Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy tourist attractions

bish

Hi all,

Where have you been that is a must see? Greenwich and the science museum are on the door step and certainly worth a trip. The Kennedy Space Centre is fantastic. I plan to visit Houston in 2024 on an eclipse trip. Where have you been that is a must visit (assuming no travel restrictions!).

Thanks

I've been to the Griffith Observatory in LA a couple of times (I've family there)...fantastic views, great planetarium, public viewings and it's free 😀

A must see if your 'into' Astronomy (when everything is back to normal)  😉

And of course my local observatory Kielder 👍

Mark

Edited by callisto
change wording
  • Like 1

I've been to the Kennedy Space Centre a few times over the past decade. Saw a launch there in 2017. Greenwich, the Norman Lockyer Observatory (Devon), the National Space Centre in Leicester and Jodrell Bank are all great places to see in the UK.

In 2019 we spent some time in Northern Arizona and visited the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff and somewhere that has been on my wish list for 4 decades - Meteor Crater :grin:

image.thumb.jpeg.f5e9fa853e4594b06d58665798776dbe.jpeg

• Like 4

Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre is local to us.

Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in DC and the Udvar Hazy Centre out by Washington-Dulles International Airport.

The Armstrong Air and Space Museum at Wapakoneta, Ohio ( a surprisingly good selection of items and books in the shop)

• Like 2

The radio telescope at Nançay (in the Cher Department of central France) is an interesting visit - firstly, as a different way of having a radio telescope - but it also has a good visitor centre. In terms of the Michelin Green Guide, not necessarily "worth a journey", but worth a detour - it's a good two or three hours. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nançay_Radio_Observatory

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestions. I drove through flagstaff in 2017 after seeing the eclipse up in Idaho. We were on a fairly tight schedule and didn"t stop overnight. I kick  myself now but at the time had planned to go back fairly soon and spend a good few days in the area. Ended up going to the Kennedy Space Centre the following year to see TESS launch. I can't make our trips all  about space because my wife only has a passing interest. We ended up going to the Space Centre 3 days running because the launch was delayed 

Jodrell Bank is somewhere I really must go as it's not far from me, about 1h 45m. Herstmonceux has been on my list for many years and never made it to one of the events yetm

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bish said:

I can't make our trips all  about space because my wife only has a passing interest.

Indeed!....Disneyland and Universal Studios had to be fitted in somewhere 😄

• Haha 1

The Fabra Observatory on the hill overlooking Barcelona is a pretty nice little place; perhaps not a place to organise a whole visit to the city for, but more a place to organise a visit to if visiting the region.  Then there's also the a couple of other observatories in the area which maybe worth a visit as well, but perhaps not as much of a draw as other, better known places.

• Like 2

I agree with John, Flagstaff is a great place to stay. The Lowell Observatory is an excellent visit, we used the refractor to observe Mars back in 2003 near closest approach.. stunning! Wife and I booked a session with a graduate assistant to operate the scope, I think it cost about $100 all in back then, fantastic sense of history, no canals though!

Day trips to meteor crater, the petrified forest, Grand Canyon and then a long drive over to Mount Wilson and Mount Palomar. Tour of Mount Wilson was excellent with access into all domes and great guides. Mount Palomar a little more limited but I had wanted to see the 200” since a young boy,  even through a viewing window it was stunning. Mirror was out being cleaned so had a good sight of it. Walking towards the dome you gradually realise how huge it is!

Fingers crossed if things get back to normal we would certainly go back, ran out of time to see everything.

Linton

• Like 1

Mauna Kea observatory, Big Island, Hawaii. A fantastic trip out with awesome views and a truly dark sky to enjoy on the decent for a bit of stargazing (no public allowed to remain at the observatory level after dark).

A special treat arranged by Mrs Swoop as we did our honeymoon 30 years late.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Oldfort said:

Stonehenge.

Excellent suggestion. To which I'll add Newgrange (or the whole Brú na Bóinne site). A fascinating visit including a guided tour of the Neolithic monuments.

When we were there, English Heritage members got free or reduced entry (can't remember which). 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gfamily said:

Excellent suggestion. To which I'll add Newgrange (or the whole Brú na Bóinne site). A fascinating visit including a guided tour of the Neolithic monuments.

When we were there, English Heritage members got free or reduced entry (can't remember which). 

Yes, Newgrange is a terrific site. Sadly when I went I drew the short straw and had to stay outside with my three year old. 

• Like 1

On 18/07/2021 at 05:10, Gfamily said:

We are off to the Boyne Valley for a week. It's been yrs since I visited Newgrange. We might just take a trip. We may even drive to Birr to see the Leviathan, even though its in Offaly. Was at some time, the largest telescope in the world. The scope is gone, but the rest is original.

Great_Telescope,_Birr,_Offaly_1.jpg

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1