Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello all

Pitch Black Skies

Hello all,

My name is Alan and I'm from Ireland. Thanks to @faulksy for the invitation to this great forum. It seems like a place of good atmosphere ☺️😁, and it seems there is an abundance of useful information and guidance.

I am a complete beginner and my first telescope is the Skyliner Classic 200p (f5.9). I am really enjoying my time with the telescope but I am eager to build up some experience and eyepieces.

The scope came with the standard 10mm & 25mm Modified Achromats. I immediately purchased an Orion 2x Shorty Barlow, Turn Left at Orion and, 2 cheap Plössl eyepieces from eBay. The cheap Plössl are poor quality.

From reading posts, it was a toss up between getting BST Starguiders, Stellalyra LERs or OVL Nirvana's. I opted for the Nirvana's for the larger FOV for ease while manually driving the dob. I have a 32mm Panaview on the way for low power and a 16mm Nirvana on the way for medium power. For high power I will probably look to get the 7m & 4mm Nirvana's in time.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 4

Hi Alan, 

Welcome to the forum. It is indeed a fabulous place to get ideas, encouragement and advice. The people here have helped me immeasurably on my journey.

I have the same model of Dobsonian, the 250mm version, and it is in constant use, when I am doing the boring bits of astrophotography (the data collection!). For a variety of reasons, including availability 2nd hand, I ended up with a set of Baader Hyperions that have served me well. I wear glasses, so have to be a bit fussy about which eyepieces suit.

But the eyepiece that has given me most pleasure is an OVL Aero ED 40mm. You want to see rich star-fields? Something of this focal length is a real winner. The OVL version is currently unavailable from FLO, but I am sure that other manufacturers will do just as well, I just haven't tried them. Your Panaview should be excellent.

Good Luck.

Edited by old_eyes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Alan, welcome to the lounge.

I second old eyes and the lower power eyepieces, they give you a wider field which is great for getting a true feel of what is up there (wide field of view) and

really helps you to find things so once you stumble upon an object of interest then you can up the power as desired... but above all have fun, that is what it

is all about so enjoy.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Pitch Black Skies said:

Hello all,

My name is Alan and I'm from Ireland. Thanks to @faulksy for the invitation to this great forum. It seems like a place of good atmosphere ☺️😁, and it seems there is an abundance of useful information and guidance.

I am a complete beginner and my first telescope is the Skyliner Classic 200p (f5.9). I am really enjoying my time with the telescope but I am eager to build up some experience and eyepieces.

The scope came with the standard 10mm & 25mm Modified Achromats. I immediately purchased an Orion 2x Shorty Barlow, Turn Left at Orion and, 2 cheap Plössl eyepieces from eBay. The cheap Plössl are poor quality.

From reading posts, it was a toss up between getting BST Starguiders, Stellalyra LERs or OVL Nirvana's. I opted for the Nirvana's for the larger FOV for ease while manually driving the dob. I have a 32mm Panaview on the way for low power and a 16mm Nirvana on the way for medium power. For high power I will probably look to get the 7m & 4mm Nirvana's in time.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Alan

hi alan. told you that you would love it here 🤣.

enjoy matey. quite a few from ireland on here, they will sure welcome you. just look out for the fella with a 15 obsession 😁

• Haha 1

A warm welcome to SGL, eyepieces are subjective people like different ones when I started I asked the same question as many do. 

Options join a Astronomy society and look through other people's eyepieces to see what you like. 

I see you have sent for Nirvana's not used them myself I went the BST route and for the money was really happy with my choice. 

Enjoy your scope and eyepieces and see how you get on the main thing is get out and look up. 

Best wishes 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...