Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What are your thoughts about public stargazing events?

kev100

Personally I would have tried it. Yes there is coronavirus but the rather general opinion is that we will always have it around - like flu. The original talk was as if it could be in effect wiped out. Create a vaccine and that is the end, just that is not reality. More and more are getting round to saying it is likely to be a permanent background infection. Someone did say that about 20 months ago actually, about a month before the first lockdown was put into operation. Think that they said it will be around for the next 10-20 years.

Two clubs around my area seem to be starting up again and one is definitly starting with outreach, seems after DST ends. Suppose I should also have checked out last weeks LDAS gathering - could ask Grant how it went. They are just 8-10 miles down the A1 from me.

The number of "deaths" is slewed. If you get a positive test and are on a mobile phone to say you cannot attend a meeting and step out in front of the No 68 bus then you are a coronavirus statistic. But the bus was the problem, not the virus. The old saying: There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

In a way as the virus is here to stay, how long are there to be no astro societies ?

By the way the 2 meter distance was reduced over a year ago to 1 meter. Just no-one really dumped to old 2 meter idea. Look at it this way: We are now allowed to hug. 🤔 Maybe that is a bit much, at least for an astro outreach night.

Difficult as I doubt a number of astro clubs will survive, little income and people drift away. If no outreach then no new members, no-one will join a club that is inactive. Maybe Grant will indicate how many turned up at last weeks LDAS members evening meet. Just wonder if the usual number, or more or less.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, PEMS said:

Personally I would have tried it. Yes there is coronavirus but the rather general opinion is that we will always have it around - like flu. The original talk was as if it could be in effect wiped out. Create a vaccine and that is the end, just that is not reality. More and more are getting round to saying it is likely to be a permanent background infection. Someone did say that about 20 months ago actually, about a month before the first lockdown was put into operation. Think that they said it will be around for the next 10-20 years.

Two clubs around my area seem to be starting up again and one is definitly starting with outreach, seems after DST ends. Suppose I should also have checked out last weeks LDAS gathering - could ask Grant how it went. They are just 8-10 miles down the A1 from me.

The number of "deaths" is slewed. If you get a positive test and are on a mobile phone to say you cannot attend a meeting and step out in front of the No 68 bus then you are a coronavirus statistic. But the bus was the problem, not the virus. The old saying: There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

In a way as the virus is here to stay, how long are there to be no astro societies ?

By the way the 2 meter distance was reduced over a year ago to 1 meter. Just no-one really dumped to old 2 meter idea. Look at it this way: We are now allowed to hug. 🤔 Maybe that is a bit much, at least for an astro outreach night.

Difficult as I doubt a number of astro clubs will survive, little income and people drift away. If no outreach then no new members, no-one will join a club that is inactive. Maybe Grant will indicate how many turned up at last weeks LDAS members evening meet. Just wonder if the usual number, or more or less.

As someone who deals with ill covid positive people on a daily basis, I entirely disagree with everything you typed and your death by bus example is internet hogwash. There really are hundreds of people of all ages dying each week because covid killed them directly or combined with even a mild comorbidity resulted in their demise. I am not part of a new world order conspiracy, just someone dealing with ill and anxious people daily.

The already previously stretched but functioning OK NHS is at now at breaking point. Anyone who has a God do some serious praying for us this winter when the likes of flu and norovirus take hold too because masks on faces are disappearing. Yes, Covid is here to stay with us for a while, and the population still  needs to behave responsibly to mitigate infection. Double jabs aren't enough, but used with appropriate mask wearing really does save lives and reduces the pressure on the NHS.

Both my partner and I are watching the NHS and its staff crumble from within. Everyone is worn out but trying to keep going.  I feel tremendously sad and frustrated reading that [removed word].

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Perhaps we could have an SGL day out there one day 

I have always wanted to visit Peter's centre at Todmorden. Perhaps one day when life becomes more normal. I normally organise all outreach event for Herefordshire A.S. but under the current situation won't take the risk - which is a pity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 28/08/2021 at 20:13, PEMS said:

The number of "deaths" is slewed.

Yep, we've only recorded deaths within a month from Covid. All those who take longer to die by slowly drowning in their own secretions don't count. 🤔

Back to the OP.

How well do you know your village community?

Can you be confident that the people you invite will follow your guidelines?

I carried on with our club in school last winter because the classes were in bubbles and didn't come in if they were at all unwell.

I was with them all day, so an hour or so out side after school didn't really make much difference! :D

We wiped everything down, kept our distance and wore masks back then too. :)

Edited by bingevader
Proper use of the English language! :D

14 hours ago, bingevader said:

Yep, we've only recorded deaths within a month from Covid. All those who take longer to die by slowly drowning in their own secretions don't count. 🤔

Back to the OP.

How well do you know your village community?

Can you be confident that the people you invite will follow your guidelines?

I carried on with our club in school last winter because the classes were in bubbles and didn't come in if they were at all unwell.

I was with them all day, so an hour or so out side after school didn't really make much difference! :D

We wiped everything down, kept our distance and wore masks back then too. :)

Hi Ben,

I would have been fairly confident about people following guidelines, and would have made it clear that if you show any symptoms at all then you shouldn't attend. However, although it would have been nice, I decided against it as the risks are just not worth it. It's a real shame. Like many others on here, a lot of the enjoyment I get out of the hobby is through sharing it with others. Also, it's always good to spread the word on what constitutes light pollution and what effects it has.

Oh well :)

Kev

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kev100 said:

Hi Ben,

I would have been fairly confident about people following guidelines, and would have made it clear that if you show any symptoms at all then you shouldn't attend. However, although it would have been nice, I decided against it as the risks are just not worth it. It's a real shame. Like many others on here, a lot of the enjoyment I get out of the hobby is through sharing it with others. Also, it's always good to spread the word on what constitutes light pollution and what effects it has.

Kev

Kev your heart is in the right place undoubtedly, however people just cannot be trusted. Thousands die every week in various circumstances because of our ability to detach and think 'It won't happen to me'. Sad but true.

Also your, 'made it clear that if you show any symptoms at all then you shouldn't attend.'  rule just wouldn't be worth the risk, as so many infections are contracted from people with no symptoms at all. Simply standing close to an asymptomatic infected person while they chat away to you can result in infection. It's a horrible disease, transmitted incredibly easily and how ill one becomes is a lottery.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

I met up with a friend who is a maternity nurse. Increasing numbers of young women having to give induced birth to premature babies because the mothers are quite severely ill with Covid. To compare with flu is nonsense, it ought not matter for how long common sense routine precautions should be implemented, just a pity that in England they are not mandatory any more. Other ways that sharing the experience at a star party or outreach event, will still have many virtues that have been highlighted in this thread.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kev100 said:

Hi Ben,

Kev

A good call, there will be other nights I am sure. :)

• Like 1

Adding to all the statistics and personal experiences. There is never 100% protection even when all measures are followed, the situation is not stable and not predictable yet.

New cases and numbers are coming like children being infected (which were not thought is a danger group before).

Stargazers wouldn’t be an individual group to be noticed in overall statistics, but no need to put more precedents to personal experiences.

This is also not only about being confident of someone, but also to mind your own responsibility for anyone's health.

Patience.

• Like 2