Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So, new Christmas Present and only 1 clear night...is this normal?

Albion

I bought a scope off a fellow member at the beginning of November and had another for Christmas. Since the first one appeared they've been out twice each and I admit to crying off one night that I could have used. So at the moment, I'd say you're about par for the course. We do seem to have been unduly cursed for unduly long.

I truly pity you UK based astronomers.  Perhaps you could consider moving to the Australian Outback for more consistently clear skies? 🤔

We've had plenty of pretty decently clear nights here in Texas.  I've just been a bit too wiped out by the whole holidays thing to do much observing recently.

10 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I truly pity you UK based astronomers.  Perhaps you could consider moving to the Australian Outback for more consistently clear skies? 🤔

We've had plenty of pretty decently clear nights here in Texas.  I've just been a bit too wiped out by the whole holidays thing to do much observing recently.

Everything bigger in Texas ... even the runs of clear nights.

I understand now why some amateur observers like their kit to look cool as well as perform well - it's because they spend so long admiring it in their lounges.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Everything bigger in Texas ... even the runs of clear nights.

I understand now why some amateur observers like their kit to look cool as well as perform well - it's because they spend so long admiring it in their lounges.

sorry about that, I'll make sure I get mis-matched equipment next time...I wouldn't want to offend your sensibilities.

17 hours ago, Louis D said:

I truly pity you UK based astronomers.  Perhaps you could consider moving to the Australian Outback for more consistently clear skies? 

You've got that exactly right, the best thing we could do is leave the country!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Louis D said:

I guess it's no surprise then that Moonraker Telescopes is based out of the UK.

gold-5-of-9_orig.jpg

At least owning that telescope would take up the many hours of free time we get in the UK keeping it all looking all shiny and new with 'Brasso'- 

220px-Brassowadding.JPG

All those tiny corners and grooves demanding a polish before the tarnish sets in once more. We have little else to do here while waiting for the cloud/rain/snow/fog to clear away. By then of course it will be June and the night sky too light for imaging under. Sigh. 😷

Cheers,
Steve

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SteveNickolls said:

We have little else to do here while waiting for the cloud/rain/snow/fog to clear away.

Sounds like New York weather.  I lived upstate for 6 years, and the weather was awful to say the least.  Even clear days were beset with smog that made clear skies look gray.  I didn't get into astronomy until I moved to Deep in the heart of Texas.

The stars at night
Are big and bright
Deep in the heart of Texas

The prairie sky
Is wide and high

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Louis D said:

I am actually thinking of buying a house in southern France after I retire. Better weather than the Netherlands, and better food too. I speak the language well enough as well

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Sounds like New York weather.  I lived upstate for 6 years, and the weather was awful to say the least.  Even clear days were beset with smog that made clear skies look gray.  I didn't get into astronomy until I moved to Deep in the heart of Texas.

The stars at night
Are big and bright

The prairie sky
Is wide and high

I am thinking of visiting Texas in April 2024. No prizes for guessing why 😁😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I am actually thinking of buying a house in southern France after I retire. Better weather than the Netherlands, and better food too. I speak the language well enough as well

I'm thinking of buying a house in the mountains of southeastern New Mexico after I retire.  Less humid and cooler summers than Texas, pitch black skies (Bortle 2/3), and mostly clear nights.  The food?  Well, I'll take Texas barbecue and Tex-Mex over their Southwestern cuisine any day.  I speak New Mexican well enough, I guess.

13 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I'm thinking of buying a house in the mountains of southeastern New Mexico after I retire.  Less humid and cooler summers than Texas, pitch black skies (Bortle 2/3), and mostly clear nights.  The food?  Well, I'll take Texas barbecue and Tex-Mex over their Southwestern cuisine any day.  I speak New Mexican well enough, I guess.

Make sure it has an annex for all your British visitors 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteveNickolls said:

At least owning that telescope would take up the many hours of free time we get in the UK keeping it all looking all shiny and new with 'Brasso'- 

220px-Brassowadding.JPG

All those tiny corners and grooves demanding a polish before the tarnish sets in once more. We have little else to do here while waiting for the cloud/rain/snow/fog to clear away. By then of course it will be June and the night sky too light for imaging under. Sigh. 😷

Cheers,
Steve

If i had that Moonraker scope it would be serious trouble for me, I would not be able to keep my hands off it, it is so beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1