NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another month... Another named full moon...

skyhog

ย 

Found this list of moon names.

Novemberโ€™s moon is the Beaver Moon. There is the Harvest Moon, which many people place in fall, but then there are Moons for specific harvests: Corn Moon, Barley Moon, Hay Moon, Grain Moon, Fruit Moon, Nut Moon, Blackberry Moon, Strawberry Moon.ย 

There are moons for killing: Buck Moon, Hunterโ€™s Moon, Hare Moon, Sturgeon Moon. There are Moons for growing things: Pink Moon (when the first spring flowers appear), Egg Moon, Budding Moon. There are Moons for harder times: Little Famine Moon, Big Famine Moon, Hungry Moon, Bony Moon, Dying Moon.

There is a regular old Blood Moon, and then there is the special Blood Moon of the lunar eclipse, which glows red. There is the well-known Blue Moon, the second full moon in the same calendar month, but there is also a Black Moon a monthโ€™s second new moon.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, skyhog said:

So this month's moon is the "pink" moon.... Don't remember them having names when I was a child. Still today's headlines imploring everyone not to miss tonight's pink offering... ๐Ÿ™„

Is there not sufficient actual news ? Really ?ย 

I suppose they have to put something in between the adverts, but I thought the silly season was in August when (in the northern hemisphere anyway) things goes quiet while movers, shakers and disaster makers are mostly away on their holidays.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, johninderby said:

ย 

Found this list of moon names.

Novemberโ€™s moon is the Beaver Moon. There is the Harvest Moon, which many people place in fall, but then there are Moons for specific harvests: Corn Moon, Barley Moon, Hay Moon, Grain Moon, Fruit Moon, Nut Moon, Blackberry Moon, Strawberry Moon.ย 

There are moons for killing: Buck Moon, Hunterโ€™s Moon, Hare Moon, Sturgeon Moon. There are Moons for growing things: Pink Moon (when the first spring flowers appear), Egg Moon, Budding Moon. There are Moons for harder times: Little Famine Moon, Big Famine Moon, Hungry Moon, Bony Moon, Dying Moon.

There is a regular old Blood Moon, and then there is the special Blood Moon of the lunar eclipse, which glows red. There is the well-known Blue Moon, the second full moon in the same calendar month, but there is also a Black Moon a monthโ€™s second new moon.

Enough moons for two per month! There ought to be some balance though: Good News Moon, Money Moon, New Baby Moon, and... erm...Xmas Cake Moon๐Ÿ˜„

Because I'm deemed to know such things, I very often get a message from someone asking if I'll be out looking at x moon tonight. It's certainly an irony that full moons are something I've probably never turned a telescope onto...ย 

• Like 1

I must say I get all โ€˜bah humbugโ€™ about these names. Pink fluffy, super duper blah blah Moon ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ It just smacks of popularism to me. At the end of the day, you are either interested in astronomy/the Moon for its own sake, or you arenโ€™t. Calling it something โ€˜coolโ€™ย doesnโ€™t change what it looks like, and itโ€™s not really muchย more โ€˜superโ€™ than a regular Moon, 7% bigger than average and 14% bigger than a โ€˜micro Moonโ€™ ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช. I enjoy any full Moon, they all look pretty similar to me.

My sincere apologies to those that enjoy these names, I mean no offence. We can and should all enjoy astronomy any way we like, itโ€™s just not for me.

ย 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Someone asked me at the weekend whether I was excited by the upcoming Pink Moon. Err.. Nope!

So I gave the full rant about this fad for silly names for full Moons and people thinking they have some basis in astronomy. I'm all for highlighting the cultural significance of astronomical events but these aren't they.

Having said that, I usuallyย do call the full Moon by some choice names that might not makeย it passed the forum's auto moderationย ๐Ÿ™Šย ย 

I'm not an egg laying turtle, a spawning coral or a farmer ploughing a field. I have no use for a full Moon - ever!!ย :cussing:

And breath...ย ๐Ÿคฃ

• Haha 1

It's not just me then.

My dad keeps asking me about the latest <insert superlative + favourite colour + animal of choice> moon, and I keep telling him it's all nonsense.
The only types of moon are (i) blue, and (ii) preventing me from seeing the Leo triplet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

It's not just me then.

My dad keeps asking me about the latest <insert superlative + favourite colour + animal of choice> moon, and I keep telling him it's all nonsense.
The only types of moon are (i) blue, and (ii) preventing me from seeing the Leo triplet.

Next month, lets all tell everyone we are anticipating a truly lovely Mega Puce Gerbil Moon ๐Ÿ™‚

Heather

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Paul M said:

As luck would have it, this popped up on my Youtube feed. A local amateur who I only recently discovered had this astro channel. He is better known for his Blackpool local interest channel ( A walk On The Wild Side) Anyway, I give you the Pink Super Moon!

ย 

Enjoyed that, thanks Paul. Amusing chap ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Stu said:

Enjoyed that, thanks Paul. Amusing chap ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘

Yes, he's a character!

A few weeks ago I nearly posted a link to one of his Walk on The Wild Side videosย in which he took a picture of Barrow Town Hall clock from Blackpool seafront using that WO scope.

Here it is, and as Stephen would say " 'ave a look at that!" :)

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2021 at 15:42, skyhog said:

So this month's moon is the "pink" moon.... Don't remember them having names when I was a child. Still today's headlines imploring everyone not to miss tonight's pink offering... ๐Ÿ™„

I saw on the news a couple of days ago that it was a Super Moon. The media has a lot to answer for.

Thank goodness for that, I am not the only one that gets wound up by this.

The wife tells me off when I lecture someone after being asked about Super, Wolf, Blood, Lilac, Pink etc etc moons.

I reckon It,s this sensationalist age we are in, fueled by social media and advertisingย  most things have to be hyped to grab readers/viewers attention these days.

Just watch a few telly programmes and count how many times the words Brilliant, Fantastic, Incredible crop up. Sign of the times unfortunately.

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, philj said:

Just watch a few telly programmes and count how many times the words Brilliant, Fantastic, Incredible crop up. Sign of the times unfortunately.

You forgot "iconic" (amongst any number of other hype-speak words)

Its the same for weather. What used to be called "winter" is now a weather bomb or polar vortex of doom, dont know where it will end really.

Cant wait for the next one that DOESNT have a name attached to it- might be more unique than all the others!

ย 

• Like 1