea, but listen to your cation this time and don't do it.

• Like 2

On 27/08/2021 at 16:27, Alan White said:

I think it depends upon several things,

What your local infection rates are like, who's double jabbed, who's follwoing guidance such as hand, face and space etc. and how many youngsters who are not jabbed liley to be involved with this event you are thinking of.
The bigger one is the behaviour local to you in general, anyone being cautious or has caution gone to the wind as in many places?

Being outside is a winner, ventilation is king, but you will have common touch points and using the same eyepieces,
the eye is a quick way in for infection after all.

My cautious side wins and based on what I am seeing in behaviour, your idea is a good idea, but listen to your cation this time and don't do it.

As an organiser of any gathering it's not impossible for anyone who catches the virus to point the finger too. Ther are too many variables and uncertainties to consider.

There's still around 700 people a week dying and 200,000+ infections each week. Covid definitely hasn't gone away.

Social distancing and mask wearing are not as prevalent unfortunately and the population is increasingly fatalistic. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, I too feel that it’s too risky, and the head should rule the heart. It’s a real shame, but there it is, the risks are all too real.

Kev.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It is the right call but it is also a shame. One of the things I've missed the most over the past 18 months are the public outreach sessions that I used to do with my astro society :sad:

We will just have to make up for lost time when we can all safely get together again and observe :thumbright:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Not worried at all.

Common sense (not that theres much of that in the world these days) should prevail.

Its outside, plenty of space, and you'd think if anyone was symptomatic they wouldn't be there.

Many people still put down feeling ill to 'just a cold', and besides that a significant (even potentially the majority now) of infections are passed on by asymptomatic carriers.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

It is the right call but it is also a shame. One of the things I've missed the most over the past 18 months are the public outreach sessions that I used to do with my astro society :sad:

We will just have to make up for lost time when we can all safely get together again and observe :thumbright:

Hi John,

When times are right, what society would that be? I think my nearest would be the Norman Lockyer Observatory, but I'd be interested to hear of others that might be worth a visit.

Adrian

Edited by UKDiver
Poiliteness.

Like John, I really miss shared observing events.  But any visit to the shops round here shows that ‘common sense’ can’t be trusted as a way of ensuring Covid-responsible behaviour.  Personally, I wouldn’t be too worried about being with a few fellow observers I knew out in a field, using my own scope.  But we know the virus is transmissible by the eye-route, so sharing scopes, and specifically eyepieces, sounds like a very bad idea indeed.  Wiping eyepieces doesn’t sound very practical; whatever the stuff used, I wouldn’t want it near my eyes and I can’t imagine it would do the eyepieces much good either.  So, for me, it’s still a non-starter. Helluva shame though … .

• Like 2

You could still organise a social. Arrange for meeting to sit out, each bring along a camping chair, wrap up and point out the planetary movements, key constellations, if dark enough, encourage no light so that folk can dark adapt and maybe see aspects of the Milky Way. Could even be lucky and see the ISS or a meteor. That way maybe even enthuse someone to perhaps consider taking up astronomy. Of course if anyone had a pair of binoculars and whilst sat comfortably, could convey the disk a little.

A few weeks ago I visited by aging parents, took my scope along, however I had been Covid tested prior to the visit and chanced them looking through an eyepiece at the moon. Would not wish to share with a mix of people, particularly now that delta cases are increasing again, one in seventy within the UK as announced today. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kev100 said:

Thanks everyone, I too feel that it’s too risky, and the head should rule the heart. It’s a real shame, but there it is, the risks are all too real.

Kev.

Absolutely the right call. The stars are not going away for a while yet. No need to take a risk like this and you've absolutely no idea who's going to turn up and wheeze all over your eyepiece.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UKDiver said:

Hi John,

When times are right, what society would that be? I think my nearest would be the Norman Lockyer Observatory, but I'd be interested to hear of others that might be worth a visit.

Adrian

Mine is Bristol AS.

The N.L.O is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

There is also the Tiverton and Mid-Devon AS:

http://www.tivas.org.uk/

• Thanks 1

It would be a no no for me.  I'm going to Kelling in a month's time but, as last year, I won't be moving round at night looking through other folks telescopes.  Also, I won't be sharing my telescope with others.  It's just not worth the risk.

Last November I had Covid, and wouldn't wish it on anybody.  Also, a few weeks ago my 25 year old daughter caught Covid despite being double jabbed and taking all precautions.  She's OK now, but then it could have worked out very differently.  Don't take any risks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

The Astronomy Centre remains closed until we consider it safe for both staff and visitors.      ☹️

A very sad and frustrating time for us all. Todmorden is on my list of places to visit if this ever blows over.  Take care Peter and all. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

A very sad and frustrating time for us all. Todmorden is on my list of places to visit if this ever blows over.  Take care Peter and all. 👍

Perhaps we could have an SGL day out there one day 

• Like 2